Recommendations for floor pump for Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran

BTW: One downside/limitation of the Lidl pump you bought can be seen in the technical data: The nominal pressure is 7 bar / 100 PSI, the max allowable pressure 8 bar / 116 PSI. On can fairly assume that with most pumps the max. pressure is way beyond the level what's comfortable to pump with them and even the "nominal" pressure can be challenging. The Brompton is using high pressure tires. If we look at the pressures they require we see i.e.:
Kojak in Brompton size: 8 bar https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/kojak
Marathon: 7,5 bar https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon
Marathon+: 7,5 bar https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-plus
Continental Urban: 8 bar https://www.bike-components.de/de/Continental/Contact-Urban-16-Drahtreifen-p81029/
Schwalbe One: 7 bar https://www.brompton.com/shop/parts/schwalbe-one-tanwall-tyre#specs
Schwalbe Marathon Racer: 7,5 bar https://www.brompton.com/shop/parts/schwalbe-marathon-racer-tyre-reflective-strip#specs

So if you'd like to pump up your tires on the Brompton to or close to the max pressure recommended by the manufacturer (which I'd recommend at least for the rear wheel to gain better rolling resistance and even more, if you are a heavier rider) you are with your new pump at or above the limit what this pump can deliver. Which is a bit of a bummer given that you bought it for one single reason: To pump higher pressures easily as your former Aldi pump failed to achieve that.

In comparison, a Toppeak Joe Blow Sport is specified to 11 bar / 160 PSI which makes it easy and comfy to reach Brompton pressures, as tey are well in the middle of what it is able to deliver. The SKS Rennkompressor is even specified for 16 bar/230 psi, so to achieve Brompton pressures are a snap with it.

In the UK, the Joe Blow is available from GBP33 at the moment, in Germany from below 30€.

It seems like you possibly did a little of a suboptimal investement and made you life harder instead of your tire (as the intention was). :whistle:

berlinonaut

Veteran
FWIW, I also had an SKS Rennkompressor. It was hopeless. The stupid thing won't stand up as the folding feet are too small. The supplied EVA head didn't work at all (read the reviews; they rarely function). Replaced with dual head. Sort of worked, although the pressure trapped in the hose is unnerving when removing it from the valve. Then the gauge just fell apart. I threw it away and repaired my old Joe Blow instead.

Just realized that they brought out a newer version of the Rennkompressor, the Rennkompressor NX. Seems as if it deals with most of the criticisms on the original like tipping over and being a bit of low height. But obviously it is not yet a classic. And still has the debatable SKS pump heads: https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/rennkompressor-nxt/
Regarding the heads: The SKS multivalve heads require the the valve being at the 12 o'clock position of the wheel to work properly, thus having the pump head upside down. A bit annoying when the bike is in a work stand due to more lenght of the pump tube needed. Following that clearly enhances reliability of the head, still other heads work better in my opinion.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I bought an electric pump to keep my car tires up when the tires register low because of temp drops. There is no free air at gas stations anymore, and it is very convenient to be able to do this at home. I have both a Park and a Lezyne floor pump but the electric one is so much easier.

Kell

Veteran
I got an el cheapo floor pump from either Lidl or Aldi for a fiver. But it's rubbish. Cheaply made using very hard, brittle plastics and the head keeps coming off.

I bought it as a spare because it was just a fiver.

I'm guessing you have more trouble with the rear wheel as the spokes are crossed and there is less room, the front wheel is a lot easier as the spokes are radially laced.

Just updating this - I've just binned the cheapo floor pump. I was trying to pump up my Road Bike tyre (130 PSI) and you know when you've not got it on quite right and you're not actually putting any air in? Well that happened and then the handle came off when I pulled up. Unfortunately, the shaft then sprung up with however much force behind it and slammed into my thumb. At first I thought it had just hit it, but because it's an open piece of tubing it sliced a great big half-moon.

I managed to stick it back down, but decided the pump had to go.

Thumb.jpg

Kell

Veteran
I still have one I bought from John Lewis many moons ago which is good, but it's the last one I bought.

In hindsight, I agree with @berlinonaut that buying cheaply often means buying twice. Or three times. Certainly for the price I ended up paying for three pumps, I could have got a JoeBlow version.

Before the JL and Crivit pumps I had one from SKS. I bought it as it was metal and looked sturdy, but it was also rubbish. Every time you pulled up, the cap on the end of the pump body would come off as there was no stopper.

It was retro-styled - a bit like this, but not identical as this one looks like the end cap screws on. The version I had was just a press fit.

983780444_431x768.jpg

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

I actually had floor pump before Brompton. It still works, just not the best. The issue is quite high pressure required for Brompton tyres. For any other use (and for other bicycles not requiring high pressure) floor pump is fine. Lidl pump has surprisingly similar look to Joe Blow. I don't have both pumps, so can't compare height and all, but from first sight it looks quite similar. The most similar feature is the handle. It is almost identical. Gauge is much bigger on Lidl pump. Once I will get a chance I will take some closeup pictures and people with other types of pumps will be able to check for themselves.

I am actually thinking to buy another Lidl product- Crivit mini bike pump. It is probably something I would rarely use and in case of a flat my most likely action is just to fold a bike and use public transportation. On other hand one included with Brompton (that was hanging on a metal bits of a frame) is absolute bottom of the line. I guess in absolute emergency it is better than nothing, but come on...

View attachment 657657

I bought one of these - It seems excellent and pumps the Brompton tyres (although as is any small pump, about 100 pumps!) It also fits within the seatpin of the Bromton, so is easily stored if you have the required 'bung' for the lower end of the seatpin. It looks anf feels identical to alloy (so called CNC) pumps costing many times more.

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
once you’ve bought one of these bad boys, there’s no going back.

View attachment 699120

I want one. I assume it's some kind of sex toy. How does it work?

Fastpedaller

View attachment 657635 Topic is old, but here is my 2 cents... Bought one today. Seems very well made for the price. Almost all metal with some plastic bits. Before I had foot pump from Aldi, but that one turned out rubbish- very hard to pump and it was taking forever to inflate the tyre. The Lidl one is on sale this week, so I would say it is worth to take a look.

I bought one of these a couple of days ago. It's very similar to the one i bought a couple of years ago, nice and sturdy. One difference is the connector, which seems to be an improvement over the previous. Rather than the 'automatic' 2-hole connector, this one has a 'remove it and turn it round' screw-in which seems to fit nicely to the valve. Only problem I can identify is the gauge reads about 10PSI over both my electronic gauge and simple pencil gauge, which both read similar and indeed appear to be fairly accurate. The Gauge is not a big issue to me, so IMHO at £10 it's good value for money.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I don't know. Many years ago I had an Aldi floor pump which was really well made and used for pumping up tyres on many different bikes and vehicles. Then a seal went and I couldn't get spares. Somewhere in between I've had a few Aldi or Lidl pumps but they've never been as good. I must have been introduced to Joe Blow floor pumps about ten years ago and found them to be consistently good. However, in recent years I've dabbled in more off beat bikes with smaller wheels and the enormous head on the Joe Blow can be frustrating at times to get in between those closely based spokes. Even with a full sized old school frame type pump it can be a struggle to get up to pressure. My small wheeled bikes all have schrader valves now. It's hard enough getting the pump head on without the additional trauma of worrying about snapping off the screw on Presta valves -best kept for 700C wheels.

I'd thought of using valve extenders, both curved or straight, but apart from the possibility of loosening or leakage, they would probably be a magnet for passing meddlers.

The other alternative would be to fit a hose complete from something else, if not the head, which might be a more accessible fit while keeping the effectiveness of the Joe Blow pump. Any mini pump, no matter how effective, is only going to be a get you home, or get you to a better pump, device for those who like to have max pressure in their tyres.

I do have a spare set of seals etc for my Joe Blow, but have never had to use them yet.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I don't know. Many years ago I had an Aldi floor pump which was really well made and used for pumping up tyres on many different bikes and vehicles. Then a seal went and I couldn't get spares. Somewhere in between I've had a few Aldi or Lidl pumps but they've never been as good. I must have been introduced to Joe Blow floor pumps about ten years ago and found them to be consistently good. However, in recent years I've dabbled in more off beat bikes with smaller wheels and the enormous head on the Joe Blow can be frustrating at times to get in between those closely based spokes. Even with a full sized old school frame type pump it can be a struggle to get up to pressure. My small wheeled bikes all have schrader valves now. It's hard enough getting the pump head on without the additional trauma of worrying about snapping off the screw on Presta valves -best kept for 700C wheels.

I'd thought of using valve extenders, both curved or straight, but apart from the possibility of loosening or leakage, they would probably be a magnet for passing meddlers.

The other alternative would be to fit a hose complete from something else, if not the head, which might be a more accessible fit while keeping the effectiveness of the Joe Blow pump. Any mini pump, no matter how effective, is only going to be a get you home, or get you to a better pump, device for those who like to have max pressure in their tyres.

I do have a spare set of seals etc for my Joe Blow, but have never had to use them yet.

With regard to the Brompton and its small wheels, I think the Schwalbe inner tubes have longer valves which add to the awkwardness.

berlinonaut

Veteran
the Joe Blow can be frustrating at times to get in between those closely based spokes.
Personally I don't have that problem with the Joe Blow. It is a tight fit sometimes but even on a Brompton rear wheel with a Rohloff Hub, 32 spokes AND disc brakes - which is as tight as it can probably get - there are none.

However: SKS offer a thing with the funny name "Zipflinger": https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/zipflinger/

11161_zipflinger-500x500.png

I bought one many years ago as I had issues with the SKS pump heads on the Brompton and thought it was worth a try. Found it a bit cumbersome and went back to not using it. Maybe it is what you are searching for.

Top Bottom