Recommendations for GPS Bike Computer primarily for navigation...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Thanks, I'll take a look.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've just bought one (Etrex 20X). What open source mapping do you suggest, and where do I go to download it? I need UK and Western Europe.
You know it's been so long since I set it up that I can't remember which maps I used. I'll try to jog my memory but in the meantime I'm sure there are other people with more experience than me who will be able to offer an opinion.

MikeG

Guru
Right, so I've got a nice new-to-me Etrex 20x (A), and some routes planned out on ridewithgps (B). I clearly need something else to get (B) onto (A). Could someone give me a clue?

D

Deleted member 23692

You'll need Garmin USB drivers and a USB -to mini USB cable. You'll need to set the eTrex to 'Mass Storage' on the screen when you connect it to the PC

Once they are taking to each other just copy the GPX file to your computer and then copy it to the the GPX folder on the Etrex (not the SD Card)

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeG

Guru
Sorry to appear clueless, but the GPX files I create on ridewithgps aren't recognised by any of the software on my computer, so when I try to take them from the programme into a file somewhere on my computer, I get a "how do you want to open this app" message. Could someone please walk me through this step by step.

D

Deleted member 23692

Ignore that message as you don't need to open it on your computer. All you're doing is getting the file off the web to transfer to the eTrex.

I've just watched this, and it's correct in what it says -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9XMSYHF0WE

Incidentally, if you do want to open a gpx file then then just drag it into a browser of your choice....et voila :smile: but don't click any 'always open using this program' box!

Top Bottom