Recommendations for matte/matt frame protection tapes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snazpizaz

Hi

I've shortlisted 5 types of frame protection tape based on reading forums:
1. 3M 8671HS - otherwise known as 3M's standard helicopter tape
2. 3M VENTURESHIELD - 203 and 355 micron thickness option - also used in Invisiframe products.
3. Suntek tape - i don't know about this product
4. Rhino-Hide tape - mixed reviews
5. Paragon tape - not many reviews

My issue is that my frame is matt black and the M3 products i favour apparently no longer come in matte, only high and semi gloss.

So i'm putting a general call out on the above for folks feedback about using them AND suitability for matt frames.

cheers folks - appreciated
sp
N.B. I'm not soliciting opinions on disapproval of frame protector tape - thanks for keeping these to yourselves.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I just have standard 3M helicopter tape on mine and it does not show up too much at all.

pawl

Legendary Member
What exactly is Helicopter tape who sells it?
I'll go ahead and ask the newbie question, then: why is it called helicopter tape?

Didn’t see your query re Helicopter Tape I have asked the same question I have often seen it referred to on here but like you I have no idea what it is.I have a vision of a Chinook helicopter 🚁 being held together with the stuff🚁🚁😀😀😀

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@snazpizaz - did you try any of these? If so how have you found them?

I'm about to buy a frame protection set for my son's new Ridley Noah that's due, although it'll be a generic one since there's no specific frame tape kit available.

There's the Bike Shield protection kit but otherwise tape rolls. I've not found an alternative yet.

I use/have used helicopter tape for years. The thicker stuff is best, but a bit trickier to apply. Cut it to size and shape first. Then warm it with a hair dryer whilst you apply it. (A second pair of hands can be useful)

Lasts for years and is easily removed after warming with said hairdryer. Leaves no residue.

A lot cheaper than the made to measure stuff, and just as effective.

I'll go ahead and ask the newbie question, then: why is it called helicopter tape?
Bit of a late answer, but it is called helicopter tape, or more usually heli tape because it is usually applied over the leading edges of helicopter rotors to protect against all the **** floating around in the atmosphere that could damage the leading edges.

dretbon

The Paragon tapes are good also. They have matte and glossy ones.

Tom B

Guru
Perhaps a day late and dollar short on this one and it Depends what you are doing but I have Lizard skin pre cut patches in Carbon Black effect on my Matt black bike.

Theyre quite thick and I'm at the point where I don't care now, but at the time they was quite unobtrusive

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

@snazpizaz - did you try any of these? If so how have you found them?

I'm about to buy a frame protection set for my son's new Ridley Noah that's due, although it'll be a generic one since there's no specific frame tape kit available.

There's the Bike Shield protection kit but otherwise tape rolls. I've not found an alternative yet.

Hi - sorry - late reply - yes i used the bike shield and i liked it alot - i also used some heli tape see images:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/brompton-in-old-fashioned-upright-style-completed.276219/

the bike shield is pretty invisible but the heli-tape (frame) was a bit glossy (mudguards)
sp

Top Bottom