Recommendations for packable warm evening top...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

contadino

Veteran
Just dusting off my gear ready for a few overnight trips. In 2019 I mostly stayed in YHAs and b&bs, so I'm now lacking a warm jacket/fleece for sitting around in the evening when camping. It'll all be tarp/bivi, so no longer have a tent to hide in from the cold.

Needs to be warm (I feel the cold) and ideally pack down small. Any suggestions welcome. No budget as such but I'll scoff at more than £200. I guess it needn't be bike specific.

Thanks.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Rab do some lovely down lightweight jackets which pack down well small - I swear by mine.

If you're thinking of a down jacket then have a look at Cumulus - a Polish company.
I've a sleeping bag from them that I rate highly.
They do a range of outdoor clothing. Not cheap, certainly, but I've found good quality, good warranty and possibility for repairs.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Pick up a Uniqlo down jacket in their sale, also a down waistcoat in same. Very cheap for what they are* (which is surprisingly good quality) and you get the versatility of multiple combinations of garment.

*Even better if you're not fussed about that fashion lark and having the latest colour - IIRC mine cost me sub £40 the pair and pack into no space at all.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Pick up a Uniqlo down jacket in their sale, also a down waistcoat in same. Very cheap for what they are* (which is surprisingly good quality) and you get the versatility of multiple combinations of garment.

*Even better if you're not fussed about that fashion lark and having the latest colour - IIRC mine cost me sub £40 the pair and pack into no space at all.
I’ve got a couple in different colours; they’re warm and pack down to nothing. They’re also an absolute bargain, especially if you can get one cheap in one of their regular sales.

OP
OP
contadino

contadino

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions.

What's the scoop with down? If it gets wet is it ruined forever, or is it just not very warm until it dries out again?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Thanks for the suggestions.

What's the scoop with down? If it gets wet is it ruined forever, or is it just not very warm until it dries out again?

Tumble dry on low heat restores it. When wet the feathers clump , losing their loft, and thus the insulation. But with a decent sized tarp you can sit under if wet, no problem.

Consider treating the jacket with down loft from Nikwax.

Also consider lighting a small fire when stopped. A fire pit can work well if you bring a small trowel which doubles up for toilet duties. A small amount of cotton wool, olive oil, and a steel strike does the job for starting a fire with twigs etc.

Top Bottom