Recommended chippies fish and chips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A bloke who'd owned a chip shop in Oldham (ex Lancashire...politically,not geographically wise of course:smile:),told me many years ago (1987 to be precise;)) that the inviting smell you get from chip shops is the smell of monosodium glutamate,made and used for that purpose. Is this true i wonder?🤔

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Summat (puts northern accent on:whistle:) tells me such chemicals weren't about in Alf's day.

1612578808584.png

1612578489510.png

Attachments

• 1612577214824.png
    1612577214824.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 1612578549189.png
    1612578549189.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1612578780662.png
    1612578780662.png
    318 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Billy can eat anything, anywhere, anytime. As we were in Glasgie he ordered a deep fried Mars Bar for pudding. Absolutely revolting stuff. The other three of us bought one between us. Billy ate what we rejected!
Having had an Edinburgh fish supper, which consisted of 2x pieces of fish in batter & the equivalent of 3 bags of chips, covered in salt & sauce, I was totally over faced, a few months later back at home, we decided to have a chippy tea, the driver of a Glaswegian truck went in just before me and asked for a fish supper, the shop assistant seemed a bit out of it with his accent, but gave him fish and chips, the poor bloke walked out shaking his head saying, "Thats no a fish supper" she said to me what did he want? I said he was expecting twice as much food as he got!

DRM

Guru
There's also something in my mind that a fish cake in 'Ull is an entirely different thing to that sold in the West Riding, ie its mushed up fish and potato in batter, rather than a bit of fish sandwiched between to large slices of potato in batter, the latter I think is called a patty over there

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
There's also something in my mind that a fish cake in 'Ull is an entirely different thing to that sold in the West Riding, ie its mushed up fish and potato in batter, rather than a bit of fish sandwiched between to large slices of potato in batter, the latter I think is called a patty over there
Never heard of that one.
Used to be known as a scallop in Lincoln; don't know whether it still is, as I haven't had one in decades!

While I'm here, a quick plug for two within walking distance of chez braconnier.
Oceans, my usual port of call: Oceans fish & chip shop in Nottingham (restaurantguru.com)
and Apollo, which is actually nearer. Might pop in there later today: APOLLO FISH BAR CARLTON, Nottingham - Restaurant Reviews & Phone Number - Tripadvisor

Two more in mid-Lincolnshire which are reliably good, Greyfriers in Stickney, which was coal-fired until three years ago. Some references place it in Norfolk, and it has a Peterborough postcode, just to confuse the issue still further. A regular lunch stop after the huge car boot on Saturdays.
Greyfriers Chip Shop - Stickney in Stickney - Restaurant reviews (restaurantguru.com)
Mermaid fisheries in Horncastle has a convenient memorial park just across the road for an alfresco lunch.
MERMAID FISHERIES, Horncastle - Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - Tripadvisor

DRM

Guru
Used to be known as a scallop in Lincoln; don't know whether it still is, as I haven't had one in decades!

While I'm here, a quick plug for two within walking distance of chez braconnier.
Oceans, my usual port of call: Oceans fish & chip shop in Nottingham (restaurantguru.com)
and Apollo, which is actually nearer. Might pop in there later today: APOLLO FISH BAR CARLTON, Nottingham - Restaurant Reviews & Phone Number - Tripadvisor

Two more in mid-Lincolnshire which are reliably good, Greyfriers in Stickney, which was coal-fired until three years ago. Some references place it in Norfolk, and it has a Peterborough postcode, just to confuse the issue still further. A regular lunch stop after the huge car boot on Saturdays.
Greyfriers Chip Shop - Stickney in Stickney - Restaurant reviews (restaurantguru.com)
Mermaid fisheries in Horncastle has a convenient memorial park just across the road for an alfresco lunch.
MERMAID FISHERIES, Horncastle - Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - Tripadvisor
A scallop here is a slice of battered potato

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As it is in Lancashire.
It wasn't until 1985,when i started work in a restaurant that i found out what real scallops are.

1612615950744.png

I never tried one as the restaurant owner/head chef was a bit of a tight wad and wouldn't do staff discount,so i wasn't paying the then £10 for two:ohmy: (i wouldn't pay it now either!),but i've sniffed them when they've gone off. Oh my,they stink like feck!!xx(

Edit...the shells made good ash trays though!;) I've been in some seaside cafes as a child and seen the shells used as ash trays :rolleyes: when of course smoking in cafes etc was allowed in those days.

Last edited:
We bought some large scallop shells at Brixham in Devon.
SWMBO used them to serve a scrumptious seafood starter in the days when we used to entertain at home. They survived being on the oven on numerous occasions.

Now it's cheaper, quicker and simpler to go out for a meal together. (Or used to be, pre virus@)

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
No, no, no. What you're talking about is a fish fritter, it is indeed a small layer of fish between 2 thin layers of potato then battered and fried. They became popular when we had some fish docks still in 'Ull. They used the take the smaller fillets of fish home from the docks and this was a way of making a ,meal stretch further.
We also have a local delicacy called a pattie. This is potato mixed with some spices and deep fried. Some people think it's just another big chip but you haven't lived until you've had a pattie butty. Go more than 10 miles away and they look at you daft if you ask for a pattie though.

DRM

Guru
No, no, no. What you're talking about is a fish fritter, it is indeed a small layer of fish between 2 thin layers of potato then battered and fried. They became popular when we had some fish docks still in 'Ull. They used the take the smaller fillets of fish home from the docks and this was a way of making a ,meal stretch further.
We also have a local delicacy called a pattie. This is potato mixed with some spices and deep fried. Some people think it's just another big chip but you haven't lived until you've had a pattie butty. Go more than 10 miles away and they look at you daft if you ask for a pattie though.
That’s the one, didn’t some shops call a fish fritter a Yorkshire fish cake?

Top Bottom