Recommended chippies fish and chips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apologies if there is already a thread on this - would have thought that would have been but can't find.

And a quick question which prompted me to start the thread.

Reading one of Stuart Maconie's fine books I came across an enthusiastic recommendation for grandma pollards in/near Todmorden.

But a quick search seems to say that it is now permanently - ie not a temporary covid blight - closed.

Is it?

Perhaps @ColinJ can help?

On a more positive note and as a first contribution I can offer

The Fisherman, Settle, Yorkshire

https://goo.gl/maps/tn6syzcW6eWtR2XN9

A certain foreigner of my acquaintance declared them to be the best fish and chips in the world.

I thought them pretty damn fine.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Where my mum used to live in Ellesmere Port.
The Sea Breeze on Pooltown Road. Superb quality, cheap as.... chips, and a full Chinese menu too.

it might have been taken over since my mother died.

Am I alone in not particularly liking chips. My usual order is fish, mushy peas and steak pudding.

If you're ever in Hyde, Cheshire, go to Kong's on Market Street.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Fields in Esh Winning, Co. Durham.

They still use beef dripping and a coal fired range.
cripes - the coal fired range is keeping it trad.
Will check out if that way.
By the by, on ranges, I find it hard to believe that proper fish and chips can be produced without a range.
I well remember a young Italian visitor raving about fish and chips an Italian pal had recommended in a Covent Garden pub.
I found it hard to believe and that it was anything more than a tourist trap.
I will long remember on an evenings boozing going with an american pal to a pub in Smithfields, even then it had become somewhat trendy. We needed to eat - i went for fish and chips - it came vertically stacked - sod that. Ponces.

Apologies if there is already a thread on this - would have thought that would have been but can't find.

And a quick question which prompted me to start the thread.

Reading one of Stuart Maconie's fine books I came across an enthusiastic recommendation for grandma pollards in/near Todmorden.

A great writer!
And, a great broadcaster, I used to enjoy his Saturday afternoon show on R2
Then, of course, the teaming up with Mr Radcliffe:okay:

There used to be one in Outwood (on the main A61, between Wakefield & Leeds) called 'Annies'

If I recall correctly, there were 3 others within easy walking distance, but Annies was the only one that used to have a queue before she opened
And, all she initially cooked, when I used to go, was Fish, chips, fishcakes, peas

If you wanted anything else, it was tough luck, or you went elsewhere

Sadly, she retired, & the shop was taken over, the fish was still good, but not the same
I reckon it's 10 years since I've been in

However, a couple of weeks ago, a patient looked familiar - even allowing for the mask
Upon asking, it was the lady who worked with Annie

She was surprised, but pleased that someone remembered, & with pleasure, her product

OP
OP
Blue Hills
If I recall correctly, there were 3 others within easy walking distance, but Annies was the only one that used to have a queue before she opened
And, all she initially cooked, when I used to go, was Fish, chips, fishcakes, peas
Certain southern ponces I know/folk who have watched too many of those progs would describe those as her "signature dish" - a phrase I choke on - someone in a pub recently asked me what MY signature dish was.:eek:

Top Bottom