Recommended chippies fish and chips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Best Fish'n'Chips, The Magpie Cafe in Whitby
Reviews

Worst Fish'n'Chips, The Old Keswickian in Keswick
Reviews
I know the Magpie has a hell of a reputation.
Have you been/is the reputation deserved?
Is it pricey, having entered the gourmet listings?
Last time I was in Whitby there was a hell of a queue outside and I confess I couldn't be bothered.

Dave7

Legendary Member
There is one in Warrington that does lovely, tasty, crispy fish. On Sundays, for some reason, its 2 for 1.
We went this week.....yep, fish was great. Sadly chips were big lumps of anemic potato........how do they ruin chips?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Not the worst fish and chips I have had, but all the hype about Aldborough fish and chips in Suffolk is way over the top. The chips are under done, and the fish although cooked is quite small, no matter if it is Cod or Haddock. There is always a queue though, with the hipsters who travel there.

My local chippy is very very good, Fresh Fry, next to the cinema in Barnet. https://www.freshfrybarnet.co.uk/

Olivers fish shop in Whetstone has a good reputation also. https://www.oliversfishandchips.com/

OP
OP
Blue Hills
There is one in Warrington that does lovely, tasty, crispy fish. On Sundays, for some reason, its 2 for 1.
We went this week.....yep, fish was great. Sadly chips were big lumps of anemic potato........how do they ruin chips?
Properly cooking chips is a vastly under-rated art/science.
I was going to ask you to dredge up the name of the place but if they can't do chips forget it
(I would make an exception if their signature dish of fish had a place right next door whose signature dish was chips)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Taylors in Woodley, Stockport is very good. Matts Plaice in Bredbury is excellent.

Also Shore Road chip shop in Gronant North Wales. One large chips easily feeds four adults, probably too many TBH. I believe the battered black pudding is excellent.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Here

Even better than the chippy at Anstruther.

stephec

Legendary Member
The Wetherby Whaler in Wetherby always used to be good, it's a few years since I've been though.

Stephens on the main street in Monmouth was always worth a visit when I was down that way.

In Selby there's Mr C's which isn't cheap, but very good.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Not the worst fish and chips I have had, but all the hype about Aldborough fish and chips in Suffolk is way over the top. The chips are under done, and the fish although cooked is quite small, no matter if it is Cod or Haddock. There is always a queue though, with the hipsters who travel there.

My local chippy is very very good, Fresh Fry, next to the cinema in Barnet. https://www.freshfrybarnet.co.uk/

Olivers fish shop in Whetstone has a good reputation also. https://www.oliversfishandchips.com/
Do you mean Aldburgh?
On a cycle camping tour I went to one on a corner which did takeways.
They were OK/not bad.
The pub on the other corner of street allowed you to eat your takeaway chips in their beeryard if you bought beer (it's decent beer) which I thought jolly civilised. And handy with a bike as the yard has open access. So I'd have to give that place a big plus on balance.
Many thanks for the other recommendations - noted.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Properly cooking chips is a vastly under-rated art/science.
I was going to ask you to dredge up the name of the place but if they can't do chips forget it
(I would make an exception if their signature dish of fish had a place right next door whose signature dish was chips)
Will do anyway.
Its called the Cabin and its on the Cantilever.
I will go again but ask him to refry the chips so they are hot, fresh and brown.

Top Bottom