Recommended chippies fish and chips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
I don't like Chinese chippys. They seem more interested in serving Chinese meals - do they all just come in a bag and only need heating? - and the fish and chips side always seems of secondary importance.
my local chinese chippy in the NW is so good for fish and chips I never understand folks going for the chinese.
It does have a proper range I stress - not just reheating at all.
Whenever I'm in though, orders seem to be pretty evenly split between chinese and fishnchips. I do remember in my distant NW childhood folks being a bit dubious about chinese folks tackling fishnchips.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
have never understood the curry sauce thing, maybe it is a relatively recent thing?
I like curry, I like fish and chips (obvs) but together?
What's the Cleveleley's chippy like for the core signature fish and chips, which is all I'm really interested in?
I was in Cleveleys quite recently on the bike, revisited a side street where as a kid I well remember burning my flesh on Cortina leatherette seats eating crisp butties.
Yes the fish and chips are good.Kayes I think it's called.Just next to the bus station,near seafront if that makes sense.
I like a chip shop curry with chips,or fish and chips.
One of my treats as a kid was a codfather special.Which consisted of a chip barmcake,spicy curry sauce with coleslaw...we were sophisticated in Blacklool 😁

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Yes the fish and chips are good.Kayes I think it's called.Just next to the bus station,near seafront if that makes sense.
I like a chip shop curry with chips,or fish and chips.
One of my treats as a kid was a codfather special.Which consisted of a chip barmcake,spicy curry sauce with coleslaw...we were sophisticated in Blacklool 😁
coleslaw, yes very sophisticated.
I think I had to leave home to experience such dizzy cosmopolitan things.
Will check out kayes, didn't know Cleveleys was big enough to have a bus station.
(which continues the definite northern bias of this thread I think)

Slightly off topic but what was that club called at Cleveleys? On the front. IIRC there was some bald headed Irish DJ type person. They had a cage hanging from the ceiling with dancing girls in it. I'm talking mid to late 60s, when I was in my prime.

Edit..was it The Queens?

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Slightly off topic but what was that club called at Cleveleys? On the front. IIRC there was some bald headed Irish DJ type person. They had a cage hanging from the ceiling with dancing girls in it. I'm talking mid to late 60s, when I was in my prime.
Only place I can think of on Cleveleys seafront is the Venue ? As for cages with girls in ? Are you sure it was a pub you were at 🤔

No. I said club not pub. A dance floor. Guys hanging round the outside looking at the talent. Lots of stonking music. The great days of Tamla Mowtown.

Adam4868

Guru
No. I said club not pub. A dance floor. Guys hanging round the outside looking at the talent. Lots of stonking music. The great days of Tamla Mowtown.
Only club I know would be the Venue on the seafront.
The Victoria is still there,but it's heydays are well behind it.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
cripes - dancing girls in cages hanging from the ceiling?
you are going to get this thread locked/disappeared.
My memories of cleveleys are of a tiddly innocent funfair far from the adrenalin thrills of blackpool pleasurebeach.
No hint of female bondage in my more recent trip.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Just had the nicest bit of fish I've tasted for ages from one of the local pubs that's making a decent fist of doing takeaways during the lockdown.

Top Bottom