Recommended chippies fish and chips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll never forget the fish and chips we all bought on bonfire night 1989,when i worked in an old folks home. I had mushy peas with mine. When i opened the wrapper i counted about 11 peas!:ohmy: I went back to the shop to complain and to see mushy peas were 15p a portion. I told the owner that it worked out at more than 1p per pea. He got stroppy and came out with a barrel glass pint pot,filled it up to the brim with mushy peas,them slammed it on the counter saying "That enough for you"?! 'Yes thank you' i replied and left feeling rather smug.😇
I think it was an urban myth generated by a naughty northern journalist and helped along by Neil Kinnock but recall the story of Peter Mandelson being in a Hartlepool chippy and asking for some of the Guacamole.
I was in a chippy in Middlesbrough and they had a bain Marie filled with pureed mushy peas. Asked the lady behind the counter why. "So they stay put in the bun pet". Looked like soylent green to me.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My favourite chippy, round here, is the "Batter of Bosworth" in Market Bosworth. They gluten free on Friday and Saturdays. "Nick's" in Ashby de la Zouch is also good.
A bad chippy usually smells of stale oil/fat even if they have a queue up the street.
On holiday in North Norfolk a few years ago came across a gem in Cromer. Big queue up the street.
The Magpie is top though. If you go as a couple they often come down the queue asking how many you are. 2 often get in before big groups.

Tony's Chippy on Piercy St off Old Mill Street Ancoats. Or what the fancy pants Northern Quarter people call New Islington.
Nice owner with a generous spirit and very good food. I walked in there one lunchtime and dipped in my pocket to find no money. Not enough shrapnel in my car either, he said next time you're passing you can pay up. That's customer service for you.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The gullible will believe anything they want?
a truth about the Mandle and his ilk.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
:eek: I spent a couple of hours in there but not drinking beer. About 39 years ago, they did bring fish and chips for tea though. Civilised under the circumstances of being a criminal about to be charged for possession of 0.4 g of resin.
The fish and chips were not the best mind you.
Place and time of arrest? Just before the Honister pass at Gatesgarth 3pm.
Was a roadblock with following R80 motorcycle from where we set off at the foot of High Style.
Total crime haul for police 7 grams assorted between the 4 of us.
It was actually a stakeout of my friends car, we saw the motorcycle parked further up the road toward Crummock Water as we descended High Style.
Total personnel at scene of arrest, 9 with 4 vehicles.
Why my friends parked Sunbeam attracted the attention of the police none involved is the wiser. We walked to Ennerdale and camped there and on the coast for a night then walked back, 3 days in all.
£50 +£15 costs, good job my employer never found out.

Now that it is “under new management” might be worth a visit, for old times sake. 😎

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Now that it is “under new management” might be worth a visit, for old times sake. 😎
At the risk of a divert I have also revisited a copshop turned into a spoons - New Malden - now a very nice pub with often excellent beer - my previous visit was to present my driving documents after one of my dodgy driving exploits.
On topic - spoons do do a regular fish and chips night - decent value and not a terrible effort but essentially an imitation - no way you are going to hit the heavens without using a proper range.

At the risk of a divert I have also revisited a copshop turned into a spoons - New Malden - now a very nice pub with often excellent beer - my previous visit was to present my driving documents after one of my dodgy driving exploits.
On topic - spoons do do a regular fish and chips night - decent value and not a terrible effort but essentially an imitation - no way you are going to hit the heavens without using a proper range.
I think it was me that went way off topic though I did mention fish and chips!
I always went for the breakfast in spoons, the maximum size one.

Nibor

Bewildered
Not a destination location but Woodnooks by Haddocks on Nuttal Street in Accrington Has beef dripping chips and make their own pies and their gravy is an obvious by product of their pie making process. Very generous helpings too.

Top Bottom