Recommmend a fibre broadband ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yet another vote for Virgin Media. Cable, no phone line.

4073023616.png

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yet another vote for Virgin Media. Cable, no phone line.

4073023616.png
Cable votes dont count as they stopped installing about 6 miles away .

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I've had Plusnet for 18 months. In that time there's been 2 failures in service. Both times, it's taken them over 1 hour to answer the phone. I've decided to switch back to BT, partly due to cost as they're cheaper than Plusnet for the type of service I want, and also because BT can provide a fixed IP address which Plusnet can't. I had to hold on the phone for nearly an hour to get a MAC number from Plusnet. In the past when I've been on BT, I've never had to hold more than 15 minutes to speak to a human.

I am with plusnet and yes they take a while to answer the phone ( typically half an hour ) but it is a free phone number and once they do answer the phone they sort out the problem and I get to speak to someone in the UK who I can understand instead of an Indian call center who just pass you around like a bag of rubbish which is what BT do.

I am not sure why you cant get a Static IP as I have just had a look at my Plusnet control panel and and Static IP address costs a one off charge of £5 and can be ordered from your online account page under Add-Ons it is the first item on the page.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've had Plusnet for 18 months. In that time there's been 2 failures in service. Both times, it's taken them over 1 hour to answer the phone. I've decided to switch back to BT, partly due to cost as they're cheaper than Plusnet for the type of service I want, and also because BT can provide a fixed IP address which Plusnet can't.
Plusnet did suffer 2 outages last year, where they actually lost over 50% of their network, as you can imagine the level of calls at that time was unprecedented, as to a static IP it's always been an option in the time I've been with them, which must be coming up to about 20 now.

brand

BT get a lot of complaints about poor service to customers even business customers. Even expecting people to pay when they have had no phone/Internet for 6 weeks.
I cannot speak for everywhere but unless the internet provider has equipment in your exchange you won't get a decent speed (relatively) than if they have. When checking prices I am generally only offered plusnet or obviously BT. A lot simply say no or a totally ridiculous price and a snail speed. A neighbour can now get orange so I assume I can but on the occasion I asked the price was ludicrous. He does have a package everything included. This maybe something to do with rural not sure.

brand

We are on a standard Broadband and calls package with TalkTalk. Trust me, their customer service and technical help lines are spectacularly bad.
One day, when trying to log in to my email account, it asked me for my password. It doesn't usually do that. I gave it and it was rejected several times so I picked up the phone to attempt to contact their technical help people. Forty minutes later, after the usual rubbish, I was attempting to understand a faint voice at the other end of a Bangalore drainpipe. It turned out that there was no problem with my password at all. Their geeks were tinkering with the software and had loused up.

Avoid TalkTalk.

(and breathe)
Talk talk harassed my mother who has dementia to take out their TV option told them to leave her alone but wouldn't. When she went into a home told them to switch of internet and phone paid the fee for cancelling early but still took out the DD. Still trying to get the money back. Like talking to a monkey, if its not on their answer sheet your knackeredf.

brand

Back to talk talk when I was cancelling because the house was empty and my mother was in a home, the stupid bitch kept offering to reduce the price of the call package. I gave up as she was sending me mad. Hung up and rung back the second one started doing the same but eventually grasped that a phone and internet is not good value for money no matter how much you reduce the price, if the house is empty.

brand

Just as matter of interest can you use the internet when you have no electricity. Obviously no WiFi but plug directly into the socket?

D

Deleted member 26715

Just as matter of interest can you use the internet when you have no electricity. Obviously no WiFi but plug directly into the socket?
You should be able to use a hard wired phone, but no Internet

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
That's odd. I replaced the horrible BT HomeHub at the old flat with a dual-band Netgear router and it was really good. Now we're on VM we're using VM's dual-band Super Hub (or whatever it's called) and it's good too. Turns out it's made by Netgear too.

We're in a terraced street, so there's a fair few access points in range. Maybe the Brightbox is better at finding a clear signal, or it has a more powerful WiFi signal. All I know is I used to have to manually tune the WiFi channel, or use a wired connection if I needed to download something big. These days I don't need to bother.

andyfraser

Über Member
We're in a terraced street, so there's a fair few access points in range. Maybe the Brightbox is better at finding a clear signal, or it has a more powerful WiFi signal. All I know is I used to have to manually tune the WiFi channel, or use a wired connection if I needed to download something big. These days I don't need to bother.
We're in an end terrace so it's probably not as bad for us. There are still quite a few access points in range though.

Top Bottom