Recommmend a fibre broadband ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am currently with sky on normal broadband and my phone but the last 2 weeks the phone line has been dead and the internet running at 56 k modem speed.
After numerous calls via mobile (payg) and them making promises i am still without connection as is my next door neighbour.
I cant get fibre optic and i have done a check and i will get about 15-17 mb on fibre , around 4.5 mb on normal broadband .
I can get sky fibre for £20 a month , 6 months free but i am threatening cancelling my connection due to the hassle so i am after opinions please .

I would just say try to avoid anything to do with Openreach as much as you can.
Also I have a small business deal for my connection and they do give a better service and promise better response with business users.

I use Zen and they win lots of Which? awards for their service. However this is down the normal phone line. They seem ok.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'm with TalkTalk via tiscali that was. Seems OK (broadband speed >6Mb/s) but I'm having issues with email delivery from at least one correspondent. Sometimes he gets a "can't deliver" sort of message at his end and other times the mail is delayed by 7 hrs or more. It's mostly the one chap at the moment but I have had similar problems with others before now. I keep intending to have a moan at TalkTalk but so far haven't got around to it.

Edit:- Should have said I have Fibre to the cabinet on the street corner and copper from there to the house

Last edited:

pplpilot

Guru
Ive had virgin for as long as i can remember, i can count on one hand the times it has stopped or slowed up, it is consistently good.

13 rider

Guru
Cyberknight be aware your fibre connection comes down the same copper connection from the exchange to your house and the fibre broadband is added in the green box down the road. So if you have a fault on your line fibre will not solve this. All suppliers except virgin use openreachs fibre connections so all companies speed are the same the difference comes down to customer service and that you only find out when something goes wrong

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used to get 2 or 3 meg with sky bt as you need bt line.slow internet and sky was ok but often had probs in poor wheather.
I now get 30meg with virgin but im in peterborough which is a cable tv city and 150 meg will be here soon for those who want to pay..I have tv phone and internet package with multi room with v+ and tivo boxes.
£76 a mth with xl tv pakage ..

screenman

Legendary Member
13, I used to think that, but why did I get a huge increase in speed when I switched BT, do they slow the others down.

13 rider

Guru
13, I used to think that, but why did I get a huge increase in speed when I switched BT, do they slow the others down.
No they cannot slow others down Ofcom would fine then big time .can't explain why you got such a increase when changing suppliers .my explaination of how fibre broadband works is correct the broadband comes from an exchange on optic fibre were it meets your copper connection

Broadside

Guru
No they cannot slow others down Ofcom would fine then big time .can't explain why you got such a increase when changing suppliers .my explaination of how fibre broadband works is correct the broadband comes from an exchange on optic fibre were it meets your copper connection

I think you have over simplified this. In my last house we had fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) about 50yds down the street and then copper for the last bit in to the house. That service from BT was very good.

Virgin Media TV areas will run coax cable all the way in to your house and this too gives very high speeds. There is a huge variation on how streets in different areas are cabled, independent websites such as samknowsbroadband.com are very good to tell you what services your local exchange is geared up to provide from all the available operators.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Cyberknight be aware your fibre connection comes down the same copper connection from the exchange to your house and the fibre broadband is added in the green box down the road. So if you have a fault on your line fibre will not solve this. All suppliers except virgin use openreachs fibre connections so all companies speed are the same the difference comes down to customer service and that you only find out when something goes wrong
There was a feature on Watchdog last year about how Openreach are sometimes the stumbling block to internet access but they never deal with customers directly, leaving the ISPs themselves to take the flak.

Top Bottom