Recording a ride whilst following a course on a garmin 500 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Can you do it ?
Weather and sniffles permitting im planning on doing a sportive at the weekend and im not sure if you can record your ride whilst following a course .

Of course the saddle sore i picked up last weekend is not helping my legs get in the mood to ride .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes. Just bring up the course, choose course, press start. It will record it automatically.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been given an Edge 500 and intend to use it to follow courses but I am having a comms problem with it so that will have to wait. (The device is not being detected when its USB lead is plugged in.)

I wouldn't have thought that any cycle GPS would stop recording when following a course/route/track since that is what most of us want to do.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Can you flip between screens ?
Im not sure ?
I have never used it for a course so i have no idea , can ou only see the course or do you get speed/ distance etc as well?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yes you can flip between screens.

Sit in your garden, pick up a signal, pick a course and have a play. It's the best way to get used to the machine.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I have been given an Edge 500 and intend to use it to follow courses but I am having a comms problem with it so that will have to wait. (The device is not being detected when its USB lead is plugged in.)

I wouldn't have thought that any cycle GPS would stop recording when following a course/route/track since that is what most of us want to do.

Don't want to teach you how to suck eggs Colin, but try at least a couple of different cables. I've found with my Garmins that certain USB cables seem to charge fine but won't allow comms, others are fine.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't want to teach you how to suck eggs Colin, but try at least a couple of different cables. I've found with my Garmins that certain USB cables seem to charge fine but won't allow comms, others are fine.

This is a good call.
Also.. try a different USB port on your computer.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

This is a good call.
Also.. try a different USB port on your computer.
I have tried all 3 USB ports on my Win XP laptop and also tried it on my Win 10 desktop.

I took the device to a local phone shop and got them to plug it in to their PC using a lead of theirs, still no joy. That doesn't really prove anything though because I hadn't seen the same lead being used for data transfers on other devices. I gave up trying to get any sense from the lad in the shop because quite frankly he was too stoned to make much sense! :laugh:

I have been trying different suggestions made by fellow sufferers online such as pressing and holding the menu button down when inserting the USB cable. I managed to get the same sequence of events to happen every time - if I have the My Computer window open I can see the 500 appear as a drive for a very short time and Windows makes that USB device detected noise. I can see a popup window saying something about files on the device, then an auto-play window pops up. Then windows makes the device disconnected noise and it goes back to charging.

It is very odd. The lead doesn't have an intermittent fault because the above sequence happens every time no matter how I wiggle the connectors or flex the lead but maybe it is a bit borderline.

It's a bit ridiculous spending any more time messing about with this lead. I have just ordered a new one for 99p on eBay, including postage! I will leave the GPS alone until I get the new cable. I hope that works because I like the look of the 500 compared to my clunky old Etrex.

uclown2002

Guru
I have been trying different suggestions made by fellow sufferers online such as pressing and holding the menu button down when inserting the USB cable.

Holding down the lap/reset button for anywhere up to 30 secs forces mass storage mode for me.

Try cleaning the contacts inside the garmin port.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

If my Garmin thought it had an SD card in its non-existent card slot then I would say that it was terminally confused! :laugh:

The new lead is on its way. Fingers crossed ...
On the computer , you know what i meant.Something else thats viewed as external memory using the same irq can mean the garmin sometimes gets missed but i would check with the cable 1st

Top Bottom