Recovery Drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScottyB

There are lots of posts on here about the pros/cons of recovery shakes and what is the "best" cocktail to aid recovery.

But I wonder at what point do people require "recovery". If I was in a gentle 20 mile ride or a 5k run I probably wouldn't bother - but at which point should you concentrate on recovery?

I am sure technically there will be some effort based calculation but interested in what people think regarding distance?

Thanks!

uclown2002

Guru
:popcorn:

Hmmmm. Another one of those things 99% of cyclists shouldn't bother with. If you are a serious multi-stage athlete who exhausts him/herself in a session or stage but requires another performance like that the next day, then yes. The science of recovery drinks is changing fast as the author of the running bible, The Lore of Running, Professor Tim Noakes, has torn the recovery drink and carbo loading pages from his book and admitted that the science was wrong.

The general idea is to protect and replenish protein destroyed in the session and a protein mix directly after exercise is the generally-accepted recovery drink.

Most riders have nothing to recover from. Have a beer.

OP
OP
ScottyB

ScottyB

All for the beer option and have been sceptical about this for a long time.

However after a long ride I could ache all over and barely walk the next day, or having a recovery drink leaves me in far better shape in my experience.

vickster

Legendary Member
All for the beer option and have been sceptical about this for a long time.

However after a long ride I could ache all over and barely walk the next day, or having a recovery drink leaves me in far better shape in my experience.
Thus, you have your answer already. It makes you feel better so...?

Citius

For most amateur-level riders, a decent post-ride meal (assuming a balanced diet) is all that is really needed. Multi-day stage racers might need additional carbs & protein and recovery products, but the amount of training that most amateurs do should be easily covered by continuing to eat regular meals based on whatever it is you already eat.

screenman

Legendary Member
This again....

Yep!

I talked about the weather yesterday, likely I will do the same today at some point. New people or somebody who may have missed a topic have the right to post up what they want to talk about, even if it has been on before. Well that is my opinion.

OP
OP
ScottyB

ScottyB

If you read the OP I wasn't asking should I drink a protein shake or not - merely seeing what those who do have them tend to think as their threshold before "bothering" with recovery, be it a shake, a glass of wine or a roast dinner.

The replies that have been given have turned this into a "This again...." sort of thread and I could (and have) read most of these opinions elsewhere on this forum. If you actually search for the answer to my question you will not find it on the message boards hence the decision to post a new thread.

For the first time I have to say most of the replies have been unhelpful - who would have thought a milkshake would cause so much drama.

screenman

Legendary Member
My post was meant to add a little humour along with my opinion, which is on the amount of exercise I do each day which is mainly aerobic I do not feel I need them.

My apologies for going wrong.

Top Bottom