Recumbent Chain Slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

QFour

Regular
Just bought a Low Racer for a bit of fun in my retirement and the chain seems to be jumping on the back 9 speed cassette. It has 18 speeds so this is with the small chainwheel on the front and the first couple of rings on the back cassette. Not managed to get it into high gear yet bad enough just trying to keep it upright. It needs fixing as its just left we lying in the road when it slipped.

With it in a stand and winding the pedals by hand the rear derailleur jumps forward when the chain slips.

Does it need the chain shortening as derailleur in its home position seems very loose.

Pretty basic stuff I know but never had anything with a chain this long so would appreciate a few tips ..

Regards QFour

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just bought a Low Racer for a bit of fun in my retirement and the chain seems to be jumping on the back 9 speed cassette. It has 18 speeds so this is with the small chainwheel on the front and the first couple of rings on the back cassette. Not managed to get it into high gear yet bad enough just trying to keep it upright. It needs fixing as its just left we lying in the road when it slipped.

With it in a stand and winding the pedals by hand the rear derailleur jumps forward when the chain slips.

Does it need the chain shortening as derailleur in its home position seems very loose.

Pretty basic stuff I know but never had anything with a chain this long so would appreciate a few tips ..

Regards QFour
Worn Cassette/Chain combo, hard to tell which but the only sure cure is bite the bullet and replace the lot. I'd expect to pay around £60 but then you can guarantee a couple of thousand miles trouble free minimum.

I ride a recumbent trike.
There's no real difference between a recumbent drive and a normal bikes drive bar it's chain length.
So anything going wrong will be the same.

Due the chain length, it's normal to cross chain a recumbent, so big/big and small/small are both useful gears.
Recumbent tends to have a bigger range than bikes so it's fairly normal for the chain to be virtually slack running small-small.

It sound like a worn chain and cassette but check that it's not half changing gear or nothing is bent out of line.
Put it big/big, does it run quiet or is it noisy or does the chain still jump ??
Work down the sprockets in the big ring and see what happens.
Then do the same small/big and again see what happens.
If it only jumps small/small-ish then it's probably is a worn chain etc.
But if it jumps big/big-ish there may be an underlying problem.

Luck ............ :biggrin:

OP
OP
QFour

QFour

Regular
Thanks for the replies. Spent the afternoon with it on its stand adjusting the gears. Still not perfect but better than it was. May have to invest in some new parts. The chain looks newish but the rear derailleur will not adjust and stay there. I can get it working and changing without problems but then it starts jumping again when you keep shifting it backwards and forwards. May just need removing and a good clean but the small toothed wheels look a bit worn.

chriscross1966

Über Member
In order of effort/expense to fit, bad cabling will cause that issue, fairly cheap unless you go for Jagwire Elite Link, pretty easy to do. manky Dirt in the derailleur, very cheap to fix, but I can't remember ever enjoying the process of taking a derailleur to pieces adn cleaning it.... the effect can be near magical.... swapping out the chain and cassette is less cheap, but at least isn't as much of an issue as swapping out a freewheel....

Tim Hall

In order of effort/expense to fit, bad cabling will cause that issue, fairly cheap unless you go for Jagwire Elite Link, pretty easy to do. manky Dirt in the derailleur, very cheap to fix, but I can't remember ever enjoying the process of taking a derailleur to pieces adn cleaning it.... the effect can be near magical.... swapping out the chain and cassette is less cheap, but at least isn't as much of an issue as swapping out a freewheel....
But the OP had a cassette, not freewheel, so if that needs replacing it's a somewhat easier process.

OP
OP
QFour

QFour

Regular
Thanks guys for all your input. A good clean, oil and adjust of the rear shifter has worked wonders. Also getting used to bar end shifters. Cleaned the chain and checked the cassette. I think the chain was actually going between the cogs on the back cassette sometimes which is why it jumped.

Getting better at staying upright and working on getting away cleanly without wobbling around to much. Also realised that you don't put your hand down if you are going to fall off :blush:. Trying to relax helps as well. So far I have managed to fall off 4 times so just a bit of bent pride so far. Its far easier without the chain jumping.

Work in progress .. Hate to think what they are like in snow :wacko: :laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks guys for all your input. A good clean, oil and adjust of the rear shifter has worked wonders. Also getting used to bar end shifters. Cleaned the chain and checked the cassette. I think the chain was actually going between the cogs on the back cassette sometimes which is why it jumped.

Getting better at staying upright and working on getting away cleanly without wobbling around to much. Also realised that you don't put your hand down if you are going to fall off :blush:. Trying to relax helps as well. So far I have managed to fall off 4 times so just a bit of bent pride so far. Its far easier without the chain jumping.

Work in progress .. Hate to think what they are like in snow :wacko: :laugh:
That's when you need one of these

sprintx_front3qtr_low-560x240.jpg

Top Bottom