Recumbent pedal reflectors question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Please scroll to the red paragraph.
Lighting Regulation
Abbreviated to RVLR: the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (amended in 1994, 1996, 2001, 2005, again in 2005 and 2009) require pedal cycles to have various lights and reflectors fitted, clean and working properly, when being ridden on a public road between sunset and sunrise. Cyclists may also be required to light up in conditions of seriously reduced visibility during the day, but only if they have functional lights already fitted. Lights are not required when the cycle is stationary or being pushed along the roadside.
It has to be said that the fine details of RVLR are seldom enforced; and provided you show some kind of white light in front and red behind you are unlikely to be challenged. If you are involved in a night-time accident however, any slight illegality with respect to your lights or reflectors may be regarded as contributory negligence. The following items are the minimum required, on a bicycle or tricycle, in order to ride it legally at night:
Front Lamp

One is required, showing a white light, positioned centrally or offside, up to 1500mm from the ground, aligned towards and visible from the front. If capable of emitting a steady light it must be marked as conforming to BS6102/3 or an equivalent EC standard. If capable of emitting only a flashing light, it must emit at least 4 candela.
Rear Lamp

One is required, to show a red light, positioned centrally or offside, between 350mm and 1500mm from the ground, at or near the rear, aligned towards and visible from behind. If capable of emitting a steady light it must be marked as conforming to BS3648, or BS6102/3, or an equivalent EC standard. If capable of emitting only a flashing light, it must emit at least 4 candela.
Rear Reflector

One is required, coloured red, marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned centrally or offside, between 250mm and 900mm from the ground, at or near the rear, aligned towards and visible from behind.
Pedal Reflectors

Four are required, coloured amber and marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal.

Exceptions and explanations

Age brings privileges. To name but two: cycles manufactured before October 1990 can have any kind of white front lamp that is visible from a reasonable distance, and pre-October 1985 cycles don’t need pedal reflectors.
Cycle trailers need a rear lamp as above and a triangular rear reflector with an ECE mark III or IIIA. (Trailer manufacturers appear blissfully unaware of this however, and generally fit cycle-type reflectors whilst making no provision for a rear lamp.) In the absence of any more specific requirement, a cycle-type rear reflector can be presumed okay on a sidecar, which also needs its own front and rear lamps.

My question is, how can pedal reflectors on a recumbent be "positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal."? There are no exceptions included for recumbents. I know that the police would have to be pretty pedantic to pull us over this....but then some are.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hardly any one uses pedal reflectors with clipless pedals and no one has ever been nicked for not having them. It's absolutely nothing to worry about.

byegad

Legendary Member
Only needed at night. I've yet to meet anyone pulled over let alone 'done' for lack of reflectors. The law on this is behind the times and Chris Juden of the CTC has mentioned on their forum IIRC that he as put forward suggestions re not using pedal reflectors at all and replacing with an additional flashing light front and rear. No response was obtained on that one!

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I remember this going through Parliament. Dispute some PMs stating that making peddle reflectors compulsory would be silly they still pressed ahead with it. I doubt that very few of those who pushed this through had actually cycled at night. There heard lots of pompous ill considered noise by MPs who either didn't understand the issue or wanted to appeal to their core voters.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Reflectors facing forwards can be done (if you're really desperate) by adding reflective tape to the undertoe of your shoes. In terms of rear facing reflectors, there's no way any light from a vehicle behind will reach them, let alone be reflected back.

The only relfector pedals I see are platform style. Pedalling a 'bent without clipping in would be far more dangerous than failing to observe the reflector rule.

starhawk

I'm glad we haven't this rule in Sweden. I haven't seen reflectors on pedals for ages. We do however have a rule on side reflectors which should be White or Yellow. It was quite common with those reflectors you place on the spokes but they can come loose with possibly fatal results if it is in the front wheel. But nowadays it is quite common with side reflector stripes on the tires which is much safer

compo

Veteran
OT as not relating to recumbant but:

Some of the police bikes our local PCSO's ride around on have no pedal reflectors.

Top Bottom