recumbent trike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
did it come fitted with the binox system or did you fit it yourself ?

Came with it fitted

The problem with recumbents is that there are so many parts that are custom made, longer cables etc that it worked out far cheaper than buying all the bits. Also in this case the battery and fittings were also adapted to enable the fold with the battery in place

The wife had already stolen my Gekko, so she knew which trike we wanted, a single trike was not possible as she has a shortened boom and I need the full length one.

We had researched the Bionx, and considered that he Bionx's method of control from sensing the pedal forces was ideal, as it means we can tailor the input from the motor from 4 stages of regenerative (like riding with the brakes on) through 25, 50, 100, and 200% power subsidy

We also spoke to the UK importer who seemed fairly clued up so repairs and replacements were possible.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

Came with it fitted

The problem with recumbents is that there are so many parts that are custom made, longer cables etc that it worked out far cheaper than buying all the bits. Also in this case the battery and fittings were also adapted to enable the fold with the battery in place

The wife had already stolen my Gekko, so she knew which trike we wanted, a single trike was not possible as she has a shortened boom and I need the full length one.

We had researched the Bionx, and considered that he Bionx's method of control from sensing the pedal forces was ideal, as it means we can tailor the input from the motor from 4 stages of regenerative (like riding with the brakes on) through 25, 50, 100, and 200% power subsidy

We also spoke to the UK importer who seemed fairly clued up so repairs and replacements were possible.

thats one thing iv been worried about with e-bike kits is the wires will they be long enough to go that extra distance to the pedal assist sensor especially. im not worried about making them longer thats a simple job to extend the wires its more of how a kit designed to fit a standard upright bike can be adapted to fit a recumbent trike frame.
iv been looking at a system called fun8 they have a motor that fits infront of the bottom bracket and replaces the bottom bracket with its own built onto the motor so it would cut down on long cable runs, but im still undecided as i do like the look of the rear wheels with the hub motors i think it looks better than the motor stuck out front ahhhhh to many options lol

The Fun9 8 is THE electric motor.

Made by a company called Bafang they account in various forms for a large majority of motors in the UK

I have one on the Christiania you can see in the background of the photos.

It has happily propelled a heavy cargo trike, with heavy rider and a 70kg mobility scooter plus shopping!

The only problem sometimes is the gearing range as some use screw on freewheels limiting the range when compared to the cassette options.

For info on electric bikes and motors try A to B magazine or Peter Eland's Electric Bike Magazine

raleighnut

Legendary Member
thats one thing iv been worried about with e-bike kits is the wires will they be long enough to go that extra distance to the pedal assist sensor especially. im not worried about making them longer thats a simple job to extend the wires its more of how a kit designed to fit a standard upright bike can be adapted to fit a recumbent trike frame.
iv been looking at a system called fun8 they have a motor that fits infront of the bottom bracket and replaces the bottom bracket with its own built onto the motor so it would cut down on long cable runs, but im still undecided as i do like the look of the rear wheels with the hub motors i think it looks better than the motor stuck out front ahhhhh to many options lol
Not all kits use pedal rev sensors, mine doesn't.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

Hey Stuee, did you get around to the finishing paint job or building an electric power assist?

Unfortunately no on both counts iv not had chsnce to do much the base paintwork is done on mk2 iv jusr got some detail I want to do ehen I can. Im deffenatly going with an e bike conversion im just working out what and how I want it I will get some pics of mk2 now psinted and rebuilt as soon as I can

Not all kits use pedal rev sensors, mine doesn't.

But do you not need the sensors to have pedal assist ?
All im looking for is a pedal assist im not worried if I dont have a throttle

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Unfortunately no on both counts iv not had chsnce to do much the base paintwork is done on mk2 iv jusr got some detail I want to do ehen I can. Im deffenatly going with an e bike conversion im just working out what and how I want it I will get some pics of mk2 now psinted and rebuilt as soon as I can

But do you not need the sensors to have pedal assist ?
All im looking for is a pedal assist im not worried if I dont have a throttle
Pedal assist can be plugged in, the wiring is in place for it and a handlebar fitted assistance level selector, it also has 2 brake levers with power cut outs but again these can be plugged in or left off (I'm using one on the trike for safety but the other one is standard to the trike with a parking brake lock button)
The kit I have is a front wheel kit but they also do a rear wheel kit that accepts up to a 7 speed gear cluster, Importer/brand is Cyclotricity.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

Pedal assist can be plugged in, the wiring is in place for it and a handlebar fitted assistance level selector, it also has 2 brake levers with power cut outs but again these can be plugged in or left off (I'm using one on the trike for safety but the other one is standard to the trike with a parking brake lock button)
The kit I have is a front wheel kit but they also do a rear wheel kit that accepts up to a 7 speed gear cluster, Importer/brand is Cyclotricity.

The brakes are something that's been worrying me a bit iv seen on the kits iv been looking at have the power cut off brake leavers yet I have the leaver with the handbrake. Button on one side and a duel leaver on the other but like you say for safety I really would like the cut off switch iv been thinking of useing a small micro switch and mountain it onto my leavers to give me the power cutoff

classic33

Leg End Member
This is no good you know!
You've come almost to a standstill, when compared to how long it took to actually build it.
Working out what colour(s) to paint it.

irw

Quadricyclist
The brakes are something that's been worrying me a bit iv seen on the kits iv been looking at have the power cut off brake leavers yet I have the leaver with the handbrake. Button on one side and a duel leaver on the other but like you say for safety I really would like the cut off switch iv been thinking of useing a small micro switch and mountain it onto my leavers to give me the power cutoff

Have a look at micro reed switches- they may be a little more discreet!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I believe in-line brake cable switches are available, but not sure where from. As the kit may not stay on the trike and the MTB it was originally destined for has one-piece brifters on (Acera 7spd) It depends if I can figure out a coupling mod for the trailer so that will fasten to the trike, if so the kit might as well stop on the trike.

Top Bottom