recumbent trike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

MkII: 31.5Kg(All in weight)
MkI: 27Kg
close but no cigar lol you are about right for MK2 but MK1 was only 20kg ded on ^_^

Most shop bought trikes seem to be 18 / 19 kg so your mk1 is very good. I'd say lighter wheels and components would get you down to similar weight. But compare the cost of your homebuilt to the shop bikes and those extra kg's look very cheap. Mk2 is so individual that its not really appropriate to compare weights.
Both your bikes are looking very good.
i think with MK1 if i had the front wheels i wanted (with the 14mm axles) i wouldnt of needed the extra steal frame around the wheel that would of saved a couple of LBs and if i had of done a single back support like the ones iv seen on atomic zombie i could of been down nearer the 18 to 19kg mark. and your right about MK2 it is so original with the extras iv fitted i dont think i could ever find anything to compare it with lol
but your right a shop brought trike all seem to be around £1500 to £2000 mark where as after a few working out MK1 as it stands today cost around £200 and MK2 as it stands cost around £350 obviously thats just the cost of parts and materials and iv not included the bits iv brought then found something better and changed it if i add all that together i would of been better off buying a bike shop with ready made ones inside lol but then where would the fun be in that lol

iv been out and got some handle bar tape today it works well with the new seat covering
IMG_20140723_130438.jpg

IMG_20140723_130355.jpg

and i took a pic of how MK2 is looking now in all its glory (and still needing paint :rolleyes:)
IMG_20140723_130343.jpg

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

thought i would do a quick update. iv not done much new stuff iv been playing with updating parts iv got a new set of gear shifters, a new sealed bottom bracket and new front triple, also a new freewheel (yes i know i only got a new megarange one a couple of weeks ago but i got a cheap one then to try and i loved it so iv upgraded to a better quality one) i also have new front and rear derailleur which should be here monday,
iv also been playing about with paint again, no iv not painted MK2 yet but soon i now have all the paint i need and some tough clear lacquer to give a better finish. iv also got some new paint for MK1 as im changing the colour to purple (my girlfriends choice as she rides MK1 ) iv also got some new material for MK1s seat and its a dark purple to go with the purple of the frame (when i paint it lol)
heres a pic of a bit of metal i was trying the paints out on
IMG_20140802_173751.jpg

MK1 will be the purple and black and MK2 will be red and black
and no my painting isnt all lumpy it was raining when i took the pics lol

stuee

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

latest update iv got all my new chainset fitted and for the most part its all working well. i am having issues with the front triple and derailleur i can shift quite nicely up the gears but coming down seems a bit slow especially from 3rd to 2nd, it takes a good couple of rotations of the pedals before it finally shifts down, as soon as i push the button to go down it makes the noise but just don't seem to want to go down iv tried playing with the H/L screws but if i get it shifting down nice and quick i then cant get into 3rd. its not to much of an issue just a bit annoying.
anyway some pics of MK2
IMG_20140804_164456.jpg
IMG_20140804_164531.jpg

and here is how iv attached the solar panel (until i get my new panels that will fix to the pannier lids )
IMG_20140804_165206.jpg

iv also upgraded the gears on MK1 and got some new mirrors for MK1
IMG_20140804_165237.jpg

i loved the chrome mirrors i got for MK2 so just had to get the matt black version for MK1 lol

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

well iv been getting annoyed with myself for not getting the paint done on MK2 its all primed so suffice rust was not an issue it just didn't look right, having said that i did have one bloke that was talking to me say he liked the paint color. i didn't have the heart to tell him it was just primer lol
anyway i was getting annoyed as when i had the time to get the paint done it was raining so i couldn't do it and when the weather was good i either had appointments to goto or even more frustrating i was ill and couldn't do it :cursing::cursing:
so the other day i thought thats it iv had enough and i put up an old family tent that i dont use anymore and iv stuck both MK1 and MK2 inside rigged up a few solar LED lights and bingo i can now paint so i spent a day stripping MK2 then iv spent the last day and half doing coat after coat of paint and then clear topcoat. so far the base coat is done and iv almost finished the top coats then tomorrow im hoping to start the reassembly and do the detail paint work. heres a couple of pics.
14%2B-%2B1.jpg
IMG_20140809_163102.jpg
IMG_20140812_110937.jpg
IMG_20140812_110957.jpg
14%2B-%2B14.jpg

it also works well when i go outside for a smoke in the rain (we dont smoke in the house ) all i need now is a nice heater and a radio and ill live out there lol

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

Paint fumes'd get you!
Not had any problems with fumes the tent hasnt got a ground sheet and I've set it so there is a 6 to 8" gap for airflow along the bottom and I have the windows at either end open and there quite high so it vents like a chimney and I leave the door open all the time. It could make for an interesting paint design if Igot to much fumes lol

Last edited by a moderator:

fixedfixer

Veteran
Is that the tractor paint or are you using a different spray paint on the mk2?

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

Is that the tractor paint or are you using a different spray paint on the mk2?
Im trying out some spray paint on MK2 its the same red just in a spray. But to be honest I'm not that impressed with the spray its the same red but it just doesn't have the depth of color the normal paint has its sort of flat even after several coats of lacquer I'm thinking of rubbing it all down and doing the red again by hand this time it takes more time and a lot more work but at the end of the day its a lot harder wearing and I think a better finish that the spray. But Thats something for the future. At the moment I'm rebuilding MK2 as I have to get it back to my house as my girlfriend is moving so I won't have the big garden to work in anymore. But Thats not going to stop me doing bits and bobs lol

Last edited by a moderator:

fixedfixer

Veteran
I found using a quality brush and enamel gloss worked well. The spray seems to fan out and more than 50% misses the tubes. (ok for large flat areas). That flat effect is often due to lack of pressure which the can delivers the spray paint. Give a sort of cloudy finish rather than full gloss. Just my limited skill / experiece mind.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

fixedfixepost: 3231620 said:
I found using a quality brush and enamel gloss worked well. The spray seems to fan out and more than 50% misses the tubes. (ok for large flat areas). That flat effect is often due to lack of pressure which the can delivers the spray paint. Give a sort of cloudy finish rather than full gloss. Just my limited skill / experiece mind.
Yea that sort of what iv been finding the finish is a gloss finish with the spray but its just not as glossy or as deep a finish as with paint and like you say a quality brush, i also find that the small 4" gloss rollers you can get are great to use. i like to use a brush to apply the paint but then i finish it off with the roller and that makes sure i dont get any brush marks left.
and your right about wasting a lot with the spray its definitely not designed for use on frames.

Slightly OT, but I fitted the "Stand up aids" on the wife's Gekko

86e131b3-8ac7-466f-abf9-ef2ed8aabc81_zps70d1bf02.jpg

P8170266_zpsb57e737b.jpg

Makes a massive difference to the ease of mounting and dismounting

.. and if you are brave enough to steer without brakes, it now has direct (Aids) AND indirect steering (handlebars)

fixedfixer

Veteran
On the right handhandle bar is what looks like a mini bar end with something mounted on it. Do you mind my asking what that is? Opposite side looks like a computer mount. I do like the blue paintwork on that trike.

On the right handhandle bar is what looks like a mini bar end with something mounted on it. Do you mind my asking what that is? Opposite side looks like a computer mount. I do like the blue paintwork on that trike.

HP velotechnik use a pair of bar ends as "mirror mounts", but they get in the way, so the mirrors were moved to the top of the handlebars

On the left side is a bell, and on the right is the mount of the Bionx control,

This:

30117_console13009563554d8b04c319ba1.jpg

Top Bottom