recumbent trike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

is the chain not rubbing on itself?!
Cheers Ed

no i will take a few more pics when i remember the lower section of chain that runs threw the derailier cogs is set about 15mm off to the side of the top section of chain running under the skateboard wheel its hard to see from the pic but there is loads of clearance

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

her you go @young Ed this pic gives you a better view of the chain

IMAG0944.jpg

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

well its official i hate indexing gears :wacko::evil: iv spent the best part of 3 days trying to get the gears to work but the best i could do was get every gear (with some difficulty and chain jumping ) apart from 1st gear (largest on the rear) and yes i was using the indexing gear leavers and derailers and cogs from the same bike they worked fine on the bike but now they just wont play ball. so this afternoon i got feed up with it and took it all apart and started again this time iv used different gearing from an old bike i had this time with good old fashion friction leavers so i can now tweek the gears how i want and guess what it went together 1st time and worked lovely.
the only other thing iv managed to do is i had to make a new track rod for the steering as the chain had started to rub a little in the lower gears but i think that is sorted now i may adjust the guide pulley to give myself a bit of extra clearance.
so now its just the final sorting and adjusting the brakes then its strip down and paint before the final rebuild.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Just a thought - is the old derailleur chain guide too close to the rear (active) derailleur, thus not giving the chain enough slack sideways movement to move across the rear derailleur ? Is the 'guide derailleur' too fixed and not allowing the chain to move side-to-side ?

It's looking very good, though - and I'm in Edinburgh when you're ready for a ride .... ^_^

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

Just a thought - is the old derailleur chain guide too close to the rear (active) derailleur, thus not giving the chain enough slack sideways movement to move across the rear derailleur ? Is the 'guide derailleur' too fixed and not allowing the chain to move side-to-side ?

It's looking very good, though - and I'm in Edinburgh when you're ready for a ride .... ^_^

i did think of if it was the chain guide was stopping it but from what i can see looking down the chain it shouldn't be an issue and the distance its set infrount of the wheel is a good 2 to 3 feet in front of the rear derailleur and its set roughly in-line with the centre gear on the rear cog so should give plenty of movement either direction. having said that i am thinking of moving the chain guide forward on the frame (further away from the rear derailleur ) mainly to give me a little more clearance between the track rod and the lower section of chain so i will see if it makes any difference to how the gears work. to be honest i think its more me with indexing gears i have never managed to get them to work in the past its always been a visit to the local bike shop, where as old style friction gears i can normally set up within a few minuets. i think im just jinxed lol

and give me a bit of time to get back into rideing and i might well take you up on the ride as i dont come from round here im not to sure of any good routs lol

fixedfixer

Veteran
I rather like 'old school' gears. You get to know where to move the lever to get a smooth change. Also nowt to go wrong.

fixedfixer

Veteran
To index. put chain on little ring at back. make sure lever is in highest gear i.e. 7. now click lever to 6 whilst turning crank. If chain doesn't shift to 6 smoothly turn index knob anti clock wise until it does go into 6 (keep turning crank whilst you do that). Once chain in 6 click lever to 7 and try again. this time it should work. if not tweek again. once it works between 7 and 6 it will work in all the other gears. I assume you have set the limit screws?

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

To index. put chain on little ring at back. make sure lever is in highest gear i.e. 7. now click lever to 6 whilst turning crank. If chain doesn't shift to 6 smoothly turn index knob anti clock wise until it does go into 6 (keep turning crank whilst you do that). Once chain in 6 click lever to 7 and try again. this time it should work. if not tweek again. once it works between 7 and 6 it will work in all the other gears. I assume you have set the limit screws?

yea iv tried setting and resetting the limit screws its strange i can get it to change smooth between 2 or 3 gears normally top or bottom ones but then as i get to the other end it seems to not fully shift and the chain jumps. im sure its something im doing wrong like i say i can set up the old style friction shifters without to much trouble and just the way you described, i just cant seem to do it with the indexing gear leavers.
but the gears are now working fine with the old style leavers so ill probably stick with them just give them a clean up.
hopefully i can get the brakes done tomorrow then give it a good test run and if all is well i should get the paint done this week but dont hold your breath lol

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

So we're good for a ride at the week-end ? :giggle:

Whereabouts are you in Midlothian ?

lol i wish i could get it done and on the road quick i really miss my bike rides i used to ride all the time but the last few years iv not been able to ride but thats all going to change with my trike ^_^
and im mayfield way just south of Dalkieth

fixedfixer

Veteran
Have you checked that the drop out where the rear mech bolts onto bike is correctly in line? Looking from the rear of the bike the two jockey wheels should line up with the teeth on the rear cogs. That might be the cause of the problem as you say everything worked on another bike. Anyway, you've got the bike running. Good man. Enjoy.

starhawk

When I changed from twist-grip shifters to bar-end shifters I fully expected to have to be using the friction setting. The only 8 speed bar-end shifter I found was Shimanos Ultegra and the rear derailleur is a SRAM X9 and according to all "wise men" they shouldn't work together in indexed mode. But stubborn as I am I set the shifter to indexed mode and set off for a testride. To my amazement it worked wonderful, there was one or two gears that rattled a little but they are at the end of the range and seldom used so it doesn't really matter. And I really didn't set up the gear, I just tightened the wire and screwed the clamping screws tigh

Top Bottom