recumbent trike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
looking good
sorry if i haven't been reading enough and if it has already been said but is frame powder coated?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

With your many skills, can we expect to see a fairing on this beast? Wish I could weld. And also that I had a welding machine thingy.

lol funny you should say that :blush: i have been thinking of something along the lines of this
trike_canopy.jpg
KMX_trike_with_veltop1.jpg

i like the idea that it can be used with just the top for a sunshade or top and sides when its wet. i have a large selection of carbon fibre and fiberglass tent poles that im thinking of using for a lightweight easy to pack away frame.
i also love the idea of solid panniers on the back like in the first pic iv built and designed the bike more as a long distance touring bike. hence the reason the back wheel is set a bit further back than i needed it was so my weight or COG (im learning the lingo lol) is slightly further forward so a little more weight is on the front thats so i dont overload the rear wheel wheel when the panniers are on and full and im also planing to make a trailer so iv considered that weight to in my designs.

looking good
sorry if i haven't been reading enough and if it has already been said but is frame powder coated?
Cheers Ed

no worries @young Ed no its not powder coated the paint i used is a farm paint designed for tractors and farm machinery. its quite expensive about £15 for 500ml but its worth it. you can spray it on if you have spray equipment or like i did i just used a brush and one of them little 4" gloss rollers you would use for doors or that. the paint goes on really well and you dont need primer but i did use it anyway. and its recoverable in 2 hrs and dry in 24hrs and its very hard wearing. i used to use it on my landrovers offroading so i can say for sure its hard wearing lol

and @fixedfixer you deserve a cigar thanks to your link i read last night i think i have worked out my wobble problem (the trike's wobble not mine personally lol)
i was reading bits and looking round and i was reading a bit about wheel flop so this morning i removed the tie rod and sat on the trike and tested each front wheel individually and low and behold wheel flop. now i know that in its self shouldn't cause such bad wobble but here is my thinking. and please correct me if im wrong at low speeds its fine the wheel flop is easy controlled and its no problem to hold a straight line. but then as speed increases the slight buckle and waviness of the front wheel rims starts to shake the steering out of the straight line position and this causes the wheel flop to kick in thus increasing a slight buckle wobble into what i have. the more i think about it the more it sounds right lol anyway anyone with any other ideas im always happy to hear them

fixedfixer

Veteran
No cigar required, just glad to help a fellow bike builder and share ideas. Got a feeling the strong wheels you have ordered will go a long way to solving the problem. (hopefully)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My concern with the yellow shade in the top one of your cover photos is the strength of the whole things and its apparent lack of aerodynamics. :unsure:

When you are riding along, touring, doodling, commuting or whatever - you will, at some point, come to a decline, a not-going-upwards- hill ... this is why you have really built your trike. :wahhey: You start to pedal, change up through the gears, reach you top gear, your grin is spread so wide, the wind is making your cheeks do that flappy-wobbly thing much loved of people going fast ... and what happens to your 'roof' ? :eek: Will you remain on the ground, or does it provide aerodynamic lift - with potentially "interesting" consequences ? :ohmy:

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

My concern with the yellow shade in the top one of your cover photos is the strength of the whole things and its apparent lack of aerodynamics. :unsure:

When you are riding along, touring, doodling, commuting or whatever - you will, at some point, come to a decline, a not-going-upwards- hill ... this is why you have really built your trike. :wahhey: You start to pedal, change up through the gears, reach you top gear, your grin is spread so wide, the wind is making your cheeks do that flappy-wobbly thing much loved of people going fast ... and what happens to your 'roof' ? :eek: Will you remain on the ground, or does it provide aerodynamic lift - with potentially "interesting" consequences ? :ohmy:
yea i know what you mean i think the one in the photo has a steal frame looks like about 10mm steal bar not quite what i want its more the concept of having something lightweight that can be put on and off with ease and minimal tools and thats versatile for different situations.
this is a good design but i think it could be warm in the summer
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZW7WdDQwogxIWdLFz5qd09Zi_7qrA3qt-ufoYX_uIY1n1BU9bKg.jpg

or this looks more like the type of thing i want
Expedition%2520-%2520Canopy%2520072.jpg

young Ed

Veteran
just noticed the front hubs
how have you done these? are they special axles? assuming these are normal biycycle wheels?
Cheers Ed

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
yea i know what you mean i think the one in the photo has a steal frame looks like about 10mm steal bar not quite what i want its more the concept of having something lightweight that can be put on and off with ease and minimal tools and thats versatile for different situations.
this is a good design but i think it could be warm in the summer
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZW7WdDQwogxIWdLFz5qd09Zi_7qrA3qt-ufoYX_uIY1n1BU9bKg.jpg

or this looks more like the type of thing i want
Expedition%2520-%2520Canopy%2520072.jpg

Erm, I was thinking of something along the lines of.......

Hood2_zpsf12f4100.jpg

Scoosh

Velocouchiste

Hood2_zpsf12f4100.jpg

:wub: :wub: :hyper:

£££££ = :cry:

fixedfixer

Veteran
That needs to be painted matt black - it would look proper stealth!

Oh, ans this thread is going really well but we have someway to go to match 'the recovery' :laugh:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
first he needs to make moulds and then do them all out of fibre glass and when he is happy with that carbon! :biggrin: (sorry but i am addicted to the carbon!)
Cheers Ed

Moulds? Fibre Glass? I'm going to have a bash with Correx. Just ordered a few sample sheets to see how easy it is to shape. Then I'm thinking of doing a Carbon wrap. It worked well on my ZX12R seat cowl.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Moulds? Fibre Glass? I'm going to have a bash with Correx. Just ordered a few sample sheets to see how easy it is to shape. Then I'm thinking of doing a Carbon wrap. It worked well on my ZX12R seat cowl.
Looks like you we'll need a new thread for following that ! :thumbsup: ^_^

"This thread is will be useless without pictures !" :wahhey:

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

just noticed the front hubs
how have you done these? are they special axles? assuming these are normal biycycle wheels?
Cheers Ed

yes in a way they are normal bike wheels but off of a bike trailer not a bike its self and had these quick release bits on the trailer frame so i just cut them off and welded to the headtubes so i can realise the wheels without any tools, but the new wheels i have on order are bmx wheels with a 14mm axel that im going to alter so they work with the trike. ill make sure i take some pics when i do it ^_^

Hood2_zpsf12f4100.jpg

i have to confess i have been looking and thinking about that but like @Scoosh says lots of funds that unfortunately i cant afford on disability but maybe one day ill find a cheaper way mmmmmm maybe hot glue sticks from the pound shop melted together :wacko: lol

well here are a couple of pics i took this evening iv been riding it round and round the garden i cant wait to get it on the open road lol
IMAG1047.jpg
IMAG1048.jpg
kG-AMqDW2WyPdt-7okybIL28VovJSDVQjMbQfqJt1FI=w924-h553-no.jpg
IMAG1045.jpg
Rvf2XPdUlGv_aCQtpP40cJGfPOKB2iS_aTepb9zwCfo=w924-h553-no.jpg

the last 3 pics ar how i have fitted the rack on the back it seems to be ok iv sat on it and it didnt give way so it more than strong enough for anything i could put in the panniers lol.
the bottom bracket i have made for the rack is bolted threw the box section with the nut inside the box. im making cover plates that will just screw on to the ends of the box section and im considering using reflectors as the end caps. the reason im wanting to have removable end caps is first i can bolt things like the rack on and the bolts are hidden but also so every now and then i can remove the caps and give it a squirt of duck oil so no condensation in the tube can rust it from the inside. out

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

For all of this... look at my earlier post about Recumbents.com
and a very good link i dont know how @Cunobelin and @fixedfixer do it but they find some great links they have helped me no end as has all the people on here that have given me ideas and advice i thank you all for the advice, ideas and guidance so far and for all the help im bound to need in the future :bravo::bravo::bravo:

stuee

Top Bottom