recumbent trike speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markg0vbr

Über Member
add ice into the mix or wet roads and you can drift :blink: on nice bold tyres, but you need to carry a bag of sand to throw under the back on the up hills or you end up doing the cave man drag.:rolleyes:

Arch

Married to Night Train
My top speed so far is 40mph. On the right road, I'd let it go faster - it would have to be smooth, wide, only gentle bends, if at all, long sightline and runout at the bottom.

The hill I did 40 on, I think that's the limit, as it's a bit narrow with gravel down the middle and a couple of bends.

From what I remember of the climb up to the Hole of Horcum on the Whitby night ride, I'd like to do that the other way, in the light.

OP
OP
lee morris

lee morris

www.mosbikeshed.co.uk cycle hire
thats it im obsest with hitting max speed theres a nicelong hill smooth no bendsand good run off, about 2 hours ride away ,my mission this morning to hit it hard , problem is i need to ride up it frist lol, ill post recorded speed later lol or when i return from hospital haha

Arch

Married to Night Train
thats it im obsest with hitting max speed theres a nicelong hill smooth no bendsand good run off, about 2 hours ride away ,my mission this morning to hit it hard , problem is i need to ride up it frist lol, ill post recorded speed later lol or when i return from hospital haha

My best was on a hill down to Burnby. To get there, I had to go up Nunburnholme Hill, which is a right sod. I wanted to do it to check I'd actually make it up, as it was part of a sportive I was going to do. So I crawled up, and then found this route back down, so I went round and DID IT ALL AGAIN! It was on the second descent that I hit 40.

I also went deaf - one minute, I was listening to music, the next I wasn't. My earphones flew out of my ears due to the wind, and flapped about behind my head. I didn't take a hand off the bars to sort them out....

Arch

Married to Night Train
On our first recumbent trip to France, we crawled up a mile or more long hill out of a town on one day. Long, just the right sort of gradient, shallow bends.

On the second trip, 2 years later, Al had arranged the route so that we would come back down that road, on the homeward leg. We dreamed of it all trip. On the day itself, we we salivating. :tongue:

Bloody French had put speed humps on it! :cry:

Arch

Married to Night Train
40 again yesterday, on a cracking hill down into Pocklington. I reckon with a bit of help at the top, I might get more... (Yesterday, I just freewheeled. Although my highest gear isn't high, so I'd be spinning out soon, but might get just a touch more momentum going.)

My eyes watered a bit.

think you are a andralin junky lol , cant believe the speed you got up to !!
40 again yesterday, on a cracking hill down into Pocklington. I reckon with a bit of help at the top, I might get more... (Yesterday, I just freewheeled. Although my highest gear isn't high, so I'd be spinning out soon, but might get just a touch more momentum going.)

My eyes watered a bit.

Hedgehoguk

Regular
I have done 60 mph in a 30 zone. I did wonder why cars where not going past me anymore a glance at the computer answered the question as I passed a speed trap.

The nice police man could not believe his eyes and did not get off his seat fast enough.

Arch

Married to Night Train
40 mph is easy.
I can top it all the time on a local 9% hill, if I have no head wind.

What did you do down Blue Bank again?

It's a testament to a trike's stability that I'm thinking I could improve on 40. I chicken out on two wheels at about 27.

Oh for the perfect road. Long, long, long, straight downhill, perfect sightline, not too steep, but steep enough, smooth surface, no side roads or gateways, with a long run off up a gentle gradient.

sunnyjim

What did you do down Blue Bank again?

It's a testament to a trike's stability that I'm thinking I could improve on 40. I chicken out on two wheels at about 27.

Oh for the perfect road. Long, long, long, straight downhill, perfect sightline, not too steep, but steep enough, smooth surface, no side roads or gateways, with a long run off up a gentle gradient.

...And a cable car to take you & the trike back to the top, a few nice little bars & resaurants halfway down the slope.. Downhill trike-ing holidays could catch on

byegad

Legendary Member
I had the Kettwiesel up to 41mph on one of the Bike Right Runs over the weekend. Sadly another, slower, rider was on the line I needed for the next corner so I had to brake. Had it been clear I think I'd have seen 45mph.
As the trike hasn't a speedo and the reading was from my Sat Nav, only used when I'm on unfamiliar roads, it will be a long time before I get another opportunity to 'clock' a high speed.
I'm pretty sure 50mph+ is possible on the right road.

Top Bottom