recumbent trike speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lee morris

www.mosbikeshed.co.uk cycle hire
Hello all just wonderd whats everyones max speed they feel comfee doing befor they get twitchie lol

i have a windcheetah speedy and hit 32mph befor i get scared lol i want to get faster

3tyretrackterry

Have reached 38mph on a steep hill was a tad scary the sudden appearance of the arse end of a horse put the anchors on that land speed record attempt :biggrin:

byegad

Legendary Member
Given clear sight lines and a reasonably smooth road. I've yet to feel worried by any speed I can reach, the maximum I've seen on a speedo is 48mph but as only one trike has a speedo I may have exceeded this.

Max I've hit was at night on an unlit road.
49.6 mph down Blue Bank on the run into Whitby.

The fastest in the day time was only 48.6 mph on the run down into Ullapool from the south.

The fastest speeds around home are only around 40 mph but the local hills are only short and around 8-10%, so its hard to hit true terminal velocity.

I've also hit ~25 mph on a hardcore/gravel surface which was "fun", as the back of the trike was stepping out of line on the bumps/stones.

I can normally top 30 mph down hill in a 30 zone in town ............. :whistle:
And I still get overtaken at these speeps.

One day I'll get a good smooth hill with the wind in the right direction and top 50 mph ............. :thumbsup:

Luck ............. :biggrin:

markg0vbr

Über Member
The fastest speeds around home are only around 40 mph but the local hills are only short and around 8-10%, so its hard to hit true terminal velocity.

i like the term terminal velocity,:hyper: i do a back road a bit like a toboggan run only hit 35mph but my arss dose 5p 10p 5p drifting hard braking and out rigging (hanging out over the side to keep from tipping over) gets the pump going.:wahhey:
the hill i live at the bottom of i hit 45+ but it is straight so a bit boring.:tired:
the run from the top of ladybower dam is gravel and has some good bits, what i am saying fast down hill can be a buzz but medium speed on a very technical descent is better, then you get mamtor at castleton you can hit 50mph if you are good through the tight bends near the top.

Bill B-J

I have not come across speed ratings for cycle tyres, (used to see them for motorcycle tyres.)
Years ago made 60 mph Skipton way on DF. I geuss one could go faster on a bent.
The tyre question flashed through my mind at the time.
No doute the tyre being balance is highly relavant, and if it were not, one woukd obviously feel the vibration.
I'm much more confident on the QNT than the B1, the thought of harm does not pop up on the former, but does on the later!

I'm with you Mark; I don't really mind what number the GPS say, its the flow from the demanded total absorption, that I find uplifting :hyper:

Be well, bent brother :thumbsup: . (It was 'the Americans' who came up with that term was it not? Not complaining, maybe it fits with the needed ease at daring not to totally conform to Mr/ Ms average.):o)

Oh, and Mark, I found the addition of front suspension to the QNT luxurious on my broken body; maybe there is a therpeutic need?

Misty

Regularly hit high 30s / low 40s here - the hills range from 16% to 25%, but speed is horribly limited by poor camber, dodgy potholes and pretty steep curves.
But I get more pleasure pedalling through a tight turn at 30mph, than free wheeling down a straight hill at 40+. It's so much more satisfying leaning out through the turn, rather than sitting like a sack of potatoes, whatever the speed.

markg0vbr

Über Member
Oh, and Mark, I found the addition of front suspension to the QNT luxurious on my broken body; maybe there is a therpeutic need?

"We will be selling a retro fit kit for your trike.
Price will be £523.89 + VAT + postage."

a bit out of my range at the moment , i am trying to trade my bacchetta for a trike so my lad can come on my next trip with me, if that all goes well perhaps.

Fiona N

Veteran
I've been over 60mph on the Windcheetah a few times, mainly in the Alps, northern Switzerland and northern Italy - places where I used to live so I got to know the roads. It is very exciting and you need quite a lot of practise to be relaxed enough to keep your sweaty little hands off the joystick unless you actually need to steer - otherwise the transmission of tension results in the infamous death-wobble which is pretty close to the most frightening thing I have ever experienced

Sadly, around here the roads surfaces aren't good enough where there's a long, straightish drop for the trike to really get up some speed and I rarely break 50mph :sad:

It still amazes me how much safer at speed the Speedmachine used to feel with that enormous downforce pushing you into the tarmac.

Top Bottom