recumbent wheel sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

My vote is for 26 rear and 20 front. Reasons, 26 rear will give a bit more clearance for rear mech (not issue if you are going internal hub gears) 20 front willbe strong and keep front end low.
Plus if you use the rear frame of an mtb full sus as a doner it will have 26 / disc and be able to take low gears and standard panniers / rack.

i never thought about racks but yea i suppose a normal rack for a 26" wheel would look strange on a 20" wheel. would that mean you need special panniers for a 20" or are they all standard ??
with the suspension i was thinking the same thing get a MTB and use the back end, i looked into doing the same but with a 20" wheel and all the ones i can find are more kids bikes so the suspension would need to be upgraded and i didnt like the look of the frames dont think they would last long holding me and a set of panniers and a trailer, so i was thinking i would have to go the rout of making a whole new back end up rather than using the bikes.

iv just found the calculator and saved it ill have a play about with it see what i can work out. i do sort of understand gearing i know the physics and the maths behind it it just takes me ages to work out with lots of paper and pencils lol

wow thats brilliant i have never seen anything like that i love the way no derailleurs cable runs ect and not worrying about where the chain will run to as it never changes angels. im going to look into that its just so neat.

is there a way of working out what gearing ratio is best or is it more trial and error ??

sorry for all the questions, but if i dont ask ill never know ^_^

stuee
Two opinions!

Schlumpf do three drives:

High speed drive - 2.5 x increase

Speed drive - 1.65 x increase

Mountain drive - 2.5 x reduction

Then it is up to you.

Aesthetically or practically.

An HSD with a 34 t chainring will give exactly the same range as an MD with an 85 t chainring

The trick is to work out your riding so that the 1:1 ratio is used for the majority of the time.... or a small / large chainring suits the machine you are using

fixedfixer

Veteran
[QUOTE 3048449, member: 30090"]If you have the X-Seam then 700cc (ERTO 622).

A vast array of wheels and spares to choose from.[/QUOTE]

True. But I think on a trike 26/20 looks better and stuee is more likely to find a secondhand 26 for a doner bike to hack up. Just my take on it.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

True. But I think on a trike 26/20 looks better and stuee is more likely to find a secondhand 26 for a doner bike to hack up. Just my take on it.

i must admit i think the 26/20s do look good but the 20s all round look quite good to iv seen a couple of 26 all round and they just dont look right at leats i dont think they do lol

classic33

Leg End Member
The Gekko has a Shlumpf HSD, an internal gear that fits at the bottom bracket

Interestingly on a 406 trike!

The Hurricane has a "manual shift" where I simply push the chain tube to reroute the chain and change

Few derailleurs will cope with these extremes,

MY Hurricane chainring was from the now defunct Highpath Engineering

Highpaths Engineering site is showing as active. Last updated only last month.

Highpaths Engineering site is showing as active. Last updated only last month.

Sorry - I didn't make myself clear. They no longer work full time or make chain rings

It's with the greatest regret that Chris has been forced into semi-retirement and he asks customers to allow him more time to fulfill their orders. He's stopped making EGGring chainrings but still produces small batches of his Pulse pedalling aids and continues to provide his popular crank-shortening and crank-repair service.

brand

Speaking from experience. I found it impossible with rim brakes to get them to grip evenly. If you don't and you slam the brakes on you will roll.
I am not sure but did someone suggest hub gears? Seems excellent idea to me. You could always change the set up for a tour.
I found that mine(cannot remember the name) was to low in foggy weather as I couldn't see the finger posts, they tend to be in the hedge anyway so even harder when you are low down. Once cycled 32 miles home from the pub, it wss only 12 miles away.
Also didn't take into account that the water in the ford would be considerably higher in the winter. All worth considering.
I may buy another but it will have to be higher up, lighter, disc brakes and hub gears sound great choosing Alfine 11 or Rohloff would be the problem. Oh and where to store it.

Top Bottom