Recycle whilst we ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Inspired by @User9609 beach cleaning thread , i have started today to collect 1 piece of recyclable rubbish every time i ride

IMG_20180403_171547441.jpg

My first haul which was placed in our green bin .

Any others going to join me ?

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
I'd like to, and occasionally do, but I'd need a van as well near some of my haunts. It's shameful.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
One piece each every ride adds up to hell of lot more than someone else should do something.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Commendable, but if I stopped to pick up any rubbish I passed I doubt I'd ever more than a mile from home before I couldn't carry any more.

Today i picked up bits including the bag i used all from places where i stopped or slowed down , so no extra time

And yes if i stopped to pick up every bit i would need a mobile skip but if i can manage 4 pieces every week day then at least i have done my bit , whilst others ride past

Drago

Legendary Member
Me and Martin are urinating in the breeze here in Poshshire. Used to be the county council would collect large items of refuse for free. Now they charge £20 an item instead, and wonder why it gets dumped at the roadside instead. Martins efforts are laudable, but its annoying when the authorities who take so much money off us mismanage these services so badly.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Me and Martin are urinating in the breeze here in Poshshire. Used to be the county council would collect large items of refuse for free. Now they charge £20 an item instead, and wonder why it gets dumped at the roadside instead. Martins efforts are laudable, but its annoying when the authorities who take so much money off us mismanage these services so badly.

A 60% cut in funding since 2009 hasn't helped much either

KneesUp

Guru
I suspect it's not the council charging £20 per item, it's the private company that the council have been forced to use when they were made to outsource, which seems to have a net result of the same people coming round to do the same job but not as well, in newer vehicles and earning profit for a large multinationals.

But, you know, free market innit, so must be good.

Martin - I commend your idea and your efforts, and shall endevaour to do the same.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I just put all the crap that blows into our front garden in the bin/recycling, not to mention the empty drinks cans and McDonalds boxes that get stuck in the hedge (BTW the nearest Maccy D to us is about 3 miles away so it's got to be some fecker with a car or more likely a van)

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Jannie and I collect drinks cans from the hedgerows as we ride. We can take them to the supermarket and exchange them for money. Some days we dont even have to pay for cake. ^_^
Now that is a great way of recycling.

Out on the carbon fandango this morning

IMG_20180404_060555109.jpg

Still picked up a piece no pockets so stuffed it on the end of the bars
( please note other makes are available )

Thanks guys to those that all do a bit , yes i now its not our job but hey i get that answer at work as well , so lets all just pick up 1 piece and as @raleighnut says a lot of is blown there by the wind after being dropped

Last edited:
Top Bottom