Recycle whilst we ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
According to Garson, you could get high by smoking banana peels. The high was said to be psychedelic like LSD, but pleasant and calming like opium. ... The result of the study was that there were indeed certain psychoactive chemicals in banana peels, but not nearly enough to produce a high.
Yes,i posted a link a few month ago about this. I think it said you had to dry the skins out in the oven,but not over do them. I think i'll just stick to sniffing glue.:whistle:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Here's a pic from a recent litter pick on a one mile stretch of lane I regularly clear near here. All chucked out of passing cars. Within just a few days there's always at least another bin liner full to clear.

View attachment 402947

It included about a gallon of pi$s. Which was nice.

View attachment 402948

And a before and after one from Burwell Fen. It included several letters with an address and names which I passed on to the council.

View attachment 402949

View attachment 402950

I do it because I worry about the harm to wildlife and hope it's doing a little bit to help. It is rife and getting worse. I'd love to catch one of these pieces of scum in action!
img_0637-jpg.jpg

xx(xx(xx(

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's true, I've got a car and a van and find I'm far more likely to throw McDonalds wrappers and general detritus of all kinds out of the windows when I'm in the van.
No these boxes are pushed into the hedge mid-way up it, I've got an idea who it is and they drive a van.

However Scott (next door neighbour) has his own van and that's a proper builder/plumber's van, the cab resembles a skip on wheels.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Inspired by @User9609 beach cleaning thread , i have started today to collect 1 piece of recyclable rubbish every time i ride

View attachment 402881

My first haul which was placed in our green bin .

Any others going to join me ?

What a great idea, well done!

Also, refreshing to see that, in 3 pages of posts, so little "blame shifting". IMHO, the only person responsible for litter, is the person who discards it, presence of fast food outlets, lack of bins etc etc etc is no excuse.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
We all pay "pant" a deposit, on cans and glass and plastic bottles. There is a machine at all supermarkets that swallows the cans and bottles and gives you a reciept to spend in the shop. Its a simple idea.

That's the sort of thing they're proposing to bring in here.

gbb

Legendary Member
If you don't mind, I won't partake :okay:
I'e been picking litter in my area for maybe 30 years, every morning I walk the dog. Often a carrier bag full, occasionally two, every work day.
Boggered if I'm going to start doing it on rides as well :laugh:. But hats of to anyone who does, sincerely.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If you don't mind, I won't partake :okay:
I'e been picking litter in my area for maybe 30 years, every morning I walk the dog. Often a carrier bag full, occasionally two, every work day.
Boggered if I'm going to start doing it on rides as well :laugh:. But hats of to anyone who does, sincerely.
Same here. Though i always kind of feel embarrassed while i do it. I too draw the line at picking someone else's rubbish up while i'm out riding a bike. Though i do pick up worms that've strayed onto the pavement and throw them onto soil, while out walking. If there's been heavy rain i spend half my walk picking them up.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Same here. Though i always kind of feel embarrassed while i do it. I too draw the line at picking someone else's rubbish up while i'm out riding a bike. Though i do pick up worms that've strayed onto the pavement and throw them onto soil, while out walking. If there's been heavy rain i spend half my walk picking them up.

I always find the vibration of me coming along makes the worms scurry out of sight before i get there

gbb

Legendary Member
For some reason I do it furtively, like I'm slightly embarrassd by it. I suppose it does mark you out as 'different'. Most folk just don't seem to care. And yet a former neighbour stood on his doorstep as I walked past and picked up something...he remarked...
'Dunno why you're othering Col, it'll be the same tomorrow'.
I replied...
'I know...and I'll pick it up tomorrow as well, I refuse to live in a tip'

Katherine

Guru
An elderly lady lives in the first house on our road. Once a week, for years she would go along the grass verges at the end of the road where there aren't any houses or drives, picking up all the rubbish and putting it in her bin when she put it out for collection. Now she is in her 90's and I put out her bins. She set such a good example. We pick up the rubbish and bring it back and put it in our bin.

Top Bottom