Recycle whilst we ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Jannie and I collect drinks cans from the hedgerows as we ride. We can take them to the supermarket and exchange them for money. Some days we dont even have to pay for cake. ^_^

I'm hoping to make my fortune when the plastic bottle deposit scheme starts here! You live in a much more enlightened country - it's taking the UK so long to catch up!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I do this while hill walking. Will try on bike rides too.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
When out riding i tend to eat a banana. I usually throw the skin into a field or just drop it on the road as i know it'll break down and feed plant life or insects. This is classed as recycling isn't it? I think that binning banana skins and apple cores etc is a waste.

See that's the same as i was told as a kid , must admit we recycle as much fruit & veg peelings and cores into our compost bin

I think the next addition to @biggs682 bike packed shed is going to be a bike trailer, or a cargo bike, you could probably carry a couple of wheelie bins on one of those.

lol it would keep me employed full time just need to find somebody prepared to pay me now then

pawl

Legendary Member
Me and Martin are urinating in the breeze here in Poshshire. Used to be the county council would collect large items of refuse for free. Now they charge £20 an item instead, and wonder why it gets dumped at the roadside instead. Martins efforts are laudable, but its annoying when the authorities who take so much money off us mismanage these services so badly.

Couldn’t agre more.

classic33

Leg End Member
When out riding i tend to eat a banana. I usually throw the skin into a field or just drop it on the road as i know it'll break down and feed plant life or insects. This is classed as recycling isn't it? I think that binning banana skins and apple cores etc is a waste.
According to Garson, you could get high by smoking banana peels. The high was said to be psychedelic like LSD, but pleasant and calming like opium. ... The result of the study was that there were indeed certain psychoactive chemicals in banana peels, but not nearly enough to produce a high.

Sorry it doesn't work, not that i ever tried it. ;)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I'm hoping to make my fortune when the plastic bottle deposit scheme starts here! You live in a much more enlightened country - it's taking the UK so long to catch up!
We all pay "pant" a deposit, on cans and glass and plastic bottles. There is a machine at all supermarkets that swallows the cans and bottles and gives you a reciept to spend in the shop. Its a simple idea.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Here's a pic from a recent litter pick on a one mile stretch of lane I regularly clear near here. All chucked out of passing cars. Within just a few days there's always at least another bin liner full to clear.

IMG_0638.JPG

It included about a gallon of pi$s. Which was nice.

IMG_0637.JPG

And a before and after one from Burwell Fen. It included several letters with an address and names which I passed on to the council.

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

I do it because I worry about the harm to wildlife and hope it's doing a little bit to help. It is rife and getting worse. I'd love to catch one of these pieces of scum in action!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Here's a pic from a recent litter pick on a one mile stretch of lane I regularly clear near here. All chucked out of passing cars. Within just a few days there's always at least another bin liner full to clear.

View attachment 402947

It included about a gallon of pi$s. Which was nice.

View attachment 402948

And a before and after one from Burwell Fen. It included several letters with an address and names which I passed on to the council.

View attachment 402949

View attachment 402950

I do it because I worry about the harm to wildlife and hope it's doing a little bit to help. It is rife and getting worse. I'd love to catch one of these pieces of scum in action!

Well done @Glow worm , i see a lady out during the year picking litter up on the way into Great Doddington if i go along at the right time and she does it for similar reasons

snorri

Legendary Member
There is a machine at all supermarkets that swallows the cans and bottles and gives you a reciept to spend in the shop. Its a simple idea.
I was somewhat disappointed with this scheme.
IME the machine only accepts suitably bar coded empties, if it doesn't like the bar code, or the bar code label has become detached the bottle is rejected and you don't get a receipt to spend.
This is fine if you live nearby and are a regular customer at one particular shop, but if you are a touring cyclist then it is simply means that soft drinks are more expensive:sad:.
I would like to be told this is outdated info. and that machines will now accept all empties, bar coded or not:smile:.

Top Bottom