Recycling by cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm aware there are a number of places around the country that will allow you to recycle by pedal cycle. But for anyone involved in this, how did you manage to get started. Was there opposistion from your local council to you wanting to do it & if so how did you get round this.

Does anyone have a council that activly helps you to recycle? I ask because my local council are against the idea all together. Suggestions on how it may be worked round & if you worked round the rules/regulations, how you managed it appreciated.

pixiepie

I don't think I understand what you're talking about, to be honest.

Sandra6

Veteran
Do you mean travelling to a recycling point by cycle?
I'm not sure they could stop you.
We had a bit of hassle the first time we tried to drop stuff off at ours on foot, we were allowed in but told to get a permit next time. I've since lost the permit but have dropped stuff off (or rather have sent my son to do it!) without issue since.
There isn't anything in the "rules" about bicycles.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
My local council didn't allow anyone on foot or on a bike to enter the local recycling centre.

That's all changed now - they've closed the recycling centre to save money.

So fly-tipping has increased massively, probably costing more to clean up than keeping the recycling centre open. Brilliant thinking!

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't think I understand what you're talking about, to be honest.
Taking your recyclable materials to the recycling sites by pedal cycle. I'm aware that parts of York are able to, but never quite found out from the council why they permitted it & what rules are in place.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Taking your recyclable materials to the recycling sites by pedal cycle. I'm aware that parts of York are able to, but never quite found out from the council why they permitted it & what rules are in place.
The nearest to me council run recycle site has a big sign at the entrance "strictly no pedestrians". Doesn't mention bikes.
I am planning to visit soon with my bike trailer, will let you know what's their reaction.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I take stuff for recycling to the recycling skips at tescos but wouldnt really want to ride into the council place,theres allways broken glass nails etc on the road by the skips dropped by careless people.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I take stuff for recycling to the recycling skips at tescos but wouldnt really want to ride into the council place,theres allways broken glass nails etc on the road by the skips dropped by careless people.
Uh, never considered that :eek:

When I need to get bulky-ish stuff (generally WEEE or green waste that I can't get into the compost bin) to the recycling centre I have used my wife's trike, which they seemed to have no problem with at our recycling centre (Woking, Surrey.)

Top Bottom