1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recycling wheel chairs

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by JamesAC, 10 Mar 2008.

1. JamesAC

JamesAC Senior Member

I hope someone can help!

My ex-wife's mother died recently. She has been wheel-chair bound for a number of years. The family is now clearning up her house and so on, and wondered if there is a charity of some sort that would welcome a wheel chair, a special bed and other bits and pieces.

They've tried social services and Help the Aged with no success.

They have to get the stuff out by the w/e, otherwise the council will clear it out (and the council staff will flog it on ebay).

Any ideas?

Cheers

2. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

flog it on ebay yourself?

3. OP
    OP
    JamesAC

JamesAC Senior Member

That's an option, but my daughter and so on are constrained by having to have the stuff all cleared by the w/e.

Cheers

4. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

My father went through a similar ordeal when my nan died, he ended up dumping her stair lift and shopping mobile as he almost pulled his hair out trying to get rid of it.

5. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

make a go-kart?

6. Maz

Maz Guru

how about your local hospital?
    surely it's worth giving them a buzz.

7. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

I would suggest your local freecycle group.

http://www.freecycle.org/

I wonder how easy it would be to convert into a bike railer?

8. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Do you have a local Freecycle Network?
    http://www.freecycle.org/

Otherwise, maybe a local Charity shop? I know some can collect big items..

What a terrible waste, if it's hard to pass them on.

Otherwise, get the wheels off the wheelchair and make yourself a cargo trailer (assuming they are the big spoked sort.)

9. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

I was gonna say- leave it outside A&E and drive off. It'll get taken inside and re-used in no time.

10. Maz

Maz Guru

not a bad idea tbh!

11. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

Who supplied the wheel chair in the first place? If it was the local hospital or primary care trust they might well want it back.

Failing that you could try the Red Cross. In some parts of the country they keep stocks of wheel chairs to loan/hire, so you could try contacting them.

12. radger

radger Über Member

I've tried to find places to take wheelchairs in the past with no success.

Freecycle is a good option, or you could try a local hospice or community transport organisation

13. Maz

Maz Guru

stick a pair of cardboard wings on it and enter it in the red bull flugtag.:biggrin:

14. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Then write an anonymous letter to local paper about "mystery wheelchair donor" .. possibly it'll be on cctv, get played on local news, and you can have your 15 mins of fame! :biggrin:

15. Speicher

Speicher Vice Admiral Staff Member

The Red Cross may be able to use it. I looked at www.redcross.org.

The site is very clever and is just giving me details for my area.
    They have a "Community Equipment Services" section that gives me lots of places to give equipment but of-course you are in London.

It gives you the option to put in your post code to narrow down the area. I hope this helps. I hope that you are able to store the smaller items somewhere as it may take longer than a few days to sort this out.

I was in exactly the same situation some years ago. My relative died of old age at 94, not of some contagious disease, but still Social Services etc would not take back the equipment they had recently supplied.
    Would you like to try your local Red Cross shop?