Red Light Jumping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

[QUOTE 1526429"]
His point is that the reason the law is not enforced with every every jumper is not the reason you claim or would like it to be.
[/quote]

The police dont have the resources to enforce it rigidly so adopt a pragmatic sensible common sense approach based on discretion and tackling the worst cases of cyclist rljing dangerously without care and attention causing danger to pedestrians and motorists.
Is this ok ?
This is what i would like it to be.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The police dont have the resources to enforce it rigidly so adopt a pragmatic sensible common sense approach based on discretion and tackling the worst cases of cyclist rljing dangerously without care and attention causing danger to pedestrians and motorists.
Is this ok ?

That statement is a bit bold. The police are rarely around when someone drives or cycles through a red light. 9/10 of ten when they are they will pick up on it if they saw it clearly.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm fully aware that you didn't use the term STFU. If you trace the quotes back then you will see that I am pointing out you backing up the use of STFU in a 'debate' when it is quite clearly an insulting phrase.

I apologise for bring up you insulting his intelligence, I believe it was someone else that did that and I got mixed up.

Thank you for the apology. I stand by the fact that STFU is no worse than MTFU though.

twobiker

Is this ok ?
And in the meantime someone may die.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

That statement is a bit bold. The police are rarely around when someone drives or cycles through a red light. 9/10 of ten when they are they will pick up on it if they saw it clearly.
I am reluctant to disagree with you qaz but :
All of my personal experience and observation leads me to beleive otherwise.
Before i joined this forum when i didnt realise rljing was wrong i used to rlj quite openly in front of police and never had any resulting action taken even to advise me that rljing was wrong.
I nowadays observe lots of rljing and have never seen anyone stopped or any action taken.
I may be wrong or it may be different down your neck of the woods.
Some increased policing of irresponsible unsafe rljing would be a good thing.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I am reluctant to disagree with you qaz but :
All of my personal experience and observation leads me to beleive otherwise.
Before i joined this forum when i didnt realise rljing was wrong i used to rlj quite openly in front of police and never had any resulting action taken even to advise me that rljing was wrong.
I nowadays observe lots of rljing and have never seen anyone stopped or any action taken.
I may be wrong or it may be different down your neck of the woods.
Some increased policing of irresponsible unsafe rljing would be a good thing.

Have you thought that non-traffic police officers won't target law breakers on the road?
What is the percentage of traffic officers on the road compared to other officers?

Dan B

Disengaged member
And in the meantime someone may die.
I think most of us agreed about 20 pages ago that whatever the reasons not to RLJ may be, "because it's dangerous" really isn't a credible one. It's no wonder these threads go round and round in circles when people insist on posting their opinion without even reading anybody else's

gavintc

Guru
I think most of us agreed about 20 pages ago that whatever the reasons not to RLJ may be, "because it's dangerous" really isn't a credible one. It's no wonder these threads go round and round in circles when people insist on posting their opinion without even reading anybody else's

I have to agree. In my 18 months here in Naples, I do not think I have stopped at a red light on a bicycle more than once or twice. It is not dangerous and the traffic expect bikes and motorbikes to treat lights as give way junctions. The traffic flows, you know when to go and when to stop based on the traffic movements. Thankfully road rage is not a Naples issue as drivers accept and live and let live. They respect bikes and I have more space here than in UK. So, it is not a 'dangerous' thing, but a willingness to fit in with the car culture. If there were no cars, how many traffic lights would there be?

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

1526440 said:
Hang about, did you manage to participate in all 38 pages of Police fining cyclist for breaking the law.. without realising that the Police do take action on RLJing?

"Before i joined this forum"
Helps if you read the post before replying Adrian (prevent yourself looking so silly in future)

david k

Hi

i wouldnt agree to that, there are times when it may not be dangerous and there are times when it would be very very dangerous

Ian 74

[QUOTE 1526264"]
But by your comment you're suggesting that when you RLJ you're increasing the risk to other road users. If it's completely safe then there's no chance of you causing any damage to anyone, so the size of the vehicle is irrelevant.
[/quote]

Nothing in life is certain... No activity is completely safe 100% of the time... RLJing increase's risk to yourself and other road users/ pedestrians... Unless nobody is about, for all we Know a car could be speeding to the junction but because of the topography we would have no knowledge of this... Hmm Red light seems clear oh, mmm boy I'm in such a rush (thats the point of RLJing isn't it to maintain speed to arrive at ones destination quicker?)

I guess my point is never discount physics, certain fundamentals are more reliable than the human perception of completely safe.

For clarification I made my position on RLJing clear earlier in the thread.
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

Have you thought that non-traffic police officers won't target law breakers on the road?
What is the percentage of traffic officers on the road compared to other officers?

Tbh i havnt considered the ins and outs of enforcement that closely as it not my main focus of interest.
Whatever i have no problem with the way the police deal with rljing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 44 pages zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Can we have another sub forum like Helmet ones ? Room 101 stuff this :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom