Red rear reflector came off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So I never realised this till when j last checked my bike over. However now that I have a job and don’t finish till 7. It tends to be dusk around this time as evening seem to get dark a bit earlier since it’s getting closer to clock change. However yesterday I realised rear reflector must of fallen off last time I had a close call and fell off myself by pressing break too hard (was cycling across a zebra crossing and don’t think a taxi was going to stop so I pressed the front break too hard to the point I fell off luckily sideways and not over front)

However my red reflector isn’t on but the mounts still attached. Is it possible to detach the mount and get a replacement. Reflector and mount since this is a requirement by law when it’s dark isn’t it? (along with lights which I have). So will defiently need one as I’ll be cycling in the dark soon.

alicat

Legendary Member
Could you post some pics so we can see what is going on?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's the law that they must be fitted at point of sale as it is with a bell but if you decide to take them off that is up to you.

The law requires you to have a red reflector fitted on a bicycle used at night. It doesn’t need to be a separate item if it is incorporated as part of a light (which some have). I think there’s an exception for bikes first made before 1985 or thereabouts.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/lighting-regulations

Edited to add correction: The 1985 exemption is for pedal reflectors, not the red rear reflector.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The law requires you to have a red reflector fitted on a bicycle used at night. It doesn’t need to be a separate item if it is incorporated as part of a light (which some have). I think there’s an exception for bikes first made before 1985 or thereabouts.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/lighting-regulations

Edited to add correction: The 1985 exemption is for pedal reflectors, not the red rear reflector.
Whoops, some of my bikes may not be legal then. :ohmy:

I'm a rebel :becool:

tom73

Guru
Must be one too none of mine have one either

vickster

Legendary Member
If you’re wanting to get one, try your lbs. I’m sure they’ll have one to give you/sell for a few pennies

I’ve got a few spares. Have removed from all the bikes that actually had any. I don’t ride in the dark without a rear and front light (and usually with some sort of reflective clothing).

Don’t ride without decent lights in the dark. There’s no doubt those are obligatory (And eminently sensible)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Must be one too none of mine have one either
Nah some of mine have rear reflectors and the Trike still has pedal reflectors (only cos the pedals are 1/2" instead of 9/16" thread)

One type (in fact 2) of brakes need reflectors though, I wouldn't ride anything that used a straddle cable without a reflector bracket to stop em snagging on the tyre.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You're not going to be stopped by the police for lacking reflectors if you have a decent rear light. However, it gives a defence lawyer an excuse to reduce compensation if you get rear-ended. After all, your bike wasn't roadworthy.

I think the red rear reflector probably dates from the days of *no* mandatory rear lights, and remained useful with dynamo lights before standlights became almost universal. It's of marginal use with a typically bright battery LED.

Pedal reflectors are a bigger problem because they are problematic with clipless pedals. You can get big reflector attachments for double-sided SPDs which reduce your pedals to single-sided SPDs. That's hopeless.

Good morning,

.... It's of marginal use with a typically bright battery LED....

Only if you remember to turn it on! :-)

Yes I have forgotten, I normally have a second light clipped to the bottom of my jersey but this is less effective as it shines up into sky or down into the road if bend up or down too much.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Last edited:
Top Bottom