England : East Sussex Red Tops Ride to Brighton - 17th Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
[QUOTE 2021246, member: 1314"]Redtops - lol

183770_456524441035371_1211691261_n.jpg
[/quote]

Am I alone in thinking "Laurel and Hardy" whenever I see this photo?? And, User, where's your shoes?

PS: Martin, I do like your pink bar tape.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
2034587 said:
Indeed it might. It really needs designating as a cycle only route.
What's the road over devil's dyke next to the golf course like during the day?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Double boo!!!

I suggest going up over Devil's Dyke past the golf course. It gives us the same run down into Brighton as we'd get from climbing Ditchling but without the muppet motorists that I suspected (and Adrian confirms) we may meet on the Beacon.

A 9am start should put us in Brighton in good time for lunch.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
[QUOTE 2021246, member: 1314"]Redtops - lol

183770_456524441035371_1211691261_n.jpg
[/quote]

Has User been shrunk in the wash ? :whistle:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
2035164 said:
Hang about, apologies I was answering the wrong question, thinking about the golf course at Holingbury. The road over Devils Dyke and that golf course is OKish but doesn't have the good sight lines I was thinking of, more not so good ones
I've only been over it once and that was in the very early morning. Given the options (Ditchling Beacon or A23) I think it's probably the safest day time route into Brighton isn't it?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I thought we were doin a 9am start? I've messaged Emmy. I'll get the route ready over the weekend (hopefully tonight though) and then update the first post.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I ride the Beacon on average twice a week and it's not a problem with traffic. Hardly had an issue ever.
Similarly the route over the Dyke is okay if you take the right turn at Saddlescombe rather than staying on the busy, sweeping main road where the traffic tend to speed up for the climb.
The A23 cycle path is okay but noisy and lacking in charm as Adrian hinted.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
To echo the above, I have done the Beacon a couple of times this summer at a Saturday lunchtime. Not had a problem with motors, not on the climb anyway. The only place they have tended to blow their horns, was at the summit. Although that was probably because the turn into the car park was a bit congested, with bikes :whistle:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Seeing as of Monday I'm on gardening leave it'd be rude not to come along. Shame I look like a badly stuffed sausage in my only red cycling top...
You'll be fine. As I said on Twitter, User is on his fixed so we're not going too quick. And we're not going over the Beacon (I don't think).

I'm now considering riding from Brighton to Bexhill afterwards and testing my route back from Bexhill ready for Sunday.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
User, it's better if you go to Grays first, do your stuff and then we'll meet you at 10am outside Grays Station. Anyone else coming along, I'll be leaving Welling at 9am, will hit Bexleyheath about 9.15ish, Dartford Crossing at 9.30. That should get us to Grays at 10am to meet User.

Top Bottom