Redesigned zebra crossing on Bristol Railway Path now a hazard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Those who commute down this will have had to slosh through a large puddle the width of the path down in Easton. The new problem has been created since the zebra crossing was remodelled back in August. There have been a few protests over the years here by concerned parents about speeding bikes and the local media have banged on about it too. Ok, so I understand that issue.

So in step the council last August, redesign the crossing and raise the level by creating a 'speed bump'. Only problem is that they seem to have forgotten about how water behaves on a slope - it goes downhill and will pool at an obstruction. The speed 'bump' now acts as a dam, causing the water to pool up and thus create a big puddle about 10cm deep the width of the path and, as of tonight, about 12 -15ft long. It'll freeze in winter and become a skating rink.

I would consider this a serious hazard for both pedestrians who walk the path as well as cyclists and it's only a matter of time before there's a serious accident. The irony is that in an attempt to make this part of the path safer, the council have inadvertently created a new hazard.

So if you use the path, please let the council highways department know of the issue. Thanks.

snorri

Legendary Member
So if you use the path, please let the council highways department know of the issue. Thanks.
If you were to tell us which authority is responsible and give their email address, then more people would be inclined to report the problem:smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
These are two photos but I don't think they show the problem. My commute has changed and I don't go through here any more. The first one isn't mine but I took a screenshot at the time to show my husband the changes.

It used to be a straight path and it's also going downhill from the right to the left of the photo. But a path crosses the cycle path with a school literally just behind the first photo. Hence lots of accidents. They put in zebra markings, slow down, and had occasional police hanging around but that didn't work so they changed the design.

It seemed to be working to slow cyclists in the dry when I last used it. However I can imagine the problem on the side that has the steep slope to the raised table. My other concern would be that this area has been one that suffers from black ice, and I can imagine with the bend and slopes that is only going to be worse.
IMG_9350.PNG
This photo shows it from the lower side where they aren't trying to slow cyclists as much so a gradual slope. I don't have one from the opposite side I'm afraid.
IMG_0464.JPG

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

The level has changed just behind the lady in pink in the photo above. Water now pools behind almost to the word 'SLOW'. My concern is that it'll freeze when cold enough into a solid sheet of ice. To compound the problem, this section is in a cutting and hardly gets sunlight at this time of year. When it snows, ice hangs about down here for weeks after it's melted elsewhere. I have reported the problem on Fix My Street and there were council guys there yesterday but still a huge puddle in the evening. BTW, it's Bristol City Council to email.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
It's incredibly ironic that by trying to solve one problem they've created another. It probably cost an arm and a leg to redesign it aswell.

GOAB

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
Bloody hell. I've never been to Bristol but I've got a few friends from the city. I've always though Bristol was incredibly bike friendly and it stumps me that someone could sign this off without realising the implications.

GOAB

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Too dark when I rode in early this morning. Will set off later tomorrow and get a shot. BTW, this was mentioned in todays edition of the Bristol Post!. Have already posted on Fix My street and so has someone else.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 4566024, member: 45"]Reports that at some places the water is 10" deep this morning.[/QUOTE]
Once I rode through the tunnel when the approach to it was 10 inches deep.... I tried half pedalling but still got wet feet on that occasion. I think they have sorted out the drainage near the tunnel since then.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 4566089, member: 45"]Are you on the Bristol Cyclists FB page?[/QUOTE]
Well I've not looked today but I do regularly.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've looked at FB and seen there is a post now.

It also showed me my memories for today.... the water in the tunnel was this day 2012! How is that for coincidence!:laugh:
IMG_9361.PNG
IMG_9360.PNG

Top Bottom