Reduced cost living - share your ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not the actual magic potion then?

Can't say, I don't think I tried it.

Although in "Asterix in Britain", tea has a similar invigorating effect on the natives. :biggrin:

Speaking of which, time for a :cuppa:

presta

Guru
Once I've found he books I need to know where to look for ingredients, figure how much I need, which shop sells what...

... you still need to get ingredients, understand quantities...

...Assuming someone makes one meal, they need to know how to deal with the other potatoes, onions et c, or they go off and are useless.
This.

The shelves at my local library are groaning under the weight of cookery books, but as soon as I start browsing I lose the will to live. You're lucky if you can find one recipe per book where you can buy the ingredients in the quantities needed for one, and batch cooking will only take you so far. Some stuff just isn't well suited to freezing & reheating.

It's quite easy to create a diet that's cheap, or healthy, or low waste, or suitable for one, but doing all four together is a different kettle of fish.
I like websites like these, tell it what you have in the cupboard and it gives you some recipes: Supercook or Recipe Key.

That's the right way of going about it: decide on the ingredients and find a recipe instead of choosing a recipe and finding the ingredients.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Time is only important if I have a train to catch or someone to meet. Out on my bike or walking I know how long a circuit will roughly take. I haven’t worn a watch since 1994 when it came off my wrist whilst rock climbing and never got replaced.

There's a story about Amarillo Slim (or whichever similar famous poker player). His friends saw him wearing a nice Rolex at the card table one day so evidently the cards had been running his way. Next time they saw him he had an even dearer Patek Phillipe on his wrist, as befitting an even better winning streak. Some months later they saw him, this time without a watch at all. They assumed he'd had a few big losses but in fact he'd been playing better still and winning more than ever.

He explained that the ultimate luxury was not having to care what time it was

vickster

Legendary Member
Cutting your own hair saves money :okay: outlay of £15-£20 on a trimmer and wont need to visit the hairdressers for years if ever. :okay:

That’s fine if you’re a man or a woman who likes a crew cut, most of us don’t :smile:

Top Bottom