Reduced cost living - share your ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fair enough, except that is already a hurdle; I wouldn't know where to start looking for cooking books; it's all a complete mystery to me; most assume a basic understanding of cookery which not everyone has.

Once I've found he books I need to know where to look for ingredients, figure how much I need, which shop sells what... and for people who've done a long shift and have a list of chores waiting this is more to add. Factor in transport to and from the shops, especially public transport, the cost of cooking when people are scraping together cash to put in the meter and it becomes a big part of a very busy day.

The same applies to online resources; you still need to get ingredients, understand quantities... For people who struggle with numbers that's a hurdle. Has the hypothetical non-cook has/can afford the tools, bowls; sieves, and scales; that is an extra cost. A one-off to be sure but still a cost.

If it's a choice of 30€ to buy convenience food for a week or a set of utensils, probably people will buy convenience food. Charity shops sell kitchen utensils cheaply, if they have them on that day. I work with people for whom a 30€ loan over the weekend is a lifeline (although I have occasionally pointed out to certain individuals that if they stopped smoking/drinking they'd be better off...)

Assuming someone makes one meal, they need to know how to deal with the other potatoes, onions et c, or they go off and are useless.

And this of course works if people can read. Functional Illiteracy to some extent or another is surprisingly common, especially when it relates to a a mix of words and numbers and interpreting things like instructions. Immigrants have particular problems with this and if you can't read, a cookery book isn't much use.

Even if you can understanding most things, cooking introduces aa whole new vocabulary and when you have to keep translating words it's a royal PITA; I speak from experience here, and I'm fairly comfortable with translating tools.

Courses are handy, if you can afford the money for the course, ingredients, and/or time. And there's no language barrier. And you can overcome the social stigma attached to not being able to cook.

All in all, it's often easier to get a microwave meal; It'll cost in the long run, but many people in this position aren't thinking past the weekend anyway...

Your perspective is unique, because you see a lot of things that most of us don't. :blush:

There are plenty of books that take you through the basics - ones aimed at kids are a good bet, but there' a lot of the "how to boil and egg" type stuff knocking around as well. Marguerite Patten or Delia Smith do that kind of stuff very well.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Your perspective is unique, because you see a lot of things that most of us don't. :blush:

There are plenty of books that take you through the basics - ones aimed at kids are a good bet, but there' a lot of the "how to boil and egg" type stuff knocking around as well. Marguerite Patten or Delia Smith do that kind of stuff very well.

TBH I don't like Delia, I find her patronising, the secret to cooking nice food is to enjoy cooking. Once cooking becomes a chore then the food is at best basic but once you enjoy cooking it elevates it to another level. At the risk of being called a 'hippy' I know this is true, even Gordon Ramsay says cooking has to have 'passion' or it is just mediocre at best, 2 cooks given the same ingredients can result in a completely different meal.

TBH I don't like Delia, I find her patronising, the secret to cooking nice food is to enjoy cooking. Once cooking becomes a chore then the food is at best basic but once you enjoy cooking it elevates it to another level. At the risk of being called a 'hippy' I know this is true, even Gordon Ramsay says cooking has to have 'passion' or it is just mediocre at best, 2 cooks given the same ingredients can result in a completely different meal.

I'm more on about the books, which really do take you through stuff step-by-step. I'm NOT a fan of her TV programmes - I'm much more of a Two Fat Ladies / Hairy Bikers kind of gal. :blush:

Jameshow

Veteran

I like Delia must get a copy again..

Much simpler cooking than Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey etc...

This is true, but it's also why I think it's important to present here. It's easy for us to see a problem and come up with a solution which looks simple and pragmatic to us. Unfortunately simple solutions are rarely very effective because they don't take the issues on the ground into account.

The logic of books aimed at kids makes sense, it's simple language and lots of pictures, fairly cheap because of the mass market. Unfortunately for people who already believe themselves to be stupid and useless, this reinforces the feeling "I'm so dumb I have to be treated like a child." One issue I face at work is that people who know they are intelligent and capable, can learn and achieve vastly more than people who believe they are stupid and incapable.

I don't say this to belittle your suggestions, but to point out that poor nutrition is one visible part of a really complex mess that has a lot more nuances and will take a lot more untangling than many activists would like to admit.

This reminded me of an older lady I knew who was a great proponent of "eating local" and would frequently tell everyone how important it was. Now, this lady is fairly well off, so someone pointed out that this was not always that easy, but she was adamant it was simple. In the morning she'd get into the car, drive about five miles and collect leftover produce from the fields where items had been rejected for shape or damage et c, which to her was "living simple"; eating seasonally" and all the other things she espoused.

Of course, she didn't have a job because her husband earned more than enough for both of them, and in the morning the house was too noisy anyway because that's when the cleaner came.

On the other hand I've known clients bewailing their inability to eke out their finances to the end of the week, and be shocked when my boss gets fed up and says "I can solve that for you: stop drinking and smoking..."

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
This is true, but it's also why I think it's important to present here. It's easy for us to see a problem and come up with a solution which looks simple and pragmatic to us. Unfortunately simple solutions are rarely very effective because they don't take the issues on the ground into account.

Foe example, the logic of books aimed at kids makes sense, it's simple language and lots of pictures. Unfortunately for people who already believe themselves to be stupid and useless, this reinforces the feeling "I'm so dumb I have to be treated like a child." One issue I face at work is that people who know they are intelligent and capable, can learn and achieve vastly more than people who believe they are stupid and incapable.

I don't say this to belittle your suggestions, but to point out that poor nutrition is one visible part of a really complex mess that has a lot more nuances and will take a lot more untangling than many activists would like to admit.

This reminded me of an older lady I knew who was a great proponent of "eating local" and would frequently tell everyone how important it was. Now, this lady is fairly well off, so someone pointed out that this was not always that easy, but she was adamant it was simple. In the morning she'd get into the car, drive about five miles and collect leftover produce from the fields where items had been rejected for shape or damage et c, which to her was "living simple"; eating seasonally" and all the other things she espoused.

Of course, she didn't have a job because her husband earned more than enough for both of them, and in the morning the house was too noisy anyway because that's when the cleaner came.

On the other hand I've known clients bewailing their inability to eke out their finances to the end of the week, and be shocked when my boss gets fed up and says "I can solve that for you: stop drinking and smoking..."

Thanks for your perspective, Andy.

Reminds me of volunteering at the homeless charity. Our starting point was getting people to microwave milk so they could have warm milk on their cornflakes. That was a revelation for a couple of people.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I agree with Andy.Everyone is different at the end of the day and their circumstances are different, so what works for one doesn't for another. A lot of people cant even afford gas and electric, or struggle, to cook let alone doing any type of recipe. Many people just eat bread and biscuits etc or what they can get their hands on that doesn't need cooking. I'm talking about those who are very low income here.
For a lot who are working full time, many wont be wanting to come home and cook a meal from absolute scratch with loads of ingredients etc. Most people just shove something in the oven, even if they eat healthily. Its generally recognised that a lot of meals are about just reheating/assembling etc.
For those who are homeless and in the grip of addictions they will just be getting pasties etc, going to food projects and soup kitchens etc for food, or getting people to buy them the odd sandwich here and there. No chance that group of people will be buying cookbooks etc and getting loads of cutlery and pots and pans together.

The logic of books aimed at kids makes sense, it's simple language and lots of pictures, fairly cheap because of the mass market. Unfortunately for people who already believe themselves to be stupid and useless, this reinforces the feeling "I'm so dumb I have to be treated like a child." One issue I face at work is that people who know they are intelligent and capable, can learn and achieve vastly more than people who believe they are stupid and incapable.

So where does my copy of "Cooking with Asterix" come in, then? I think it's cool enough to make *anyone* want to use it. :becool:

The first cookery book I bought for myself was when I was about eight. We had a book club at school, where every month you could buy books from a selection - it was almost like a subscription thing. I picked out Marguerite Patten's "Piccolo Cookbook" which I used a fair bit until I gravitated to a cookbook from M&S (St Michael in those days!) and a handful from the Sainsbury's range. Those, I still use, especially for the cakes and biscuits.

D_97_goodtimes

Fascinating to see how this thread has developed over a couple years.

Hard wired from a young age to see waste as a sin. Here are some meals that are easy to make. You don’t have to eat all of the Treacle Sponge in one go.

Bubble and Squeak.
Bread pudding.
Corned Beef hash.
Cheesy hammy eggy.
Risotto.
Treacle Sponge pudding.
Flapjacks.
Rock cakes.
Beef stew using shin of beef with onions, carrots, beef stock, tomato purée , mixed herbs and water. A spoonful of flour will help to thicken the stew.

Kettles all seem to be 1.7 litre capacity. Why are 1 litre kettles not the norm?
Slow Cookers are fabulous - use a timer and only fill halfway.
Use a sharp knife.
Have all of the ingredients at room temperature prior to cooking.
Do not be afraid to fail.

classic33

Leg End Member
So where does my copy of "Cooking with Asterix" come in, then? I think it's cool enough to make *anyone* want to use it. :becool:

The first cookery book I bought for myself was when I was about eight. We had a book club at school, where every month you could buy books from a selection - it was almost like a subscription thing. I picked out Marguerite Patten's "Piccolo Cookbook" which I used a fair bit until I gravitated to a cookbook from M&S (St Michael in those days!) and a handful from the Sainsbury's range. Those, I still use, especially for the cakes and biscuits.
Is that the one that includes the magic potion recipe?

Top Bottom