Reduced cost living - share your ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Isn't it a bit late then?

I was going to say that! Small test samples, presumably? :whistle:

Mind you, if the dogs (I'm assuming that they are dogs, not llamas, warthogs, crocodiles etc.) are anything like my sister's border terrier, a moment's hesitation and the food would be gone. She turned her back on him for a few seconds once and he had jumped up and eaten a whole 12" pizza before she turned back round again! :laugh:

Mind you, if the dogs (I'm assuming that they are dogs, not llamas, warthogs, crocodiles etc.) are anything like my sister's border terrier, a moment's hesitation and the food would be gone. She turned her back on him for a few seconds once and he had jumped up and eaten a whole 12" pizza before she turned back round again! :laugh:

I think they're cats.

Isn't it a bit late then?

The girls aren't *THAT* greedy...

IMG_5054_small.jpg

Well, Lexi isn't... Usually... But she will steal cheese. Poppy will steal any unattended crisps / snacks / poppadoms... :blush:

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran

My grandparent's JRT once got hold of an Xmas, home cooked ham. Apparently my gran picked it out of its jaws, cleaned it off and fed it to us. The story only came out a year or so later. Considering the ham was well over 1m up on a windowsill or shelf that jrt really wanted it and jumped higher than you'd think possible to get it. It nearly got n the turkey one year too.

PapaZita

Guru
We have a monthly budget that covers all the monthly bills, food, fuel, etc. The thing that used to make this difficult is that not every month is the same. For example, water bills are every 6 months, car Insurance annually, etc. So now, on pay day, a chunk of money gets transferred automatically to another account, and (in a spreadsheet) is divided into notional buckets. For example, car insurance of £1200/year gets £100 per month. We have buckets for less predictable things too, like house maintenance, and for fun things, like bicycles or holidays. The number of buckets and the amount we save into each adapts over time, and it’s all quite flexible. It’s really easy to transfer some money back out if we need to spend it, but i think just having to do so makes us think a bit more carefully about what we’re spending, and the spreadsheet helps us understand where it all went. But it’s making every month the same that has really helped to make the budgeting work. Despite the rising prices of everything, we seem to have more money that we did a couple of years ago!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We have a monthly budget that covers all the monthly bills, food, fuel, etc. The thing that used to make this difficult is that not every month is the same. For example, water bills are every 6 months, car Insurance annually, etc. So now, on pay day, a chunk of money gets transferred automatically to another account, and (in a spreadsheet) is divided into notional buckets. For example, car insurance of £1200/year gets £100 per month. We have buckets for less predictable things too, like house maintenance, and for fun things, like bicycles or holidays. The number of buckets and the amount we save into each adapts over time, and it’s all quite flexible. It’s really easy to transfer some money back out if we need to spend it, but i think just having to do so makes us think a bit more carefully about what we’re spending, and the spreadsheet helps us understand where it all went. But it’s making every month the same that has really helped to make the budgeting work. Despite the rising prices of everything, we seem to have more money that we did a couple of years ago!

Sounds exactly how we do it.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Well we've just taken our old banner to the auto wreckers and got a few hundred pounds instead of virtually nothing if we'd gone to the company that promises to buy anything car like. Money back for a real banger that at least runs well. So we're one car again and saving money.

stephec

Legendary Member
My grandparent's JRT once got hold of an Xmas, home cooked ham. Apparently my gran picked it out of its jaws, cleaned it off and fed it to us. The story only came out a year or so later. Considering the ham was well over 1m up on a windowsill or shelf that jrt really wanted it and jumped higher than you'd think possible to get it. It nearly got n the turkey one year too.

Even worse than that, many years ago my MiL walked into the kitchen to find their pit bull terrier dragging the turkey round the floor whilst the oven was warming up.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Yep, that's how it works in our house though £1200pa for car insurance sounds like an awful lot.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you have an expensive mobile phone, run it for a year or two on a SIM-only contract after the initial period expires. You can normally do this after about 22 months of a (nominally) 24 month contract, and it saves £30-35 a month.

Buy any new phone contract just after the annual RPI+a gazillion% price rise. Then you'll only get one price rise during the contract. These are just existing-sucker gouging anyway; the price of a new contract has barely changed over the years.

Hmmm, I only have a PAYG phone. Mainly because I do virtually all of my internetting and social media-ing on the laptop. So my £22 monthly broadband connection covers everything, and the phone is near enough for emergencies only. I do take advantage of free wi-fi when I'm out and about however, if need be.

Also, I recently needed a more reliable watch, as my trusty nearly 30 year old Seiko has started to play up. I've retired the Seiko and bought a beater automatic for everyday use and a nice wind-up watch for poncy occasions, both in good working order off the 'bay. So no more batteries and I give something vintage a new lease of life. The two watches (dating to the early 70s) cost me a smidgin over £20 including postage.

A like for like replacement for my Seiko would be over £200, and the automatic would set me back £360.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Hmmm, I only have a PAYG phone. Mainly because I do virtually all of my internetting and social media-ing on the laptop. So my £22 monthly broadband connection covers everything, and the phone is near enough for emergencies only. I do take advantage of free wi-fi when I'm out and about however, if need be.

Also, I recently needed a more reliable watch, as my trusty nearly 30 year old Seiko has started to play up. I've retired the Seiko and bought a beater automatic for everyday use and a nice wind-up watch for poncy occasions, both in good working order off the 'bay. So no more batteries and I give something vintage a new lease of life. The two watches (dating to the early 70s) cost me a smidgin over £20 including postage.

A like for like replacement for my Seiko would be over £200, and the automatic would set me back £360.

Sounds good!

I gave up having and wearing a watch several years ago and was surprised at how little I missed it and how good I am at estimating the time. If I need to know the exact time I just glance at my phone.

Top Bottom