Reducing front wheel weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I just put a ksyrium elite on the turbo trainer, and it spins up so much faster, the handling feels the same so i might put the heavy front wheel back on.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

There appears to be little point as having looked at your points across various threads I don't believe much would be gained from entering into a debate with you. Your comments are one sided, you never accept someone else's opinion and its very much a case of your way or the highway.

Whilst I do not doubt your cycling or mechanical expertise, your grasp of physics I do. Moving a heavier object takes more force and more effort than a smaller one. Therefore a lighter bike will be easier to accelerate and will have a higher top speed.

F1 cars follow the same laws of physics as a bike. Therefore it is reasonable to use them as an example. However, if you don't like comparing to F1 cars, then why not road cars. Arial Atoms are faster than all cars with comparable power. Their reduced weight being the key difference.

I think what your argument boils down to is that you wont necessarily feel a difference of 500g reduction. Whilst this is an opinion and some will notice some wont, you cannot argue with the following facts as they are proven by the laws of physics.

Will a lighter bike accelerate faster: YES
Will a lighter bike be quicker: YES
Is it better to save weight on wheels or frame: Due to the additional rotational forces under acceleration, wheels.

Therefore I think it boils down to whether or not you personally can accept that someone will feel a difference. I for one believe you will. If you don't, that's great but please don't start saying that they wont make a tangible difference. As they will.

Either way, I have my answer from helpful people like @Justinslow @Klassikbike @Fab Foodie among others, so unless you can demonstrate that the laws of physics have changed since I studied them at school, higher education and university, then I'm not sure this debate is worth my time.

Say hello to your new lapdog Justin. From now on he will endorse every word you say. There are others like that too.

Saying that a heavier bike wont achieve the same top speed as a lighter one as you said in your text, indicates that you wasted your time a school and university and your degree in physics is worthless.

Using words like quicker confirms this. It is meaningless. What units do you measure it in?
I am still awaiting your list of similarities between bicycles and F1 cars or as you have now downgraded to, ordinary cars.
What percentage of difference do you consider tangible? Please put a figure to this, all else will then fall into perspective.
I doubt you have read my postings on the topic because you show no grasp of what I'm saying.
Do you not understand context? I tried very hard to explain it. Perhaps spend some time to consider what I'm saying.

Wheels do make a difference, but I suspect its all about feel rather than anything concrete in pace. My example is my kaffenback which I ran with the standard wheels and to be frank, the thing just felt dead. I mean its heavy anyway, but it just was not nice to ride. In desperation I changed (wheels only as the tires, tubes etc all got transferred) to some handbuilts. I am guessing they saved some weight as they were hope hubs with H+rims, but more importantly the bike felt nicer to ride. I accept that the difference in the quality of wheels was huge and changing from good to v good may not have such an impact, but it does have a subjective impact.

Interestingly I have been reading reviews in Cyclist magazine and those testers are good enough to attribute how a bike feels to wheels and how a better/ lighter? set of wheels can make a difference on hills removing sluggishness etc. But it may all be marginal gains and at pro level it all counts. At my level, I just want to enjoy the ride.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
No need to look it up. I've already done the calculations for you and posted them on this very forum. There is an example, the calculations and the results for all to see. The point is that the difference is negligible because you are not only accelerating a wheel, but a wheel plus a 80kg mass and the wheel's portion of the energy required of that one big lump of intertia-tardy mass is ridiculously low.

yebbutt what about this calculation

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...gg1MAc&usg=AFQjCNGXOTQqplFmfqzPCJn0rTAue890sg
Say hello to your new lapdog Justin. From now on he will endorse every word you say. There are others like that too.

Saying that a heavier bike wont achieve the same top speed as a lighter one as you said in your text, indicates that you wasted your time a school and university and your degree in physics is worthless.

Using words like quicker confirms this. It is meaningless. What units do you measure it in?
I am still awaiting your list of similarities between bicycles and F1 cars or as you have now downgraded to, ordinary cars.
What percentage of difference do you consider tangible? Please put a figure to this, all else will then fall into perspective.
I doubt you have read my postings on the topic because you show no grasp of what I'm saying.
Do you not understand context? I tried very hard to explain it. Perhaps spend some time to consider what I'm saying.

despite your rather pompous comment you have stated that there is negligable difference between mass on the wheel and mass on the bike for acceleration. Roughly twice as much energy needed ti accelerate a bicycle wheel of a given mass than same mass on bike. You clealrly have a tenuous grasp of physics but revert to insults instead.

Constant speed on flat, fair enough mass ain't that important. Uphill - again fair enough - mass is mass.

Acceleration of spinning objects - different story

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly

Are you trolling now? Calling people "lapdogs"?
Listen, I tagged you in on this thread because I and others value
Your technical knowledge, however we don't value your opinionated arrogance!
so to sum up your points- it's absolutely worthless having a lighter bike for everyone?

outlash

also available in orange

Post of the year and it's only April :smile:.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Are you trolling now? Calling people "lapdogs"?
Listen, I tagged you in on this thread because I and others value
Your technical knowledge, however we don't value your opinionated arrogance!
so to sum up your points- it's absolutely worthless having a lighter bike for everyone?

When I saw you tagging Yellow Saddle I knew this thread would become silly.
I have him in my ignore list but I cannot make sense of a thread if I ignore his posts so I end up reading his comments.

The forum is not enjoyable like this so I'm considering to leave now.

Last edited by a moderator:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

I have him in my ignore list but I cannot make sense of a thread if I ignore his posts so I end up reading his comments.

Just let it go over your head i find him quite amusing.:wacko:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly

Sorry, and I really mean that, don't let one individual ruin your usage of this forum, please.
Like @derrick says let it go over your head.
Think of poor yellow, it can't be nice to be so unloved, got to mess with your head that has.

Top Bottom