Reflections on doing my first event

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Today I did my first event - the 55 mile Cambrian Challenge organised by North Shropshire Wheelers.

I'm very much an occasional cyclist; I go out 2 or 3 times a month for about 10 miles (Spring & Summer only) on a hybrid bike with a tag-along.

My road bike is about 30 years old; it has 6 gears at the back ranging from 12 to 28 teeth. My cycle helmet is about 25 years old - it looks rather like a motorbike helmet which has no chin protection and it has no vents. I do not have any cycling wear apart from some baggy shorts and some shoes from Lidl. For the Challenge, I wore an old long sleeved Helly Hansen with a short sleeved T-shirt over it. I was very comfortable the entire ride.

The day before the ride, I bought some cheap and cheerful SPD pedals to replace my toeclips; they are brilliant !!! Everyone should use them - I'm a convert !!! On the small amount of flat that there was on the route, I appeared to be going about 5mph faster than with toeclips- with no extra effort.

Thus prepared, I set off on the ride. I cycled in isolation for about 18 miles, with no-one to be seen either behind or in front. Eventually, I caught two cyclists, one of whom was a little older than myself - probably in his early 50s. The other looked to be in his late 30s. It was immediately apparent to me that these were two very experienced cyclists. The older guy was walking on some of the steeper climbs; the younger guy seemed to be a rider of no mean ability, his bike looked to be rather highly geared (for the event) yet he still managed to pull away on the climbs.

They looked at my clothing and my bike and I could tell that they were not impressed. We came to a steep descent where they shot away from me. As a newbie, I have to admit the I find steep descents to be a considerable challenge to both my nerves and my brakes. I caught them on the next climb, 'cos the older guy was struggling a bit.

"I haven't got the bottle to descend like you guys" said I - it was intended as a back-handed compliment.

"You'll never descend well on those crap old sidepulls" said the younger one, whom I named Mr Snide. "You need dual pivot brakes like ours" - 'very encouraging' I thought.

"My bike cost me £4,700" said the older one, "the handlebars alone cost £450, it's all carbon fibre . . . etc.".

We stopped at a junction to check the route, Mr Snide just to my right. "You need a new chain" he said, "I can see daylight through it". I have to confess that I didn't know what he was talking about. He then told me that he worked in a bike shop in Stafford , so he 'knew all about bikes'.

The route (which is very hilly anyway) has the option of an extra 2 -3 mile loop down into Llangollen, and then back up a very steep hill. "Are you doing the Llangollen loop" I asked, "No" they replied. "Well I'm going to have a go at it" says I.

"You'll never do it" said the older one, "you need a triple to get up there".

Thus encouraged, I set off on the extra loop. Patrick Stevens very kindly described the course in considerable detail. I now believe that he is a master of the understatement. I was determined to conquer the hill up Blaen Bache and I just managed it without walking. My speedo told me that for a considerable part of the climb, I was doing no more 3.5 mph. I was weaving all over the road. A couple of times, my front wheel lifted, and my back wheel was spinning through lack of grip. When I got home, I measured the climb on Memory Map; for the worst bit, I climbed 542ft in 3/4 of a mile (how does that compare with Mow Cop ?) I don't know the gradient, but it seemed very, very tough - for me, at any rate. I have to state that the climb had a detrimental effect on subsequent hills, my legs never really recovered for the rest of the ride.

At about 35 miles, I stopped at a refreshment point, manned by a guy (who organised the route) from North Shropshire Wheelers and a lady from Shrewsbury CTC. They were very encouraging (what a newbie needs) and they deserve a great deal of praise for standing in the middle of nowhere for many hours.

I asked the organiser if he knew what the phrase 'light through the chain' meant. "Of course" he said. He then provided an explanation and inspected my chain - "It's in excellent condition". Actually, I then realised that Mr Snide wouldn't have been able to see light through my chain, 'cos I was always on the inner chainwheel and he cycled on my right.

My legs felt worse after the stop and the rest of the ride was hard work. I finished the 55 miles in 4 hours and 28 minutes (I didn't stop my watch at the food stop).

"How did you find it ?" said the official who was handing out the finishers certificates. " A very tough first event, but I just managed to get up the hill out of Llangollen".

"I'm not bloody surprised" said a voice from a nearby table (Mr Snide), "anyone could get up there with mountain bike gears like yours on the back".

I set off on the short ride home feeling rather dejected, and I'd been so pleased to have cycled all the way without having to walk any of it. Had I 'cheated' for having 'mountain bike' gears on the back ? When I had a new cassette fitted a year or two back, I was told that the largest number of teeth that would fit on my back wheel was 28 - because it is so old. I had it fitted 'cos I live in a very hilly area, so from a practical point of view, it makes sense. I must say that I was very pleased with how my bike went, which is a big 'plus'.

I'm not sure whether or not to have a go at the Cheshire Cat next year; my main sport for the past 25 years is running, and I've never experienced such sporting 'snobbery'. I didn't realise that my bike, the gears it has or my attire would be so 'important' to others; people seem to look at what you are wearing/riding and that is what they 'value' you by. Has anyone else experienced this ? My son goes to a nursery and it costs a small fortune to send him there - about £25,000 for 4 years. It wouldn't make financial sense for an occasional cyclist such as myself to buy a new bike. I couldn't justify it.

The adverts that I've seen for the Cheshire Cat (and similar events) show cyclists clad in the latest gear on the latest bikes - just like Mr Snide & his pal. I'm not sure I'd 'fit in' on my 30 year old steel framed 'relic'.

I passed quite a few cyclists going the other way - they were on the Mountain Bike route. I would smile and say "Hi". Not one responded. They all looked so grim and serious. Again, I've never experienced this in running circles.

Is it normally like this ?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Well done for getting round, which is more of an achievement than not doing it. Ignore the people with attitude, they're knobs. Welcome to the forum. enjoy the ride here.

ASC1951

Guru
Some people see audaxes as the limit of human endeavour, a 'severe test for man and machine'. If you breeze round in your granny's cast-offs, riding a converted washing machine and - worst of all - apparently enjoying yourself, well, it devalues the whole experience for them.

You did leave the Tag-along on, I hope?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Bah for the snobs, and chapeau to you for getting 'round.

I don't ride events as such, but I ride around cheshire a fair bit, and most people seem to let on regardless of what you (or they) are riding or wearing.

yello

If you enjoyed it (and it sounds like you did!) and are encouraged to do it again then that is all that matters. What others think is neither here nor there.

Oh, and well done! I don't know that particular climb but I know there are some tough ones in that region. Whether you do it on carbon fibre or the 3 year old girl next door's tricycle (having asked her permission of course), it is still an achievement and a huge sense of satisfaction.

Greenbank

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
Some people see audaxes...

From the description; it was a Sportive not an Audax. I can't imagine anyone getting this kind of "abuse" on an Audax, especially given many Audaxers have ancient steel frames of a similar age with plenty of gears. Sportives are, on the other hand, often filled with this kind of alpha-male tosser.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Many thanks for your kind replies, at the time I did feel quite 'down'.

The alpha male analogy occurred to me afterwards; what surprised me in particular, was the number of grim-faced people at the event - before, during and after. No-one really looked particularly happy or that they had enjoyed themselves. I've not experienced that in sport before.

I have to mention, however, that the organisation of the event was top-notch; as good as anything I've experienced in running. And the North Shropshire Wheelers at the feed station were particularly nice people. Full marks to them for organising a great event.

What I would like to know is - if my cassette has 28 teeth, is that seen as having an unfair advantage ? Is it considered to be a mountain bike gear ? Would it be seen as cheating on a Sportive such as the Cheshire Cat ?

Regardless of my gears, I found it to be a very, very hard event. I'm used to 'suffering' and working hard, as I've done over a dozen marathons and countless tough fell races; but that race turned my legs to jelly at times.

A massive 'plus' is that in the mirror this morning, I certainly looked slimmer and my bathroom confirmed that I've lost about 4 lbs.

I'm still not sure if I'll enter the Cheshire Cat, I'd really like to do a 100 miler and tackle Mow Cop.

If I do it, you'll soon recognise me; I'll be the guy with the outmoded clothing and ancient bike.

Greenbank

Über Member
pubrunner said:
What I would like to know is - if my cassette has 28 teeth, is that seen as having an unfair advantage ? Is it considered to be a mountain bike gear ? Would it be seen as cheating on a Sportive such as the Cheshire Cat ?

No, of course not. It's a macho thing amongst some riders to ride on the smallest range casettes. They're mocking you because, secretly, they'd rather be riding on a bike with such gears rather than playing their macho game amongst themselves.

pubrunner said:
A massive 'plus' is that in the mirror this morning, I certainly looked slimmer and my bathroom confirmed that I've lost about 4 lbs.

Don't mean to put a downer on this but it's just dehydration. 4lbs of fat is 14,000kcal which you'd need to cycle relatively hard for about 28 hours and, most importantly, not eat anything. You may have lost a little weight doing the ride, but it will be impossible to measure given the usual fluctuations of your body based on eating/abluting and hydration levels.

You have every reason to feel happy and proud of your achievement. Ignore pretty much everything that Mr Snide and pal said.

Tynan

Veteran
sounds like you did very well indeed and extra for the hill

if you kept pace with them then you;re as good as them, esp with an old bike and if you tackled the hill the other bloke passed on then you did better than him on the day

side pull brakes are poor though

yenrod

RE: "My bike cost me £4,700" said the older one, "the handlebars alone cost £450, it's all carbon fibre . . . etc.".

We stopped at a junction to check the route, Mr Snide just to my right. "You need a new chain" he said, "I can see daylight through it". I have to confess that I didn't know what he was talking about. He then told me that he worked in a bike shop in Stafford , so he 'knew all about bikes'.

The route (which is very hilly anyway) has the option of an extra 2 -3 mile loop down into Llangollen, and then back up a very steep hill. "Are you doing the Llangollen loop" I asked, "No" they replied. "Well I'm going to have a go at it" says I.

"You'll never do it" said the older one, "you need a triple to get up there".

----------------------------

What a bunch of jerks !

I despise people like that - and find my life a whole lot better when I piss then off ! :rolleyes:

You well and trully outclassed these weekenders !

Well done - as corny as that sounds ! :rolleyes:

PS- you should start racing BTW.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
side pull brakes are poor though

Would my local bike shop be able to fit dual pivot brakes on an older bike like mine ? How much is an 'affordable' pair ?

I have to admit, on the descent into Llangollen, it was so steep that my brakes were pretty much full on all the way down - to little effect !

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
ASC1951 said:
You did leave the Tag-along on, I hope?

Perhaps next time !

My opportunities to cycle on a Sunday are quite limited, 'cos my other half plays ladies football at quite a decent level; meaning, I have to look after our young son. Luckily, he loves going cycling.

Fortunately, there was no fixture this weekend.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
pubrunner said:
Would my local bike shop be able to fit dual pivot brakes on an older bike like mine ? How much is an 'affordable' pair ?
I looked at this for my old steel bike (loved it, but the frame was a touch too small for me). If the brakes are nut fitting, (i.e. the fixings aren't recessed into the fork and brake bridge) they're hard to find, but not impossible. Tektro manufacture some reasonably priced ones, and I found a place called Byers Cycles (they have a website, but do mail order by post rather than true online shopping).

The other thing to consider is the "drop[1]" of the brakes, measured from the centre of the nut down the the middle of the braking surface of the rim. Older bikes tend to have longer drops than newer bikes (although this isn't always the case).

[1] My mistake, this is actually the "reach" of the caliper, see here.

Byer Cycles Brakes Page;
http://www.byercycles.co.uk/02R0908.html

Top Bottom