Reflections on doing my first event

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tomb1960

Pubrunner you showed them! Huge respect! I am now a 'veteran' of three Audaxes this year, and have found the variety of bikes and abilities fascinating, and have found all three events brilliantly organised, totally inclusive, and very friendly. I think you have been unlucky in your choice of event. I'm 48 too and ride with a group of like-minded individuals, the 'Portly Peleton' we affectionately call ourselves, if you are planning some Audaxes in the Midlands next year let us know, you could tag along with us, safety in numbers etc. That said it sounds as though you might totally outclass us on the hills!

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
alp1950 said:
Great story & helpful post to newbies like myself wondering about starting to ride events.

Did you ever think about joining a club as one way into this scene?

Yes, I have thought of joining a club; the closest club to me is almost entirely interested in time trials - which don't appeal to me. There are clubs 25 - 35 miles away, which organise social rides, but I'd have to drive out to go on them. I don't mind driving out for a social ride, but I can't see the point when many of the rides then go through the area in which I live. I live in the hills due west of Oswestry; a great area for cycling (quiet roads/great scenery), but sadly there doesn't appear to be a club catering for the needs of social riders. Perhaps this is because of the very hilly terrain in the locality.

Also, my other half plays for a Ladies football team most Sundays - which appears to be the day on which most social rides occur.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
tomb1960 said:
Pubrunner you showed them! Huge respect! I am now a 'veteran' of three Audaxes this year, and have found the variety of bikes and abilities fascinating, and have found all three events brilliantly organised, totally inclusive, and very friendly. I think you have been unlucky in your choice of event. I'm 48 too and ride with a group of like-minded individuals, the 'Portly Peleton' we affectionately call ourselves, if you are planning some Audaxes in the Midlands next year let us know, you could tag along with us, safety in numbers etc. That said it sounds as though you might totally outclass us on the hills!

Many thanks indeed, for the offer to come out with your group; I'd be very pleased if you could let me know of some of the events that you do. I've nothing planned for next year, though I would like to have a crack at the Cheshire Cat.

In reality, it is quite possible/likely that I'd struggle to keep with your group. I'm not talking myself down, but I really do cycle no more than once a week (usually once a fortnight); I usually do 9 - 12 miles with the nipper on a tagalong. And that's it !!! And I'm not getting any younger !!!

Nick G

Well done Pubrunner. I don't know that particualr ride but I spent a week in Shropshire with my bike this summer and it's seriously hilly.

I've done three sportives this year and I agree, there's a lot of carbon and fancy kit on show. On the whole, however, I found people to be mainly friendly. On my first I got a mechanical breakdown early on and lots of people slowed down to ask if they could help.

I ride a modern steel bike - not by any means top spec and with a compact chainset. I've never yet got off to walk, but I've ridden (sometimes slowly) past people pushing very expensive bikes up hills. It makes up for any sneering in my book.

As the woman who runs my local bike shop said, it's the rider not the bike that makes it move. You sound like a fit bloke so even on an old bike you'll be better than someone who's unfit but paid a fortune for a lightweight high spec carbon machine. That's really what pissed off your two compadres.

Top Bottom