Reflective Paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

I have a hi viz coat, reflective stickers on my bike, and decent lights. Drivers still claim that they didn't see me. I don't think there's any more I can reasonably do.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
User482 said:
I have a hi viz coat, reflective stickers on my bike, and decent lights. Drivers still claim that they didn't see me. I don't think there's any more I can reasonably do.

I agree, I work on the principle that if I am potentially more visable, then all the better.
Should(and fingers crossed I won't)I be involved in an accident that was a drivers fault, I imagine that Police would be more sympathetic to a cyclist(like myself)dressed like a Christmas Tree, than one wearing all black and carrying a few single lights.

T x

Maz

Guru
BentMikey said:
This sort of topic is one reason why I have a problem with HiViz. There will always be people who see you and go anyway because you're just a bloody pushbike (sic), and people who just don't look at all and go anyway, even in front of a bus. HiViz isn't going to change their actions.

The remainder, the majority luckily, are people who look, see you, and stop because it's right. HiViz isn't going to change their actions.
I don't think it's hi-viz/reflective that you have a problem with - it's (like me) the reactions of inconsiderate or careless drivers.

hi-viz works as it gets you seen.

OP
OP
galaxy1

galaxy1

If The entire bike is glow in the dark hi viz and if the oncoming car has their lights on then there really is no excuse for drivers to say "oh sorry mate,didnt see you"

Tynan

Veteran
ffs

the hi viz might help someone see me that wouldn't have otherwise yeah?

and as long as I ride as usual, as if I wasn't wearing hi viz it can't be a bad thing and it might indeed help surely? given the constant complaint is that drivers don;t see cyclists?

the anti safety argument amazes me every time

helmets and hi viz eh? it's a wonder that there's anyone left alive wearing either

I wear the nightvision jacker and two full on rear lights and it's very apparent how much better and earlier most other road users see me now

Maz

Guru
BentMikey said:
Tynan, did you ever consider that my argument is actually pro-safety? Because it is, though I'm not suggesting that makes you anti-safety.
I don't undestand how your argument is pro-safety. You're arguing that NOT wearing hi-viz/reflective is a good thing safetywise? If it is, I just don't get it. Not trying to be funny or anything, but can you explain, please?

andygates

I hate to say it, but painting a bike hi-viz will probably serve merely to sharpen up the chip on your shoulder... when you next get SMIDSY'd (and you will, because eventually they just don't look or their eyes aren't connected to their brain) there will be a bitterness and bile detonation sufficient to wipe out all vertebrate life in Europe. :rolleyes:

They don't see because they don't see, not because you're not visible. It's a numbers game, a simple lottery we play every time we ride in traffic. A hi-viz paint job is really just a dashboard Madonna: a prayer to good fortune on the roads.

Tynan

Veteran
BentMikey said:
Tynan, did you ever consider that my argument is actually pro-safety? Because it is, though I'm not suggesting that makes you anti-safety.

Lets disagree then Mikey, I'm reading you as saying that Hi Viz is or can be less safe than not using it, just like the anti helmet brigade saying that they're useless at best, that they're safer without one

People can break their own skulls and kill themselves with my blessing but it hacks me off to see them post it and maybe convince others that don't really want to wear helmets or hi viz because it's not 'cool'

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Arch said:
I must say, Stockton Lane is probably not one of my favourite roads

Nor mine. Mrs Uncle Phil almost got wiped out on the bridge over the A64. The driver of a council lorry tried to pass her as he approached the summit of the bridge. Guess which way he swerved when he met the oncoming car?

Seriously, watch that bridge, however visible you are, especially approaching York from Stockton on't' Forest; I've had near misses there too.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The problem specifically with HiViz is that it doesn't do much for your visibility, and yet it brings on risk compensation. That will tend to either make the safety benefit nil, or make it slightly more dangerous through your own actions. And as Andy says, it'll up your anger when you get another SMIDSY.

It's nothing to do with coolness, it's all about misplaced effort towards safety. There's a reason it's known as urban camouflage.

Maz

Guru
Thanks for the explanation Mikey. I couldn't disagree more, but I'll leave it at that.
I'd say my hi-viz definitely gets me seen esp. important when I'm on the 70 dual carriageways on my commute.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's one of the few situations where I think the safety equation might swing positive for hiviz, due to the very high closing speed of drivers.

If you really want to be seen, ride a recumbent. It's far more effective than Hiviz, but perhaps only because there are so very few recumbent riders.

Tynan

Veteran
BentMikey said:
The problem specifically with HiViz is that it doesn't do much for your visibility, and yet it brings on risk compensation. That will tend to either make the safety benefit nil, or make it slightly more dangerous through your own actions. And as Andy says, it'll up your anger when you get another SMIDSY.

It's nothing to do with coolness, it's all about misplaced effort towards safety. There's a reason it's known as urban camouflage.

wow, go on then, show any sort of proof at all for any of those statements, I don't agree with any of them at all

hi viz doesn't do anything for visibility?

it sounds exactly like a sophist argument for people that don't want o wear hi viz

and people wearing regular kit are less angry when they're knocked off their bike for no fault of their own?

Plax

Guru
From my "car driver" opinion, I'm all for hi viz, much easier to see at a distance (in daylight of course!) and therefore you can compensate for speed and road positioning etc much further in advance. Same goes for a well lit and reflective cyclist at night- spotted much earlier.

I personally don't agree that Hi-Viz can make you more lax in your approach to your own safety. Certainly not for me anyways. If you've made the effort to wear hi-viz and get kitted out with proper lights, then your probably the type that takes your safety very seriously and is on the look out for trouble. I'm always on the defensive and always anticipate that a car is going to pull out in front of me, or cross over right in front of me etc. It's a nice change for when they don't!

As always it's the minority that spoil it for the majority. There is always going to be that car driver that doesn't see the cyclist lit up like a christmas tree, or the cyclist that will take unnecessary risks with theor own safety (more out of ignorance than anything else I think. There are a lot if ignorant people about).

Top Bottom