Reflectors for bladed spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Is there such a thing?

I have the small tubular reflectors that clip onto individual round spokes on one bike, but in the process of 'winterising' another I've just realised they don't clip onto bladed spokes.

A very quick google didn't turn up anything. Anyone know of anything available, or any top tips?

Citius

My top tip is leave them off. Visibility at 90deg to your direction of travel is rarely useful.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My top tip is leave them off. Visibility at 90deg to your direction of travel is rarely useful.

Only when right turning across traffic or crossing a junction to your left.

You'd hope drivers in view at that point would register your presence even when your lights are perpendicular to the observer and at their least effective for being seen by but SMIDSY was coined for a reason.

For a pittance of outlay and fitting, anything that helps fight against that motoring ignorance, even occasionally shouldn't be sniffed at.

@simon.r have you considered reflective sidewall tyres?

adamhearn

Veteran
I have bladed [though not huge wind sails] spokes and use the 3M reflective slotted tubes on them. They don't clip around but rather clip on to the spokes.

Apart from the slot they offer a reflective surface that is around the spoke so can be seen at good angles. Personally I don't see why anyone would argue that anything to improve visibility at night wouldn't be a good idea.

Citius

Like I said - 'rarely' useful. Unless you spend your entire ride going round roundabouts.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Bladed spokes would suggest quite good wheels on quite a sporty bike. Fitting plastic reflectors would be like sticking extra reflectors on the back of a Ferrari!

Top Bottom