Reforming the UCI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
I apologise if this is slightly off-topic but I was very surprised to see how very Anglo-Saxon the trio appointed to look into LA's dealings with the UCI are. I've absolutely no reason to doubt their integrity but isn't 2 Brits and an Aussie (with British law qualifications) appointed by another Aussie a strangely narrow choice for an international organisation?
Guardian article here : http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/30/commission-uci-lance-armstrong-case
Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson, Sir Philip Otton & Malcolm Holmes QC

Pretty good panel though. I presume they are above reproach, but I await the results of the CC research department.

thom

____
T Grey-Thompson needs no introduction
google....:

Sir Philip Otton :
In the field of sports law, he is a Judge of the International Court of Appeal for cases relating to Formula 1 and he has served as an arbitrator in disputes involving English Football Premier League players and clubs, chaired Football Association disciplinary proceedings, and has served as sole Mediator in disputes relating to Formula 1 Racing companies and the 2007 America's cup.

Malcolm Holmes QC :
He has also acted as an arbitrator with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) based in Lausanne, Switzerland since 1995 and was a member of the Ad Hoc Division of CAS at the Athens Olympic Games in 2004 and at the Torino Olympic Games in 2006.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I apologise if this is slightly off-topic but I was very surprised to see how very Anglo-Saxon the trio appointed to look into LA's dealings with the UCI are. I've absolutely no reason to doubt their integrity but isn't 2 Brits and an Aussie (with British law qualifications) appointed by another Aussie a strangely narrow choice for an international organisation?
I absolutely understand what you're saying but I can't find fault with the selection.

Buddfox

Veteran
I think it's pretty hard across three people to get a geographically diverse representation of cycling. Just go for the best people you can get?

raindog

er.....
why?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The new independent commission has given 'stakeholders' only six days to submit their views to their inquiry. Absolutely ridiculous. Oh, and as the Cylingnews story also says, fans aren't considered to be stakeholders at all and 'there appears to be no way for fans of the sport to participate or be represented in the consultation process"...
Unless I'm mistaken, that is the UCI calling for input not the commission.
"The UCI pointed out that the consultation, which will take place in the first quarter of 2013, is separate from the external Independent Commission, which has been asked to investigate the issues and allegations contained in the USADA decision relating to the Armstrong affair"

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Unless I'm mistaken, that is the UCI calling for input not the commission.
"The UCI pointed out that the consultation, which will take place in the first quarter of 2013, is separate from the external Independent Commission, which has been asked to investigate the issues and allegations contained in the USADA decision relating to the Armstrong affair"

You're quite right. I am sure the Commission will be rather better than the UCI. The UCI's consultation is however, rather ridiculous, and even more so because it seems to come in advance of the Commission.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You're quite right. I am sure the Commission will be rather better than the UCI. The UCI's consultation is however, rather ridiculous, and even more so because it seems to come in advance of the Commission.
Ridiculous indeed. Unseemly scrabbling for position and credibility.

Top Bottom