Reforming the UCI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hope Hein is quivering in his crocodile skin slippers and red velvet smoking jacket while puffing furiously on a sobranie in an ivory cigarette holder.
Not everyone lounges around like you, Rich.

Amidst all the doping banning, suspending and resigning this week, the UCI has quietly nominated Artur Lopez and Daniel Baal to negotiate with WADA the establishment of the 'truth' and reconciliation process. No Fat Pat.

I don't know enough to make any judgement on the nominated pair (fortunately we can rely on Thom's research department to give us their background), but it's interesting that they've been selected as McQuaid and Verbruggen have kept tight rein thus far on anything which might threaten their hegemony.

I'd guess there is one of three possible explanations:
1. WADA will not speak to the dirty duo because they do not trust them
2. The UCI committee's hormone shots are kicking in and they've eventually developed the guts to recognise the damage being done to their reputation by McQ-V, or
3. The selected duo are straw men, put up by the power brokers to screw around with WADA until everyone forgets about the whole sordid business.

oldroadman

Veteran
Artur Lopez is a UCI Vice-President from South America, I think, and Damial Baal a very well respected person from the French Federation. Lopez has been mentioned as being worried by the GB domination of track (so after the TdF he must be paranoid!) because people lose interest when Gb do all the winning. Funny how that was never as issue when other countries did the same.

resal

Veteran
No idea, so did a search.
Artur Lopez
http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI1/layout.asp?MenuId=MTI2Njg&LangId=1
Member of Management Committee (2001-…)

Damial Baal
http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI1/layout.asp?MenuId=MTY1OTQ&LangId=1
Du 1er octobre 2001 au 31 janvier 2004, Directeur du Cyclisme - Amaury Sports Organisation.
Président de la Commission de VTT de l’UCI de 2001 à 2009.
Membre du Conseil Fédéral d’Appel de la FFC, depuis 2005.
Membre du Conseil de Lutte contre le Dopage de l’UCI, de 1998 à 2008.

Was Baal on the team that heard Bauge's case ?

I am not at all hopeful for any of these people that have been around for years. When was it that Walsh/Kimage first raised the issue of the donation from Lance to the UCI ? 2003 or 2004 ? That should have sent up the rockets and anyone with scruples near that bunch should have been battering the door down to see the certified accounts for the year in question. It is just like the BBC and Saville. They sat there waiting for irrefutable proof to be presented to them rather than live up to the responsibilities of their posts. When Lance had chased down Simeoni there was only one conclusion any sane person could come to and these guys at the top had to act.

They didn't . They took the lunches and air tickets out of our subs and let Pat and Hein continue the BS.
Even if they say the right things now, they have proved by their inaction over the last 10 years that they are not up to the job.

Another great week for the UCI.

CAS reinstates Katusha and then this from David Howman
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/feb/15/drugs-wada-organised-crime

What struck me in particular is the use of UCI as the byword for incompetence and ineptitude:
According to Wada's figures, the number of adverse or atypical findings across sport is just under 2%. But according to a study of blood samples collected after the Daegu World Athletics Championships in 2011, estimates of the prevalence of blood doping averaged 14%. "That means that it's more than what people think, that's all you can say. I would put athletics in that bunch – as a potential new UCI. That's an area where we've got to be very attentive. The IAAF, to be fair, are aware of it. They've introduced a [biological] passport and we hope they'll continue with it."

What will next week bring?

oldroadman

Veteran
Here's a very interesting read "The dirtiest race in history" by Richard Moore. Not about cycling, but an Olympic 100 meters final. Ben Johnson got caught, and of the other 7 5 have been caught since. BUt the stuff in the book around "lost" lists linking codes on sample bottles to competitors, which the IOC had custody of, and other ructions between IOC and IAAF make a lot of the current stuff look very tame. Everything but the word "(alleged) corruption" is used. Nothing proved, of course.

BJH

Über Member
If you watch the BBC documentary on the same subject, it is difficult not to believe that almost every runner in that 100 metre final is or was a doper.

I mentioned in a previous post about Don Caitlin's analysis of tests from the Los Angeles games tests - he ended up stopping because they were just so bad that it was depressing.

Top Bottom