Regaining my mojo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Why not give it a go? Time trial is an easy way to start, gives you another reason to ride.
I would recommend time trials as well. Whenever I stop the time trials, the incentive for keeping up the training disappears and a week of non cycling slips into a month or more.

As far as distances are concerned, I believe in "less is more". Far better to do a 30-60 min ride 3 or 4 times a week, than it is to do a longer ride at weekends.

If I'm not feeling it I just go into maintenance mode which is the very minimum I need to keep some fitness because starting from nothing is such a ball ache. In fact I'm just coming back out of only getting out once a week for an hour, although that was more holidays and family commitments but so long as you keep going you can slack off occasionally without losing too much.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Using the bike to travel to places is much more satisfying than just going round the same routes every weekend. You can do that by making use of trains to get to or from places, depending on the wind direction on the day.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why not give it a go? Time trial is an easy way to start, gives you another reason to ride.
It's even more boring to do than it is to watch. Oh sorry, was that rhetorical? ;)

I'm with all the sightseers and tourists above. Use the bike to travel interesting routes to interesting things - at this time of year, routes through cool coombes and woods can be lovely on hot days, but they're in short supply where I live now. Sometimes I do that and sometimes I use the bike for utility journeys (I'm off to buy some tomatoes in a bit). I've done various types of riding in circles for the sake of it over the years (including Audaxes, TT and fast closed-road circuits - never mass-start racing IIRC) but I never really "got" it and much prefer being able to stop and look at stuff without having a clock running.

Using the bike to travel to places is much more satisfying than just going round the same routes every weekend. You can do that by making use of trains to get to or from places, depending on the wind direction on the day.

I too prefer to "go somewhere" on a bike, rather than do a round. Examples could be to cycle to a particular (not much originality here) cafe. I like water, so will ride to reservoirs (Carsington, Rutland), I have a reservoir ride planned that covers about 6 reservoirs. There are probably destinations that may interest you? I have a plan for cycling to the Coventry transport museum. And a museum in Nottingham that has a Raleighs. Audax rides? Maybe plan a cycling holiday? Veloviewer squares http://blog.veloviewer.com/veloviewer-explorer-score-and-max-square/ ? Top 100 climbs in reach? Go to the same places, but by new routes? See what other rides others have done in your region on websites like ridewithgps or cycle.travel

I know the feeling, my running Mojo is wavering

lost_mojo_ad_b.jpg

It only seems to return for ParkRuns, & the http://www.trunce.org/ at the moment
Club-runs, & running to work, are definitely losing out

October may be different, as I have the Withins to look towards
A glorious race, as can be seen here; https://get.google.com/albumarchive/pwa/110439573756197443848/album/6055951919718430561?source=pwa

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Lots of good advice here WW but it really depends on your temperament and where you are at in life right now. I would normally advise the more toury/sightseeing type approach but you've always struck me as being a bit more goal orientated. Maybe you could experiment with different bike builds, type of riding and perhaps target yourself to see just what you can do with a bike. Can yo ride with a trailer?, do a full shop?, tip runs?, geocaching?, there are many possibilities. Until you try you don't know what might fire you up. Next you might be on here seeking advice on cargo bikes, hub gears and working evenings as a cycle delivery/courier:whistle:

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Lots of good advice here WW but it really depends on your temperament and where you are at in life right now. I would normally advise the more toury/sightseeing type approach but you've always struck me as being a bit more goal orientated. Maybe you could experiment with different bike builds, type of riding and perhaps target yourself to see just what you can do with a bike. Can yo ride with a trailer?, do a full shop?, tip runs?, geocaching?, there are many possibilities. Until you try you don't know what might fire you up. Next you might be on here seeking advice on cargo bikes, hub gears and working evenings as a cycle delivery/courier:whistle:
Already done the cycle courier bit, well rid of that now lol!

postman

Legendary Member
I was off the bike most of last year due to Prostate problems.I also am having trouble getting it back.I also seem to be losing days to other things.Uni visits ,in law visits,gardening,and crappy weather.The odd days i would go out always seem crap.But i am going to start putting cycling at the front of my to do lists.Today i put the spare bike back on the turbo.My mate bought a mountain bike so i went out and bought a new back tyre,we still have not been out down the tow path.So today i swapped tyres again,i need to exercise ,i am also waiting for a delivery of a curl bar and weights,i need to lose aq few pounds and get rid of the waist line,good old e bay.Ripped i tell you i am going to be ripped.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My mojo has gone today :sad:
Had a headache for 2 days due to a week of fark all sleep on night shift and family commitments meant i havent had a decent sleep since last sunday night .Lay awake till 3 am when i succumbed to paracetemol to take the edge off .
Should be going on a club ride as its the last chance for a couple of weeks but instead i am vegging .

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
The little terror on the right of my avatar is responsible for my lost mojo. I don't mind a 5am start if I'm going to do fifty miles before breakfast, but when it's her waking me up, demanding TV and having meltdowns when I tell her it's too early, the urge to go out is killed somewhat. As my increased bulk testifies.

Top Bottom