Reheating chicken?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As if, you're too busy with your new Bestie @Bollo I even hear he's a new new Bestie, up to version 2.0 now apparently...I knew him when he was a 1.7, not as swanky or carbon obsessed but a decent chap then
I can't immediately think of a reply to this post or in fact imagine I can think of a reply.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
That's only partly true. Whilst cooking will kill bacteria it doesn't kill the toxins that might have been released while the food was tepid for a period of time. This is how the old rice sickness occurs.
The truck is to heat food to piping hot quickly and then cool quickly afterwards. Don't let it hang around, get it in the fridge pronto. You can then heat and cool many times without issue.

It's mental to put hot stuff in the fridge though!

gbb

Legendary Member
If you had rice with it...i wouldn't reheat the rice. If allowed to spoil in any way there is a bacteria that can potentially develop that reheating, however hot, will not kill.

Hmm - I do that all the time.

Basically because I found a recipe for the way Iranian housewives cook rice ... and it is gorgeous (well worth the effort, despite being a bit fiddly and time-consuming, and not working for small one-person quantities).

Simple precautions? As soon as it's cool enough, it's in to the fridge or freezer - all ready to make a kedgeree or whatever at a later date.

As with most things food related, most of us get away without problems because we might occasionally cut corners but are'nt stupid. You're obviously doing it right. I do reheat rice myself now i think about it but i am very careful about refrigerating asap as well..

Linky for the real threat...IF anyone really cuts corners...

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's mental to put hot stuff in the fridge though!
No not really, unless it's a massive amount all in one g as there's quite a thermal mass in a fairly full fridge. If I'd made a big F/off Le Creuset-full (seeking to confirm my middle class credentials) I'd pre-cool it in a sink/bowl of cold water first, but other than that, whack it in!

That's only partly true. Whilst cooking will kill bacteria it doesn't kill the toxins
Which is why I said "pathogens".

<quickly checks OED and wikipedia, to make sure I have the meaning correct>

Seems weird to me,why cook them then freeze them, then defrost?, Why not just put raw ones in the freezer then defrost and cook?.
Looking at your way of doing things you are heating them/cooking them 3 times?
I think you might end up wih food poisoning if you dont watch it, meat isnt supposed to be continally reheated like this.Have you been on a food hygiene course? they talk about things like this.
You need to be very carefull you dont want to end up really poorly.
If we have had a chicken I pick the remaining meat off and freeze it for a curry.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4986316, member: 45"]I'm in the Surgical Assessment Unit. On a drip.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't the drip mind doubling up in a hospital bed,

byegad

Legendary Member
My general rule is that you can freeze all meat once when raw and, for some, again when cooked. However personally I'd not do the latter with Chicken or any other bird, and I'd think seriously before doing it with Pork.

Top Bottom