Rejoining British Cycling & promotional codes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JackPack

Regular
I was a member of British Cycling (free Fan membership from HSBC) and want to rejoin for the benefits. I found some discount codes but it doesn't let me enter them. There's an Optional Extras section but it skips it.

Are promotional codes only available to new members?

vickster

Legendary Member
Usually yes. Although they did offer me a discount straight after my membership lapsed (deliberately)…I didn’t rejoin
There might be some sort of referral code via an existing member.
What specific benefits do you want? There may be cheaper options not sponsored by Shell ;) eg LAKA

OP
OP
J

JackPack

Regular
Ah, I didn't know that.

I wanted the Halfords discount and insurance. I know Cycling UK do similar benefits but it's £48/yr vs £44 for BC Ride.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Out of curiosity, which insurance do you want/need? I used the be with British Cycling myself (same HSBC deal) but again let it lapse. I use Wiggle for my insurance, I've only got the basic public liability cover but it's only £24 a year. I did try using the Halfords discount offer when I had it and my local branch knew nothing about it, got it in the end but it was a lot of aggro for a small saving.

vickster

Legendary Member
LAKA a £1 a month for 3rd party liability (you don’t get public liability per se from BC) and legal cover.
Quite often get a 10pc discount from Halfords or stuff cheaper elsewhere. If buying a Boardman bike though for example you’ll easily cover £44 or £48 fee

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Sometimes there's offers to refer a friend where you both get some vouchers or e.g. SIS supplements with first year...

Slick

Guru
I have a RIDE membership, but there are a number of other categories that might work better depending on the type you cycling you do.

With RIDE, I do get liability insurance up to 20 million, with no excess to pay. This includes legal costs preparing any defence required as well as any award made against you. There is also free legal support if you are the wronged party, and if all that isn't enough, they have preferential rates for any additional insurance you may require. Discounts include, 15% off Kalas, and 10% off Freewheel and Halfords, which has changed a bit as instead of just flashing your card to get the discount, you need to log on and download this month's QR code. Its not the end of the world and my local branch gives me the discount off everything, not just cycling related products.

I really just maintain my membership as I want to support British Cycling and quite often visit events at the velodrome, so I would be a member even without the add ons, but the discounts are nice and easily pay for my membership every year.

OP
OP
J

JackPack

Regular
I was looking at 3rd party and legal advice, in case someone causes injury to me.

Not heard of LAKA before, seems great value though. Is £2m enough for TP? It's 10m CUK and 20m BC. Also Laka's public liability policy says there's an excess but no figure is mentioned on the website.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Screenshot_20230103_135348_Chrome.jpg

Have you tried creating a new email address and registering as a new member as opposed to reactivating a lapsed membership?

I get free fan membership for being registered as an accredited marshal though, due to work commitments I have not marshalled for several years. I pay the difference between fan and ride so get ride membership for £18.

OP
OP
J

JackPack

Regular
Regular.Cyclist, I'll give that a go later.

Pros and cons so far
British Cycling: has legal advice but doesn't cover against BC members
Cycling UK: cover against anyone but no legal advice
Laka: cheaper, has legal advice and cover against anyone but only £2m cover plus unknown excess

OP
OP
J

JackPack

Regular
Laka replied:
The excess for the liability policy is £150 for accidental damage to property claims. There is no excess for accidental bodily injury or defence costs.

Top Bottom