Relacquering carbon fibre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Can it be done easily and cheaply, and if so what is a suitable laquer to use? It's for a repair on a part, not a frame.

jack smith

Veteran
I used halfords lastweek and its been fine

screenman

Legendary Member
I would not use a single pack as in Halfords as it has very little in the way of weathering protection, and will soon in my opinion look rubbish.

If you cannot twin pack it yourself get somebody to do it for you.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
I would not use a single pack as in Halfords as it has very little in the way of weathering protection, and will soon in my opinion look rubbish.

If you cannot twin pack it yourself get somebody to do it for you.
I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth my while buying a part on the cheap that needs relaquering. If it's PITA or something I can't do myself, I shan't bother.

gbb

Legendary Member
If you can find a local vehicle spray paint supplier, they'll do lacquer in an aerosol can.
I used such lacquer on an alloy bike I'd sprayed, it worked fine.
It wasnt 2 pack, but it wasnt cheap either, it may have been £8 a can 5 years ago IIRC, that may be the difference.
Spraying CF I know nothing about. I suppose if its been spray painted, you re lacquering paint not CF, so it shouldnt be an issue id have thought. Bare CF ?..not sure.

screenman

Legendary Member
What part is it, I used halfords laquer on everything from the frame to seatpost and it won't chip or scratch when applied properly

Sorry but I have taught paint spraying, I also had Duponts European technical director here for training, so I guess I know a little about painting. Single pack is soft, fades quickly and chips easily.

Of course your eye for detail and changes in paint may not quite be so tuned in as mine, and you may be happy with a second rate finish.

Why when single pack is cheaper are all bikes from the factory finished when sprayed in twin pack.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would add that the Halfrauds laquer, which is Upol 2085 one of the better aerosol lawyers available.

jack smith

Veteran
Sorry but I have taught paint spraying, I also had Duponts European technical director here for training, so I guess I know a little about painting. Single pack is soft, fades quickly and chips easily.

Of course your eye for detail and changes in paint may not quite be so tuned in as mine, and you may be happy with a second rate finish.

Why when single pack is cheaper are all bikes from the factory finished when sprayed in twin pack.

Sorry but your coming across abit arsey there i never said you wernt such an expert in paint im just saying if it is just a component its an easy option. i got some from halfords lasweek and ive taken a screwdriver to it without issue they wouldnt bother selling it for so long if it didnt do the job.

screenman

Legendary Member
Sorry but your coming across abit arsey there i never said you wernt such an expert in paint im just saying if it is just a component its an easy option. i got some from halfords lasweek and ive taken a screwdriver to it without issue they wouldnt bother selling it for so long if it didnt do the job.

You really trust Halfords that much.

I come across as arsey because I know what I am talking about.

sight-pin

Veteran
Bring back cellulose i say.
I resprayed my old car pillar box red with a single pack when acrylic first came out, i didn't know about it should be 2 pack etc, when it rained i would have pink spots appear until it dried:rolleyes:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Any frame finisher will do it better than you can and affordably. Talk to Atlantic Boulevard in Bury, he does a lot for people who want to revive a tired frame.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's a rear mech, the lacquer's been chipped around the limit screws. TBH, if it's any more hassle than something I can just slap on and then wet & dry smooth, it isn't worth my time and I'll just cough up for a new one.

jack smith

Veteran
Honestly just give it a light sand and a laquer from a can. it's not as if it's a part of the bike that needs a professional spray job

gbb

Legendary Member
I would add that the Halfrauds laquer, which is Upol 2085 one of the better aerosol lawyers available.
Upol was the brand i got from a local vehicle finishers, proper spray paint suppliers, never had any issues with it on my cranks or frame. I certainly wouldnt let the fact Halfords are selling it deter me OP.

Top Bottom