Remake of "True Grit"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IMO, remakes are seldom if ever 'better' than the original - in fact comparision itself is flawed as it's not really comparing like with like. Technology, dialogue etc have all moved on.

I'll watch the remake if the reviews are favourable. Otherwise, I won't bother.

I'm a big fan of Jeff Bridges, but I don't think this film'll do him any favours!

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8QLMWN0yNs&feature=related

I think the Coen brothers should stick to black-comedy films!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I should point out that it isn't a 'remake' of the film, it's a new film based on the same novel as the previous one. There is a big difference.

And there are many films that are based on the same source material, and sometimes the later versions are better, or they do something as good but different - and the same for some straight remakes. I give you The Maltese Falcon (yes, the Bogart version was a remake), His Girl Friday, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Imitation of Life, The Four Feathers, The Magnificent Seven, Nosferatu, The Fly, The Thing, Cape Fear, 12 Monkeys, The Talented Mr Ripley, De battre mon coeur s’est arrêté, Ocean's Eleven...

There are probably many more. The thing I really object to, artistically at least, is the resurrection of things for the purpose of 'franchising'. The franchise is the enemy of decent movies. Oh, and most of the time, Hollywood remaking French films - that almost never works.

I should point out that it isn't a 'remake' of the film, it's a new film based on the same novel as the previous one. There is a big difference.

In the same way as the James Bond films are an "interpretation" of the Ian Fleming books?

The only real similarity between the two is the name of the main character!

Top Bottom