Remember the Sony Walkman - a walk down memory lane.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As a school kid, asked mum and dad but got a straight no. With no internet, no social media etc, we only had music then.

https://www.theverge.com/2014/7/1/5861062/sony-walkman-at-35

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Remember it? I've still got mine.

Drago

Legendary Member
With no internet, no social media etc, we only had music...
...and books, tv, radio, comics, magazines, saturdat morning cinema, bikes with which to roam and explore, go carts with which to hospitalise ourselves, trees to climb, footballs to kick, jumpers for goal posts, trees to climb, bullets to play with...

In terms of diversity of distraction there was nothing wrong with way back when. We may have more to keep us occupied now, yet somehow most of us end up actually doing less.

Brandane

Legendary Member
...and books, tv, radio, comics, magazines, saturdat morning cinema, bikes with which to roam and explore, go carts with which to hospitalise ourselves, trees to climb, footballs to kick, jumpers for goal posts, trees to climb, bullets to play with...

In terms of diversity of distraction there was nothing wrong with way back when. We may have more to keep us occupied now, yet somehow most of us end up actually doing less.
To add.. public swimming pools, fishing rods, girls, subutteo, proper (not FB) friends who you actually met up with, board games, playing cards, marbles, record players.....
It seems now if it doesn't involve a computer it's not "cool". So glad I was born in the 60's 😄.

I seem to remember reading the original one was made for the CEO of Sony for his personal use.

I still have a Walkman but of the MP3 variety. When I remember to charge it up it works very well and has quite a nice sound for MP3

Drago

Legendary Member
When i first joined the Feds as was in Kennington for 3 months I bought the top bollards walkman, all electronic servo controlled mechanism, remote controls in the headphone cord, barely bigger than the cassette itself. IIRC it was 150 odd quid even back then.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I loved my alternative-brand Walkman as well as my mini-disc player. I still have the mini-disc player, but not the Walkman.

I didn’t like portable CD players. The slightest bump and the music skipped.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Ah the Walkman. That curious slurring effect it did to music when you tried running with it on.

As a reward for passing my O Grades, I was told I could have a present and asked for a Walkman. My dad didn't know what it was, so I explained.

Whilst all my mates were cutting about with Walkmans or the equivalent, I had this -

1615451058479.png

Used to hold it up to the radio and tape things off the Top 40 on a Sunday night.

Gunk

Guru
I remember listening to one for the first time and it was amazing, the sound quality was like a decent HiFi, I’ve still got mine somewhere in the loft.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My first cassette player was a Sony TC 66. Ironically, I had to sell my then bike (a Philips) to finance it!

View attachment 578056
Note the lack of a pause button. When taping multiple songs off the radio you either had to record the massive "clunk" of the stop button or switch it off at the wall. First time I saw a pause button I thought it was wizardry.

Top Bottom