Remote Control on/off stopped working......some questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
As I say......it will increase/decrease volume but not switch on/off.

My LG TV does that sometimes. The fix has been to switch off and unplug the TV for 5 minutes (sound box in your case), remove the batteries from the remote control, then press and hold the power button on the remote for 20 seconds. Replace batteries, plug device back in and it should work, at least it does for my TV.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
My LG TV does that sometimes. The fix has been to switch off and unplug the TV for 5 minutes (sound box in your case), remove the batteries from the remote control, then press and hold the power button on the remote for 20 seconds. Replace batteries, plug device back in and it should work, at least it does for my TV.
a sort of hard reset of the system

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you are a real luddite and cannot be bothered to sync with the TV etc, then simply putting the remote control model number into eBay will probably find you a new one or a copy. I think my last remote cost me £3.50 delivered.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Technophobe here......how do I do that ?
A bit redundant if the remote does work for volume.

But....remotes work with infra red. I don't have night vision, but any phone camera should see a flash from the LED when you press a button. It's just a basic check of whether the remote has any life.

icowden

Veteran
If part of the remote isn't working, has anything been spilled on it?

Personally unless it is very tightly glued, it may be worth taking it apart and checking to see if the buttons pad or circuit board needs a bit of a clean, or if there is damage to the underside of the button. In remotes the button usually has a conductive back that touches a printed circuit board. They are pretty easy to check and clean. If that has no effect, then there may be a bigger electrical fault somewhere, in which case a new remote is probably the best option.

Gillstay

Über Member
Our TV control started playing up, so I opened up the remote and cleaned up the rubber keys and the circuit board with electrical contact cleaner. Works fine now.
I did the same. An got the same result.

presta

Guru
If it's got a silicone rubber keypad, you can bet your bottom dollar that's what's knackered, they must be the most unreliable, short lived component in the whole of the electronics industry. My Humax handset's knackered already and it's only a couple of years old, but it has a visible LED as well as the I/R one, so you can easily see when the buttons are playing up.
Failure of individual keys on a remote's membrane keyboard isn't that uncommon.
A membrane keypad is a different kettle of fish entirely.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If it's got a silicone rubber keypad, you can bet your bottom dollar that's what's knackered, they must be the most unreliable, short lived component in the whole of the electronics industry. My Humax handset's knackered already and it's only a couple of years old, but it has a visible LED as well as the I/R one, so you can easily see when the buttons are playing up.
I have the same problem with MY Humax remote control!

It started off with the TV button (middle of top row; makes the remote control the TV) then the STB button went (left of top row; makes the remote control the Humax box), finally the On/off button itself stopped working (right of top row).

I think the PCB under the buttons flexes and eventually cracks some tracks, but I haven't taken the control to pieces to check.

I bought one of those lookalike remotes on ebay but discovered that it is only about 95% compatible! Some buttons are in a different position, but a couple of them don't exist - Recordings and List, both of which I use a lot.

So it was back to the faulty control and some workarounds - I discovered that if you press any of the buttons labelled 0/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 that turns the Humax box on, that turns the TV on, and that turns the soundbar on! I have the system set up so the Humax box and soundbar are turned off when the TV turns off. It means I need to keep 2 remotes handy now rather than just 1.

Actually 3 controls - I turn the soundbar off at night and use headphones instead in case my neighbours or guests could hear my TV on until 3-4 a.m.!

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
^_^
Not a lot but its like having a d og and barking yourself.
I paid for a remote.
I have a remote
I just want it fully functional (if possible)
If you feel confident to open the remote you will almost certainly find a silicone membrane under the keys. This is to keep out crumbs, liquids.

Very often the silicone becomes a bit oily as it cures over a few years. A quick dip into the washing up then drying, followed by reassembly will almost certainly have it working like new.

It's one of my repair party tricks.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you feel confident to open the remote you will almost certainly find a silicone membrane under the keys. This is to keep out crumbs, liquids.

Very often the silicone becomes a bit oily as it cures over a few years. A quick dip into the washing up then drying, followed by reassembly will almost certainly have it working like new.

It's one of my repair party tricks.
That sounds worth trying! I might give that a go this evening...

Gillstay

Über Member
I had one I could not open, so bought another used one very cheap on e bay, broke into it, worked out how to do it with less damage, and then mended mine.

Top Bottom