Remote Control on/off stopped working......some questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Our TV control started playing up, so I opened up the remote and cleaned up the rubber keys and the circuit board with electrical contact cleaner. Works fine now.
Personally unless it is very tightly glued, it may be worth taking it apart and checking to see if the buttons pad or circuit board needs a bit of a clean, or if there is damage to the underside of the button. In remotes the button usually has a conductive back that touches a printed circuit board. They are pretty easy to check and clean.
+1. Worked for me :okay:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
TV, soundbox etc all Sony.
We have a similar problem with our Sony TV about three times a year.
Surefire solution (so far!) is to cut off power to the set, i.e. don't just switch it off, pull the plug out, leave it for about ten minutes, then plug back in and switch on.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's very satisfying to do and impressive to non-technical people^_^, unlike repairing neighbours bikes which usually results in bruises and grazes.
Hmm, I have opened up the remote looking for gunk, and I found biscuit crumbs, scraps of hair, and...

GUNK!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

The normal switches were bad enough but for some reason they had decided to make the power switch with a dome-shaped piece of metal held in place by a sticky pad... Gunk everywhere, including above, round, and under the piece of metal. I'm not convinced that it is all going to stay in place now I have degunked it and stuck it back down. I'm leaving it for a while for any residual drops of degunking water to evaporate. Meanwhile - enjoy some gunky pics...! :okay:

Gunk (and detritus) on rubbery switch pad:

Gunk (and detritus) from rubbery switch pad on otherwise pristine white paper:

Gunk on the circuit board:

I'm just having a mug of tea and will then see if I have successfully...

... killed the remote control altogether! ^_^

ColinJ

Attempt #3... All back together properly. Test the switches. The power switch works now - yay!

I went through testing all of the other buttons. Yes, they all work.

Oh, what about the STB/TV switches?

TV - yes, the control now operates the TV instead of the STB.

I suddenly remember why I had a piece of Blutak over the TV switch... The STB switch was 100% dead before and I was convinced that it would never work again. Last time I pressed the TV button it took me days to switch back to the STB mode. And it has happened again!!! :banghead:

I agree that remote controls can get gunked up, and cleaning them before you have destroyed a switch trying to get it to work when gunked up is probably a good idea. Doing what I just did ISN'T! :okay:

I'll put the Blutak back over the TV button and probably spend the next month trying to get the control back into STB mode. (Though leaving the batteries out overnight might do the job unless the device stores the setting in non-volatile memory.)

ColinJ

I'll put the Blutak back over the TV button and probably spend the next month trying to get the control back into STB mode.
I finally got it going again, but I think overall it is worse than before I started! :whistle:

Still, I have confirmed that this kind of remote control DOES seem to get gunged up inside. If I have problems with one again I will give it a spring clean sooner rather than later.
I think I'd have just got up to turn it off and on. Seems easier. 😁
The stupid thing is I had already discovered an alternative way on the remote.

There are many functions that can only be done from the remote control but unfortunately, one of those doesn't have a button on my ebay-sourced replacement control.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hmm, I have opened up the remote looking for gunk, and I found biscuit crumbs, scraps of hair, and...

GUNK!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

The normal switches were bad enough but for some reason they had decided to make the power switch with a dome-shaped piece of metal held in place by a sticky pad... Gunk everywhere, including above, round, and under the piece of metal. I'm not convinced that it is all going to stay in place now I have degunked it and stuck it back down. I'm leaving it for a while for any residual drops of degunking water to evaporate. Meanwhile - enjoy some gunky pics...! :okay:

Gunk (and detritus) on rubbery switch pad:
View attachment 610189

Gunk (and detritus) from rubbery switch pad on otherwise pristine white paper:
View attachment 610187

Gunk on the circuit board:
View attachment 610188

I'm just having a mug of tea and will then see if I have successfully...

... killed the remote control altogether! ^_^
Set top box PIN 2541?

Top Bottom