Remote Controlled e-Bike Lock, a few questions :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

qucon2015

Hey everybody,

I am Stanislav Nazarenus and a student of the University of applied Science in
Utrecht, Netherlands.
For the current project a few of my class mates and me need to develop a
product which will be produced and brought on the market.

Therefore we use the Business Model Canvas. So far we have almost our minimal
feasible product which is a Remote Controlled Bike-lock (like car lock) for
e-bikes. The first field test with retail shops and potential customers turned
out positive.
Further we want to carry out an actual survey and get a prove from
professionals about our customer segment, which are working people between
25-45 with a upper-middle stable income with an affinity for convinience and
design in urban Netherlands.

Attached is our first sketch of the product and the link to the survey

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/remote_controlled_bike_lock

Thx for your help :smile:

Attachments

• qucon2.jpg
    qucon2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 69
  • qucon1.jpg
    qucon1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 69

Slioch

Guru
Not done. I'm too old :sad:

Slioch

Guru
25-45 with a upper-middle stable income with an affinity for convenience
design in urban Netherlands.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Basically the target audience is limited to middle-aged Hipsters working in Media or IT who live in Amsterdam. Do we have any of those on here?

(the above comment may contain some massive generalisations)

OP
OP
Q

qucon2015

Maybe :smile:
I would not say that particularly are Hipsters. The segment of e-bike owners is getting younger. Here is only important for us to catch this trend.
What do you think about it?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I would worry the ruddy thing might deploy itself while I was riding along.

To use the Abus pavement lock on my trekking bike you have to insert the key and turn it before it will move, so it is locked open as well as shut.

KneesUp

Guru
[QUOTE 3641717, member: 45"]Designed for people too lazy to lean down and twist a key.[/QUOTE]
But you'd have to lean down to attach it anyway, wouldn't you? When locking up my bike I've never thought "oh here we go with the complicated and time-consuming key-turning bit" :smile:

A remote controlled 'plipper' to lock the front and back door of the house would be good, with perhaps a flash of the hall light to confirm - that'd save me 7 minutes a week :smile:

OP
OP
Q

qucon2015

Right, Pale Rider!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont care where you are from but if you want to post on an English site. Please get your article proof read by someone who speaks English.

I know it sounds harsh, but it drives me nuts.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I would worry the ruddy thing might deploy itself while I was riding along.

To use the Abus pavement lock on my trekking bike you have to insert the key and turn it before it will move, so it is locked open as well as shut.
completely agree.

OP: You also need to be aware that criminals can now obtain scanners/jammers for remote locking systems and could potentially wait at a busy bike park point, capture the signals and then open the locks at will.
There's been a spate on supermarket car parks near me, blocking and interfering with key fobs.

As a rider I'd also be requiring another lock anyway to secure the frame and front wheel too.

PS, I'm near but not really in your chosen demographic

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
A lot of dutch bikes don't get locked to anything, they have these locks that are bolted or welded to the seat stays and you lock through the back wheel. I think it's because the type of bike that uses them is ubiquitous and weighs a ton so there's little point in stealing one anyway. It's more to stop theft of convenience in the rain. One year we rented a couple that also had a cable lock integral to the seat lock, which was handy for our UK paranoia.

I don't see any point in the various e-locks that kickstarter is full of. I'd prefer to risk forgetting my key (which is impossible with this sort of lock anyway as they lock open as well as closed) than having the blipper go flat (or on the multitude that work via an app my smart phone run out of charge). It really is a solution desperately looking for a problem.

I haven't filled in the survey (should you ever come back here) because I'm not a Dutch hipster, so don't qualify.

classic33

Leg End Member
completely agree.

OP: You also need to be aware that criminals can now obtain scanners/jammers for remote locking systems and could potentially wait at a busy bike park point, capture the signals and then open the locks at will.
There's been a spate on supermarket car parks near me, blocking and interfering with key fobs.

As a rider I'd also be requiring another lock anyway to secure the frame and front wheel too.

PS, I'm near but not really in your chosen demographic

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U86P_ByfgY8

OP
OP
Q

qucon2015

To be honest I think this video is a prank :smile:

But nevertheless we though about this problem as well. Where we decided to include NFC technology which is safer due to the short distance, which needs to be reach to hack your bike lock.

Anyway there are several solutions possible, but the most important is here to assess if there is a demand for a remote controlled bike lock. Because to be honest I am sick to lock my bike by hand when it means and you need to put your hands out of your pocket :smile:

Top Bottom